Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Should I keep or should I change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Terry Horseman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I keep or should I change?

Hi everybody,

my dealer used Motul 7100 SAE 20W50 in the 3 compartments of my 96 CI Twin Cam for the 1K and the 5K maintenance. This is a synthetic oil that look like Syn 3.

Now, I am retired then I'll operate maintenance myself, begining by the 10K wich is coming soon.

For the engine, this oil seems to be a right one. I believe it could be pertinent to keep that oil for that use.

For the primary, this is different. The "klong" at the 1st gear engagement is very too strong for me. I feel this oil "paste" in the clutch because viscosity is too high... I think to replace with Revtech primary Lube.

For the transmission, a good mineral oil for GearBoxes like Revtech sae 80W90 seems pertinent for me.

I need your advices and comments to perform the right choice. Prices no matter: I am not a rich man but nothing is too expensive for my pretty Super Glide

Last edited by Terry Horseman; 08-05-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:21 AM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

I have no problems with 20/50 across the board for Twin Cam but my EVO likes gear oil in the tranny.

If you switch anything up - 20/50 syn in the engine (or Walmart Mobil 1 15/50), gear oil in the trans (I use semi-syn - not terribly critical) and I use moto 20/50 in the primary - any type including low end dino is fine for me.

Expect a lot of non-answers but for those that do answer with some level of earnest - this question is akin to what is the sound of one hand clapping to a certain extent.

The following users liked this post:
Terry Horseman (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Terry Horseman
Intermediate

Unfortunately, Dyno have no dealer in France, my country (which is on the bad side of Atlantic ) and the MoCo dealers don't always play the game (mine don't sale any genuine HD oil).

Is the Evo tranny really different from the TC one? I'm affraid not and I fear problems could occur next a long use if the viscosity of trans oil is too light. In other words, may be your TC powered bike need gear oil in the tranny too.

These oil questions are a very pain to the a** then I understand why a lot of bikers dont want to give an answer.

Each one his (or her) oil and HD spirit for all!

Last edited by Terry Horseman; 08-05-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:11 AM
Terry Horseman
Intermediate

Another question about Oil: I have buy the HD Dyna Service Manual Repair 2008 and in this one, it is writed "Primary chaincase lubricant 32 ounces (0.95 liter)".
On french forums & blogs, some people says it would be better to put 40 ounces because this could help to save the stroke regulator mechanism.
In another topic from this forum, I have read a recommanded quantity of 38 ounces for the TC Primary.
What is right and what is wrong?

Last edited by Terry Horseman; 08-27-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:37 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Even Harley has gone back to the old school nondetergent gear oil in primary and transmission. SYN motor oil as the second choice.
The only problem I can forsee is if someone used the nondetergent oil for a while which keeps crud on the bottom where it should be since there is no filter. Then you throw in high detergent designed for a filter which could then tend to stir things up.

Just an opinion on what the makers claim the detergent is for. And I think that is to keep passages ways and hydraulic lifters from gumming up.

If you stick to SYN HD motor, should not be a problem. If you change your own, do all three ever motor change. There are more wear grit and junk in primary and transmission then in the motor at the motor change mileage. Keep your warranty by doing the mileage. I would not fall for the time or any lower mileage. That is not necessary for a hot Harley.

Do your owner's manual for the amount. It like a front loading washing machine in there. There are some slightly different bike primaries and some are 38 which puts level slightly higher on clutch spring.

Nothing beats Harley's Formual+ in transmission and primary. Keep your gear oil to75W-90 SYN but that is still a little heavy. RED LINE MT85 SYN GL4 will work. There are some very small needle bearings in that transmission that need to be flushed.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-06-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Terry Horseman (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 07:11 AM
Terry Horseman
Intermediate

Motul 7100 SAE 20W50 is a full synthetic oil specialy formuled for air cooled big twins with hydraulic lifts, just like the HD Syn 3 then I believe I'll keep it for the engine. Motul is a great trade mark knowed for its competition products, I believe I can trust in it.
Then if I change for HD Formual+ or for another oil in the tranny and the primary, I'll clean out once again the twice at the 2 next 5K maintenance to eliminate mixed old oil waste.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

That oil is fine for the motor, I personally like primary fluid for the primary but Automatic Transmission fluid "ATF" type non synthetic seems to work good, for the transmission, I like 75W90 differential oil or Gear oil.
Si tu a de la misere avec des mots, to peut m'envoyer un message prive si tu click sur mon non...mais va falloir que tu ai plus the "posts" avant que tu peuve.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:51 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

Red line shock proof in trans or a synthetic like amsoil gear. I like the red line best as it really is not that thick but protects like something thick. I started using shock proof in my snowmobile chain case's I like it so much.

Primary I use amsoil primary with 8 ounces of amsoil ATF, to add up to 32 ounce as per my year manual. Shifts better with correct amount. The only reason to run more is if you are on the open slab all the time, as it slings it away from needed components. Some on here use 10-40 motorcycle oil in primary. ATF works the best for shifting but doesn't protect as well

Old 08-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Terry Horseman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
That oil is fine for the motor, I personally like primary fluid for the primary but Automatic Transmission fluid "ATF" type non synthetic seems to work good, for the transmission, I like 75W90 differential oil or Gear oil.
Si tu a de la misere avec des mots, to peut m'envoyer un message prive si tu click sur mon non...mais va falloir que tu ai plus the "posts" avant que tu peuve.
Un grand merci mais ça va aller...
A lot of thanks but all goes right...
In fact, I was a professional pilot in the past and I learned all the english mechanical vocabulary for propellers, engines, reactors, turbo reactors... Wings, Cockpits, and so on... Then I remember what is a valve, an head cylinder, a spark plug...
This topic is very interresting because the different opinions about what to put in the different holes of a 96 CI TC Motor.
Advices are made to not be followed and I'll choose with my own piece of mind in around 900 miles.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:01 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Dont over think it.

1. Transmission and Primary use Formula+

2. Listen to what is in the owner manual regarding how much fluids to put in, not forums.

3. Any 20w50 will do in the engine but I do not know the ratings so well in France.
I assume you use the ACEA which I think I would go for a A3/B4 oil in a 20w50 or better yet any ACEA "E" rated oil.

4. Sorry, I just dont believe in this motorcycle oil marketing industry. Most motorcycle oils carry NO certifications only claims and huge profits.

ACEA oils in your country (As API oils in the USA) are actually tested then certified to meet certain requirements.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 08-11-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Terry Horseman (08-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Should I keep or should I change?