Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

USAA-Insurance, investment and banking

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
I've been with USAA for 28+ years, and have had 4 (soon to be 5) mortgages, countless car/truck insurance polices, life insurance, credit cards, banking and investments - but no bike insurance. they don't write motorcycle policies in Texas. I had Progressive on my last bike, current one is through Markel (HD) - they beat Progressive by almost $100/yr. the Fatboy runs around $425 annual.

I would never switch - their customer service is the best, and they have always paid my claims in a timely manner and always seemed to pay a fair price.
I have been with USAA for 30 something years for the cars and house. I got a qoute from USAA a few years ago, 2002 I belive and the price was horrendous, they would write the policy but really didn't want to. I guess they finally just quit offering it in Texas. I am with Geico now, had Progressive for a while but the suddenly jumped the premium because I bought a car. Geico is $333 a year for complete coverage, less expensive than the cars. Which begs the question, if these motorcycles are sooooo dangerous, why are they less expensive to insure than cars. Maybe some insurance guru could enlighten us on that.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 AM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
I have been with USAA for 30 something years for the cars and house. I got a qoute from USAA a few years ago, 2002 I belive and the price was horrendous, they would write the policy but really didn't want to. I guess they finally just quit offering it in Texas. I am with Geico now, had Progressive for a while but the suddenly jumped the premium because I bought a car. Geico is $333 a year for complete coverage, less expensive than the cars. Which begs the question, if these motorcycles are sooooo dangerous, why are they less expensive to insure than cars. Maybe some insurance guru could enlighten us on that.
I think the biggest expense on motorcycle insurance is the medical if you take it. The liability is lower based on how much damage can your 800 lb bike do to property compared to a 4000 lb truck or 3500 lb car.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodsandharleys73
I think the biggest expense on motorcycle insurance is the medical if you take it. The liability is lower based on how much damage can your 800 lb bike do to property compared to a 4000 lb truck or 3500 lb car.
That does make sense, the damage is going to be done to yourself no matter what you hit.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 PM
61Comet
5th Gear

I think it depends on what state you're in. In Colorado, they transfer you over to a Progressive agent...which for me was still still the cheapest. USAA is a great company. I have my house, and all my cars through them, and I wouldn't dream of switching! Even with a dui and an at fault accident, they are a fraction of the price any where else.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:45 PM
hammerlover
Novice

They go by state. I insured through them in Ohio no problem. In Virginia, I had to go through Progressive but got a great discounted rate. Now, in Alabama, they won't touch a motorcycle or recommend anyone. Something about the driving laws in Alabama and not being a requirement for everyone to carry insurance. I have GEICO here now and I pay $460.00 a year for two bikes, full coverage which isn't half bad.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:19 PM
JumpinJack
Intermediate

Don't know what or when it changed with Alabama but last bike I had there was insured by progressive through USAA. And as far as them saying not all are required to carry insurance is not true. Alabama Department of Motor Vehicles requires at least liability insurance on all vehicles. They will not register a vehicle for the first time without proof of insurance, at least that is the way my county was and according to the laws on the website.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:24 PM
tejasrider
Tourer

I am looking at a new Road King, I did a qoute with Progressive, too high. Then I ran a quote thru USAA where we have our cars and house, they routed me thru Proggressive, the same quote was 100 bucks less.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 PM
CW4_131A
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had USAA on my scoot in Virginia since 2005 I believe I'm either grandfathered in or they insure in Virginia. However, my scoot insurance is as much as my cage. We're looking to change to find a better rate. But, we're reluctant because I know I won't find a better company.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have my truck.. renters & bike all covered by USAA. When I moved to the Dyna the agent told me they cover in very few states... Cal was one of the last they still provide for. Being military as long as I wear the gear any medical for myself is covered. So my insurance is damn cheap. ( yes I know its a old thread but someone bumped it.)

Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 AM
bgard
Stage I

Not really. Considering most cars are made of nothing but plastic, a fast enough Harley can do some considerable damage. Bike insure is generally cheaper than auto because 1. most people don't ride bikes 24/7 which lowers the possibility of an accident and 2. most motorcycle accidents are caused by people in cars not vice versa.

Quick Reply: USAA-Insurance, investment and banking