Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power are you putting down on stock bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 03:35 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,524 Likes on 2,138 Posts

The rekluse clutch pack comes with additional friction and drive plates - which equates to less force applies to the basket per plate. If/how that makes a difference, I don’t know. But it also comes with steel “inserts” that are fitted (by hand) to the clutch basket to reinforce the surfaces the friction plates ride in. Plus you can handle 175 ftlbs with a slightly lighter then stock spring set, which gives slightly lighter lever pull. And it feels fantastic.

I put one in my M8 prior to my 128 build, and while I did get a defective (noisy) one at first, they promptly (overnight) replaced it and it’s been a great upgrade. So good my Dyna got one too.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:34 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

How are the stock cranks holding up?

Old 01-18-2021, 08:37 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,975 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Chef232
I hear that, I usually do one big trip a year and don't want any issues. This year I'm going down to ride the tail of the dragon and do the Iron butt challenge in one swoop. I don't want to be the reason we can't complete that. The heads and tb aren't in the cards for me this season anyway. I have the 22xe cam and about to order up the bigbore kit. Was looking at aim lockup clutch with stock basket but now am considering something else. Is your compensator and basket stock?
The AIM is good for between 145 and 150 torque depending on where torque comes on. Its a nice unit, and have it in my 117 Twin Cam. Works great and I am at 138 HP and 140 torque.

A friend has the AIM on his built 126. He had to go to much heavier springs than came with the AIM to hold his HP and Torque, he is over 155 on both. His clutch pull is quite heavy especially over 3500 rpm.

I went with the ReKluse torque drive on my M8. Pulls very similar to stock. It is not slipping with 167 torque and 163 HP.

If you plan to go more with heads, throttle body and so on, look hard at the ReKluse.

Originally Posted by Mchad
The rekluse clutch pack comes with additional friction and drive plates - which equates to less force applies to the basket per plate. If/how that makes a difference, I don’t know. But it also comes with steel “inserts” that are fitted (by hand) to the clutch basket to reinforce the surfaces the friction plates ride in. Plus you can handle 175 ftlbs with a slightly lighter then stock spring set, which gives slightly lighter lever pull. And it feels fantastic.

I put one in my M8 prior to my 128 build, and while I did get a defective (noisy) one at first, they promptly (overnight) replaced it and it’s been a great upgrade. So good my Dyna got one too.
I fully agree. AIM is fine in my lower power bike. But over 150 ReKluse is the way to go. Still no slip with 21K miles on it, and over 160 in HP and Torque.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:50 AM
ajcjr
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Does anyone think the compensator or clutch springs should be changed if you are upgrading to a zipper cam and 2-1 exhaust only? 2020 RGS, wanted a little bit more out of the 114 .

Old 01-29-2021, 05:53 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Does anyone think the compensator or clutch springs should be changed if you are upgrading to a zipper cam and 2-1 exhaust only? 2020 RGS, wanted a little bit more out of the 114 .
Seriously?

Old 01-29-2021, 06:11 AM
ajcjr
Tourer

Seriously?
i see some conflicting info about the compensator and was curious about the clutch. Sorry if my question was disrespectful

Old 01-29-2021, 06:44 AM
Mchad
Club Member

i see some conflicting info about the compensator and was curious about the clutch. Sorry if my question was disrespectful
Not disrespectful all. Just seemed a little silly worrying about it with just a cam when you’ve got people making huge number big bore builds with stock bottom ends...

The following users liked this post:
ajcjr (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 09:02 AM
Chef232
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was gonna run stock compensator and clutch with my woods 22xe cam and exhaust. That was until I broke the tappet cuff bolt off in the case and had to split my case for the machine shop to get it out. Now I'm waiting for my big bore kit to come in to get everything installed. I'll be using the rekluse clutch now and debating on getting the man of war 32 tooth compensator sprocket

Old 01-29-2021, 09:27 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Chef232
I was gonna run stock compensator and clutch with my woods 22xe cam and exhaust. That was until I broke the tappet cuff bolt off in the case and had to split my case for the machine shop to get it out. Now I'm waiting for my big bore kit to come in to get everything installed. I'll be using the rekluse clutch now and debating on getting the man of war 32 tooth compensator sprocket
If you've got your cases split, now would be the time to upgrade crankshaft.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:30 AM
ajcjr
Tourer

Not disrespectful all. Just seemed a little silly worrying about it with just a cam when you’ve got people making huge number big bore builds with stock bottom ends...
i agree but then i see people on youtube and other forums with just a cam making the change. Eventually i will do a big bore build but for now i just want some more power and sound, oh and the weather to warm up.

Quick Reply: How much power are you putting down on stock bottom end