Sponsored by:

New Light Force 3 slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 09:25 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,611 Likes on 3,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
So this is what makes me uncomfortable with being the first adopter of aftermarket "fixes" for HD "problems". Often they aren't themselves great and problems are uncovered, and iterate some time after the initial launch of the product.

Some other examples: "thick" clutch rod, Hayden chain tensioner, etc.
The AIM was really the only slave that had issues (V1 and 2), the other 2 brands were successful. Not a slight on AIM, they too make a good product. Not sure what the hell happened.

My Muller IS A FIX, no quotes needed, and I did genuinely have a problem with mine. I did attempt to have HD address it, to no avail. My time is worth a lot more to me than to hassle with inept service advisors, and have to bother my wife or a buddy to come and pick me at the dealer, etc., I am pleased with my fix.

Not every bagger had this issue, obviously. I just got lucky.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:38 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,525 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
The AIM was really the only slave that had issues (V1 and 2), the other 2 brands were successful. Not a slight on AIM, they too make a good product. Not sure what the hell happened.

My Muller IS A FIX, no quotes needed, and I did genuinely have a problem with mine. I did attempt to have HD address it, to no avail. My time is worth a lot more to me than to hassle with inept service advisors, and have to bother my wife or a buddy to come and pick me at the dealer, etc., I am pleased with my fix.

Not every bagger had this issue, obviously. I just got lucky.
Just curious, what was the problem? I thought the only purpose of these slaves was to reduce lever pull.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:46 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member

Originally Posted by Quik
Just curious, what was the problem? I thought the only purpose of these slaves was to reduce lever pull.
That was the problem with mine. Ridiculous effort at the lever. Every other M8 bagger I rode, or even just squeezed at the dealer was easily half or less pull effort. It was just stupid that I could not get it addressed at the dealer. He just kept saying "we found no leaks", and "they all do that"

After a couple of 90 degree days in traffic jams, I ordered the Muller.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:56 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,525 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
That was the problem with mine. Ridiculous effort at the lever. Every other M8 bagger I rode, or even just squeezed at the dealer was easily half or less pull effort. It was just stupid that I could not get it addressed at the dealer. He just kept saying "we found no leaks", and "they all do that"

After a couple of 90 degree days in traffic jams, I ordered the Muller.
Ok gotcha, I thought maybe you were referring to some other kind of problem. I keep saying I'm gonna get a muller on mine after the aim sdr and heavy springs but I'm kinda getting used to the hard pull, I may wait til after Daytona bike week and see how it goes down there and if it's a pain I will break down and buy one.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:18 AM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

I wouldn't care if AIM gave me one and installed their latest contraption (already went through three of their version 1 and two of the version 2's on my 2017 Limited, I would refuse and go with Muller like I did on my current bike.
It operates as they say.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:49 AM
Dutch66
Cruiser
Received 320 Likes on 93 Posts

I must say, AIM have a wonderful service. They replaced my unit without any problem or discussion. Just send a new one overseas without any cost. Just Great.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:45 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch66
I must say, AIM have a wonderful service. They replaced my unit without any problem or discussion. Just send a new one overseas without any cost. Just Great.
I should add to my above post that yes, AIM customer service was great all 3 times. I just gave up trying to get a clutch slave cylinder that operated as they stated.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:28 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

I wonder if HD will sell a retro fit kit for the new clutch cable setup?

Old 01-14-2021, 03:48 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member

Originally Posted by YPD485
I should add to my above post that yes, AIM customer service was great all 3 times. I just gave up trying to get a clutch slave cylinder that operated as they stated.
...and I will add to my post that AIM has always had great products. Reading of the experiences here about the slave did not deter me from buying the SDR clutch. I have always read nothing but positives about their CS.

Hydraulic slaves have been around for many, many years in automotive, and the trucking industry. I am not sure how HD and AIM could have botched it.