Sponsored by:

Great replacement battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 05:11 PM
1badharley
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
And so, been reading about AGM and Lithium batteries.

Apparently the Lithium batteries for bikes are different than those on other products. They are Lithium Iron Phosphate, not Lithium Ion. Supposedly safer. Also the top brands have internal battery management system (BSM) to prevent failures and fires.

So now I'm thinking about going Lithium Iron Phosphate.
Enersys makes Odyssey, Northern (now deleted), and X2 all in USA. X2 has the LiFePh for $240. Less than MoCo branded, and much less than AntiGravity ($400) which has even higher ampacity that I don't think is needed.

Here's link if you're interested --> https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...dF9zZWFyY2hoAQ
I had considered what you are thinking as well. noticed that you are in MN so, you might want to reconsider as the Lithium batteries do not do well in the colder weather......apparently you have to "warm them up" before they have enough power to start the bike. Check out some of the youtube vids on the subject.....which is why I stayed with an AGM.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:27 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,747 Likes on 6,955 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
And so, been reading about AGM and Lithium batteries.

Apparently the Lithium batteries for bikes are different than those on other products. They are Lithium Iron Phosphate, not Lithium Ion. Supposedly safer. Also the top brands have internal battery management system (BSM) to prevent failures and fires.

So now I'm thinking about going Lithium Iron Phosphate.
Enersys makes Odyssey, Northern (now deleted), and X2 all in USA. X2 has the LiFePh for $240. Less than MoCo branded, and much less than AntiGravity ($400) which has even higher ampacity that I don't think is needed.

Here's link if you're interested --> https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...dF9zZWFyY2hoAQ
@Old New Rider There is an ongoing thread on Lithium Batteries if you would like to read: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ring-bike.html

I'm sure our resident battery expert will be along shortly to offer his esteemed wisdom.

NOTE:
The above information, while credible, is worth what you paid for it and should not be considered gospel.
Do due diligence, research and have a H-D Field Service Manual before working on your bike.
You will probably have many opinions and suggestions presented; make sure you research the person providing the helpful information as there are some who provide good information and some who speak out of other orifices with gibberish. You will figure out this quickly.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 02-18-2024 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:09 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badharley
I had considered what you are thinking as well. noticed that you are in MN so, you might want to reconsider as the Lithium batteries do not do well in the colder weather......apparently you have to "warm them up" before they have enough power to start the bike. Check out some of the youtube vids on the subject.....which is why I stayed with an AGM.
Hah! I don't ride below 70 degrees! I'm not one of these guys so desperate to ride I put on an arctic parka and ride around in March. Plus my Pole Barn where the bike is kept is heated to 45 degree full time. Articles say LiFePO4 batteries start sleeping below 40 degrees F. But you can wake them up by turning electric on for 30 seconds, then crank.

It's really not a big deal. The factory battery really struggles to crank those big jugs of the M8 over. And I don't feel like wrassling a 20 pound AGM into that cramped case. For winter you can just pull the negative cable.

Old 02-18-2024, 08:10 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
@Old New Rider There is an ongoing thread on Lithium Batteries if you would like to read: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ring-bike.html

I'm sure our resident battery expert will be along shortly to offer his esteemed wisdom.

NOTE:
The above information, while credible, is worth what you paid for it and should not be considered gospel.
Do due diligence, research and have a H-D Field Service Manual before working on your bike.
You will probably have many opinions and suggestions presented; make sure you research the person providing the helpful information as there are some who provide good information and some who speak out of other orifices with gibberish. You will figure out this quickly.
Thanks - I searched but this thread came up first. I will read the other one.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:49 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,610 Likes on 3,071 Posts

I have had no issues starting mine below 30*. Coldest overnight soak on a night near Edmonton was about 24*

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 12:14 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
I have had no issues starting mine below 30*. Coldest overnight soak on a night near Edmonton was about 24*

Which batt did you go with?