Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

USAA-Insurance, investment and banking

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Paulv003
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called USAA last week they told me all new policys are now being handled by Progressive. They no longer insure Motorcycles, they have a deal with progressive.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Paulv003
I called USAA last week they told me all new policys are now being handled by Progressive. They no longer insure Motorcycles, they have a deal with progressive.
That's right, they stopped all motorcycle coverage about 2 years ago and have an agreement with Progressive to handle their business. Like any other insurance, they have way too many factors to make generalizations, but I just shopped around on my second anniversary with Progressive (from USAA) and found identical coverage for $500 less than progressive. Same company that insures my RV, didn't even know they offered motorcycle insurance. USAA's service and financial stability rocks though!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have everything through USAA and I will not leave them. The do not carry insurance for motorcycles but they will sell you a policy through Progressive. I did not think the insurance was that bad besides if USAA is backing Progressive the can assure yourself if needed there will be no hasseles from the company. Peace of mind is worth alot.........

Old 02-19-2009, 12:22 AM
ZChan
Cruiser

I've had USAA cover all my stuff for the last 15 years. They cover both my current bikes. They sent me to Progressive for the RV though. Not too happy about that.
I don't have anything else as I sold out 2 years ago and live in my RV . Not a problem for them. They even financed the RV.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM
dbalke
3rd Gear

It turns out USAA does insure bikes. I just got off the phone with them, and they told me it is on a state-by-state basis. I specifically asked if they were doing the policy through another company or if it was USAA, and they assured me that it is USAA.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
siggybrain
Intermediate
Angry

I have my Bike, house and cars insured through USAA. I was told that USAA will not write new policies anymore in the states. They wrote me one since I'm currently in germany right now and they said they will continue the policy when I move back to the states under the grandfather law. So they will write new policies if your overseas. But other than that you'll have a hard time getting them to write a policy for you. But let me tell you its very expensive. I'm paying al most $1300 a year. But i have 3 million Euro coverage which is the minumum over here in germany about $4million us dollars. So I guess 1300 isn't too bad for what i'm paying for. But cant wait to get back to the states and pay 300-400 a year again.

Last edited by siggybrain; 03-04-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master

Not insured with USAA but worked at a STARS shop (that is USAAs direct repair program) before and I understood that they only did military or ex military. I know for sure they are a CO-OP and members have some pretty good perks and great coverage, for example if you were a member and needed a tire replaced from an accident they pay for 100% of it. Any other ins co will pro-rate wear items like tires, batteries and some even do shocks and front end parts now. They do use aftermarket parts to keep costs down and if you are a claimant you will pay depreciation on wear items. I believe they started out covering only military officers until GEICO started selling coverage to the public.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM
cryptoboats
6th Gear

I just got my 2009 883 HD Iron insured through USAA. They are subcontracting their motorcycle insurance through Progressive. I have full coverage in FL for the state required minimums 297.00 per year

Old 03-07-2009, 05:57 PM
cu014628
3rd Gear

As has been stated before, they do insure bikes in CA (I just started riding in July).

I pay $186.65 every 6 months on 08 Night Rod (VRSCD). This includes all discounts (Multi Policy, Multi Car, Exemplary Driver) with $1M BI $500k PD, and $100k MP $0 COMP Ded and $50 COLL Ded.

I hope if I ever have to move out of CA that they will let me keep the bike insured.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
cu014628
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hotrodsandharleys73
Not insured with USAA but worked at a STARS shop (that is USAAs direct repair program) before and I understood that they only did military or ex military. I know for sure they are a CO-OP and members have some pretty good perks and great coverage, for example if you were a member and needed a tire replaced from an accident they pay for 100% of it. Any other ins co will pro-rate wear items like tires, batteries and some even do shocks and front end parts now. They do use aftermarket parts to keep costs down and if you are a claimant you will pay depreciation on wear items. I believe they started out covering only military officers until GEICO started selling coverage to the public.

+ Ex-Dependents of members

Quick Reply: USAA-Insurance, investment and banking