Sponsored by:

Great replacement battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 08:04 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,610 Likes on 3,071 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I've been using BatteriesPlus for several years with good results, also. Originally it was the two year warranty and the lower than HD price that lured me, but they seem to last very well. As has been stated, they are pretty much nation wide, so if you have a problem on the road there should be one close. At this time I'm sticking with their AGM Duracell. Maybe in the future I will try the lithium, but the way battery technology is progressing it could be solid state batteries soon.
It's been a year now since I got my BatteriesPlus PowerSports II Lithium, so far, so good. We are headed out in the morning, supposed to be 28 degrees. It held up great and started perfectly last year when we did our final fall ride in northern MT. I hope it doesn't let me down this fall!

Old 10-15-2021, 08:26 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
It's been a year now since I got my BatteriesPlus PowerSports II Lithium, so far, so good. We are headed out in the morning, supposed to be 28 degrees. It held up great and started perfectly last year when we did our final fall ride in northern MT. I hope it doesn't let me down this fall!
Well it does have a 3 yr. full replacement warranty, so if it does give you problems you have a new one coming.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:27 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,521 Likes on 4,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
I understand your thinking, I generally don't cheap out on important parts either but if you could get literally the same battery with different brand labels on it for significantly less money I don't see the problem with doing it.

The problem is, you won't know if you are getting "literally" the same battery... In most cases; Similar? ...yes. "Literally" the same... probably not.

All the battery manufacturers make relabelled batteries to the specifications of the vendor who orders the battery.... All battery manufacturers can make excellent high-level batteries... AND... they can make cheaper, low-level batteries... it all depends on the specs to which they are making the battery... And with large volume contracts, the battery vendor will often have a clause in their contracts that the manufacturer cannot make the exact same battery available to other vendors.

Just because two batteries, of the same size/application, come from the same manufacturer and/or plant... it doesn't mean they are even comparable, let alone the same...

While there are certainly some vendors who have lower costs (due to high volume purchases) and then even higher prices (due to bigger margins).... Eventually quality costs money....

The amount of virgin lead, the plate thickness/design, the case strength, the post design, etc., etc., etc., in most cases, results in a bigger difference of the cost, than labels and/or profit margins... Some differences can reduce costs significantly. How important those differences are, for their various price points, can be debated, but there are usually differences..

There are good, less-expensive batteries available. However, claiming a battery is the same as a more expensive battery, only because it's made by the same company, is a guess at best, and frequently not the case...

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
Gas Smasher (02-14-2024), LXT (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:22 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

hattitude is spot on - my wife works supply chain & spec`ing out parts is a whole other arena, when the design engineer wants something built a certain way the Mfg builds it to that spec & then its SUPPOSE to go through a QC process - right now this is whats lacking at a lot of companies (QC) and the consumer is paying for it - HD has always had a higher spec & great QC dept., but with diminished supply chain items a lot of companies are taking what they can get..............guess we`ll see how the long term of that holds up?

you get what you pay for - however I have paid top dollar & got junk - I've bought cheap and it lasted way beyond my expectations, so sometimes......you just have to wonder how it really works huh?

The following users liked this post:
Piloto (10-21-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 08:45 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,697 Posts

Originally Posted by pingman68
I’ve had really good luck with the Super Start batteries at O’Reilly Auto Parts. I believe it’s an East Penn rebranded product….
Same here. I have used Super Start batteries for over 10 years. I easily get 3-4 years service from them.

Old 10-24-2021, 08:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,050 Likes on 17,529 Posts

Replaced the OEM battery in 17 RK a few months back ( Oct. 2016 build date ), still worked fine but the age bit and no kicker for a back up I didn't cheap out. Dealer battery was reasonable compared to the life I've gotten out it.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:53 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,638 Posts

I replace the battery(s) in the bike(s) that I ride regularly after 3 years and if a bike is not being rode in a week it gets hooked up to a battery tender. To me, trying to get another season out of a battery or waiting until the battery seems to be getting weak just isn't a good idea.
I usually rotate the battery from a touring bike into my generator and get a few more years of service from it.

This year I needed to replace two touring batteries (Ultra and Tri-Glide) and I ordered from Battery-Mart.
Usually my orders from Battery-Mart are sitting on my front porch within 3 working days.
This year for whatever reason my shipment didn't arrive with over a full week I called them and I was then told that the batteries I wanted were on "back order".
I was at Sam's Club the next day and they had a Duracell battery so I bought one and installed it in the Tri-Glide.
I ordered the other battery from H-D and installed it in the Ultra.
It will be interesting to see what the life span is with each but the Tri-Glide will definitely get more use and from my experience batteries in bikes that are used in touring bikes that do long trips don' seem to last as those that sit a lot hooked into a battery tender

On our two Softails (that are not rode frequently) I put Odyessy batteries (from Battery-Mart) in them 5 years ago and they are starting those bikes just like they did when they were new but those bikes haven't been ridden very frequently and they are always hooked up to the battery tenders.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:46 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,705 Likes on 3,247 Posts

^ Funny you put "back order" in quotes, as if shortages of just about everything aren't a fact of life these days....

Old 10-30-2021, 02:59 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,348 Likes on 11,170 Posts

Out with the old, in with the new. As per my earlier post, my OEM battery was 4 years old, and I recently nearly fully discharged it. So, in my book, it’s time to replace. I bought a Yuasa GYZ32HL, from Summit Racing. It was $183 plus ta , free shipping, and was delivered within 48 hours. I’m not so hu;g up on the warranty, for a good battery with great specs. I’ve bought stuff from Summit before and was always satisfied with their service, even though they were about $20 more than done other outlets I was not familiar with.

The OEM battery was rated for 405 CCA, and 38 Ah. And the Yuasa is 500 CCA, and 32 Ah.

With the California emission purge solenoid mounted to the battery tray, it was a PITA to remove the battery tray. But, with some pushing and shoving, and bending, and a small finger cut, voila! It’s all installed and buttoned up, it’s been on my 800 mA battery tender for 2 hours, and doesn’t yet show fully charged. And I’m gonna wait until it goes green to try ‘er 9ut.

Oh yeah, I like that the Yuasa as finger holds in the top of the battery. That made installation a lot easier. Why don’t they all have that? Hell, it was worth the extra $40 for the Yuasa just for that.

Old New Rider (02-17-2024)
Old 10-30-2021, 03:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,050 Likes on 17,529 Posts

Pro tip,

For those down in hard to get a grip on battery situations I'll sacrificed an old cheap ratchet strap, cut a length to loop around the battery before stuffing it back in so the owner or myself will have something to grab next change.

Harley1004 (09-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Great replacement battery