Sponsored by:

How much power are you putting down on stock bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 09:45 AM
Chef232
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridetothehill
If you've got your cases split, now would be the time to upgrade crankshaft.
Not in the budget at this time and it's already put back together. After starting this thread I decided the crank would be ok for the power I'm after. Don't plan to go north of 160/170. Crank work was quoted around $800 plus shipping and a month turn around time. If it blows up later than so be it. I could have done it but then I wouldn't have been able to afford the bigbore kit with the other goodies I need which would make the work useless. They'd balance, true, weld, and pin for the bigger pistons that I couldn't afford with the work so it didn't make sense. Hearing from other members making big numbers on their stock cranks I'm not too worried about it.

The following users liked this post:
steve04 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 09:56 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Chef232
Not in the budget at this time and it's already put back together. After starting this thread I decided the crank would be ok for the power I'm after. Don't plan to go north of 160/170. Crank work was quoted around $800 plus shipping and a month turn around time. If it blows up later than so be it. I could have done it but then I wouldn't have been able to afford the bigbore kit with the other goodies I need which would make the work useless. They'd balance, true, weld, and pin for the bigger pistons that I couldn't afford with the work so it didn't make sense. Hearing from other members making big numbers on their stock cranks I'm not too worried about it.
For another $800. you could have got a Dark Horse crank. Just the other day I saw a broken stock crank at my dealers machine shop. The shaft was completely sheared off at the output side. It had previously been welded. It happened in 4th gear on a 124" build. If I were starting a performance build today. I would start at the bottom.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:24 AM
Chef232
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridetothehill
For another $800. you could have got a Dark Horse crank. Just the other day I saw a broken stock crank at my dealers machine shop. The shaft was completely sheared off at the output side. It had previously been welded. It happened in 4th gear on a 124" build. If I were starting a performance build today. I would start at the bottom.
To each their own, I think that money is better spent on a compensator sprocket and billet clutch basket which are known failure points on the M8. If I was planning a more aggressive build I would have bit the bullet and got the work done and waited till I had the money for the bigbore install. That very well could have put my bike down for the upcoming season which is not something I want to do. The past few months I've already dropped over 3k into it. I'm pretty much tapped for a season or two. Might do heads and TB next winter or the winter after, will just have to see if I want more power or if I'll be happy with what I've built.