Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

AVOID State Farm

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:59 PM
bbq05
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AVOID State Farm

I sold my H-D because I'm having my fourth back surgery. I just don't ride it enough, hardly any this year. I bought it new in 2013 and it has 3944 miles. Proof.

State Farm does not pro-rate motorcycle coverage on time insured. They say because bikes are ridden mostly in the warmer months, they have their own "special" pro-rating formula. Of course, their formula is heavily in their favor. For example, I paid over $400 for an annual premium and owned the bike for a little over 6 months of the term. You would think a $180 or so refund would be fair. Nooooo, not with State Farm. I received $66.80. Local SF agents and staff are the best. The low life, no-goods SOBs are at their headquarters thinking of more ways to screw the insured. They hide “behind the curtain” and their lawyer’s skirts. Avoid State Farm. I’m done.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:15 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Unless you're willing to go from the frying pan into the fire, don't expect any other carrier to be any better. As explained to you, I would assume ALL carriers/underwriters to follow the same logic; consequently, those in regions where riding 12 months of the year is the norm should reasonably expect to get a more even refund. Then again, "reasonably expect" with an insurance carrier is a total oxymoron!

Old 10-19-2016, 04:21 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I've never paid a 12 month premium on my HD, ever. How did they have the bike rated? As an RV?

Old 10-19-2016, 05:23 PM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I have no idea if there is cheaper insurance out there but they have never questioned one single claim in the 36 years I have been with them. That isn't anything I hear from other people and their companies.

The following users liked this post:
Falco144 (09-14-2020)
Old 10-19-2016, 06:22 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

As someone who has been in a accident with someone that had State Farm I would agree with you.. "They do SUCK!"

Old 10-19-2016, 06:26 PM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

You probably should have just put storage insurance on it since you were injured. I'm about to put storage insurance on mine because the weather is about to change.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:31 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

i was the victim of their insured twice. Both cases 100% their insured's fault. Their service absolutely sucked. No follow up, no return phone calls. In both cases I had my insurance company cover repairs, after I paid my deductible. Then after my insurance was re-imbursed from State Farm my insurance re-imbursed my deductible. I wouldn't use State Farm if they were free!

Old 10-21-2016, 08:08 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had State Farm since I got my first car in 1963, and my parents had it before that. We have never had an issue with any claim we ever filed, and there have been a few.

I totaled a 2012 HD Limited in November of 2014. They actually paid me more than it cost to replace the bike, and I had the claim settled in less than 2 weeks.

Bill

The following 2 users liked this post by billnourse:
Falco144 (09-14-2020), rockher_man (10-22-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
As someone who has been in a accident with someone that had State Farm I would agree with you.. "They do SUCK!"
Originally Posted by TriGeezer
i was the victim of their insured twice. Both cases 100% their insured's fault. Their service absolutely sucked. No follow up, no return phone calls. In both cases I had my insurance company cover repairs, after I paid my deductible. Then after my insurance was re-imbursed from State Farm my insurance re-imbursed my deductible. I wouldn't use State Farm if they were free!

I've said this before and some people disagree, but its not your responsibility or place to work with another driver/owner's insurance company. Everyone pays (or should) insurance to protect their property and liability in the case of an accident, whether it is their fault or not.

When you are in an accident, regardless of who's fault, it is your insurance company's responsibility to repair your vehicle and they work with the other insurance company to recoup their loss.

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (10-22-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
I've said this before and some people disagree, but its not your responsibility or place to work with another driver/owner's insurance company. Everyone pays (or should) insurance to protect their property and liability in the case of an accident, whether it is their fault or not.

When you are in an accident, regardless of who's fault, it is your insurance company's responsibility to repair your vehicle and they work with the other insurance company to recoup their loss.
I agree but it also shows up as claim against you which increases insurance premiums.

Quick Reply: AVOID State Farm