Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the Mainshaft Transmission Oil Deflector (P/N 36300026)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 09:46 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 445 Posts
Default Removing the Mainshaft Transmission Oil Deflector (P/N 36300026)

Has anyone done this? I can't find anything in the service manual regarding this action and not sure what needs to be removed prior to getting in the transmission. Also, the primary vent kit did not come with any gaskets for the transmission so not sure if I need new gaskets or not. Do I need to remove the header? Why must this deflector be removed? Does it cause issues? I can't see this being an issue just because I put a vent in the primary side, seems strange.

I am all for doing what needs to be done but it seems like a lot of work for something that may or may not be there and may or may not make any difference.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:48 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,307 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
Has anyone done this? I can't find anything in the service manual regarding this action and not sure what needs to be removed prior to getting in the transmission. Also, the primary vent kit did not come with any gaskets for the transmission so not sure if I need new gaskets or not. Do I need to remove the header? Why must this deflector be removed? Does it cause issues? I can't see this being an issue just because I put a vent in the primary side, seems strange.

I am all for doing what needs to be done but it seems like a lot of work for something that may or may not be there and may or may not make any difference.
This is why I let the dealer do warranty work, because it's a pain in the a$$. The deflector was designed to collect trans oil and "sling" it around, rather than migrate along the pushrod and into the primary. Problem is, it works very well at collecting oil, but not slinging it, so it makes transfer worse - and also tends to create transfer issues when there otherwise shouldn't be (i.e. when the primary vent is installed).

Per the vent kit instructions (https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....46960640898220), to remove the deflector, it says to remove the transmission side covers - any 2017+ service manual will show how to remove the outer transmission side cover and the inner cover (Section 8.5, page 8-7 in my 2017 manual, as shown below). The deflector just slides off the pushrod.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 862 Likes on 483 Posts

I imagine my '19 Limited still has the oil slinger. Original vent install instructions made no mention of slinger removal. Build date of Feb.

Primary vent installed at 1,000 mile service. I just did the 10,000 mile service last week. Zero transfer in 9,000 miles. Before the vent it would suck the stick dry in a tank of fuel.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:30 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red
I imagine my '19 Limited still has the oil slinger. Original vent install instructions made no mention of slinger removal. Build date of Feb.

Primary vent installed at 1,000 mile service. I just did the 10,000 mile service last week. Zero transfer in 9,000 miles. Before the vent it would suck the stick dry in a tank of fuel.

I am going to have a wait and see on this one then. No sense in removing it if it doesn't need to be. Ad far as I can see it's not detrimental to leave it unless it's still transferring after the vent is installed.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:38 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
This is why I let the dealer do warranty work, because it's a pain in the a$$. The deflector was designed to collect trans oil and "sling" it around, rather than migrate along the pushrod and into the primary. Problem is, it works very well at collecting oil, but not slinging it, so it makes transfer worse - and also tends to create transfer issues when there otherwise shouldn't be (i.e. when the primary vent is installed).

Per the vent kit instructions (https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....46960640898220), to remove the deflector, it says to remove the transmission side covers - any 2017+ service manual will show how to remove the outer transmission side cover and the inner cover (Section 8.5, page 8-7 in my 2017 manual, as shown below). The deflector just slides off the pushrod.
Thanks for the info, now I know what picture to look for and what section, this will be easy to find if I decide to do it. Seems easy, just replacing all the exhaust gaskets is a PITA. Once I commit it shouldn't take long but am going to wait on this one until I know if it needs it or not.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:26 PM
sleighcrane
Tourer
Received 128 Likes on 74 Posts

Wasn't the deflector one of the early transfer fixes and not all bikes have them? So unless you have had a bike in for service not all bikes should have them

Old 10-14-2019, 02:33 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by sleighcrane
Wasn't the deflector one of the early transfer fixes and not all bikes have them? So unless you have had a bike in for service not all bikes should have them
They started installing them on the 19 models.

The following users liked this post:
sleighcrane (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 05:12 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,307 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
Thanks for the info, now I know what picture to look for and what section, this will be easy to find if I decide to do it. Seems easy, just replacing all the exhaust gaskets is a PITA. Once I commit it shouldn't take long but am going to wait on this one until I know if it needs it or not.
You don't need to remove the exhaust, just need to remove the mufflers and the crossover clamp, and loosen the clamp that's near the cam chest, then loosen the header nuts. The only reason you have to do this is to remove the outer trans cover. I'd suggest trimming the lower part of the outer trans cover ~1/8" so you can remove it in the future without messing with the exhaust.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:03 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,025 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I do have firsthand experience with the deflector being left in. Dealer did the warranty job and failed to properly follow the bulletin, bike continued to migrate. Took it back in and asked the service writer if they indeed removed the deflector. He became argumentative and insisted the oil deflector would not have been in the bike unless it was previously installed as a fix. I insisted that all 2019’s came standard with the deflector from the factory. After ranting about how I was wrong, he proceeded to bring up the dealer parts fiche and show me all the places the deflector would be listed. After showing me the clutch section, primary section, and transmission housing section, I told him “now bring up the transmission gears” where I pointed out the deflector was listed as OE equipment. He ate crow, grabbed the mechanic who did the work who also proceeded to bitch about it, but opened it up and took out the deflector. Since then, no issue with migration. The mechanic did however gorilla the f’n derby bolts back on after checking the fluid level in the primary, which I think he did on purpose but that’s another story.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:52 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

You can reuse the gaskets on the transmission side and you will lose some fluid there when you check for that deflector.

Quick Reply: Removing the Mainshaft Transmission Oil Deflector (P/N 36300026)