Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Temp Guage

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Oil Temp Guage

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

Bob, there are actually two places you can mount. Usingthe T adapter you can mount in the return line between the transmission and engine. This is the conventional installation of HD original equipment type gauge. It is a bear to do and getting the brass T into the space provided , splicing the existing line and re clamping it without causing a leak is tedious and frustrating. My dealer said never again after re installing my attempt which lasted three months and about 5K miles then started sucking air, causing a false zero pressure reading.
I've seen that install procedure and tales of the problems you mention, but the OP's bike is an '07 and the new 96" engine no longer has the external lines like you describe. That's why the gauge kit shows the filter adapter (#26133-07) as a required part for these bikes, to the tune of about $50.

The easier installation is in the casting plug in the oil pan, the one with the big allen head that is sometimes mistaken for a drain. It requires using a step down bushing readily available at most hardware stores. It is in thepan and takes the temp there, making it at least similar to the return line installation called for in the instructions for 06 and earlier installations. Hope that helps. The casting plug installation mimics the Wally's gauge installation which is nearly identical to the HD gauge except for the install point.
That's the "Sender in Pan" option I listed earlier, and I think it is the best location for the sender, even if you have an earlier bike or an '07 with a cooler. I also mentioned before that it's an 3/8"M - 1/8"F NPT adapter, available at Napa. I looked for one at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Auto Zone, but none of these had it.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had it installed in the cooler line and the gauge would not budge until the engine temp got above 185degrees and the oil thermostat opened, then it would climb rapidly. Once the thermostat closed, it would slowly fall back to the peg and not read again unless the engine temp rose high enough. It was also a clutter problem, and also a couple of more places where quite possibly a leak could occur.

Moved it into the oil pan, much more accurate readings and cleaner install.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 PM
kg4epz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question.
Are you removing the air temp gauge and installing the oil temp gauge in it's place?
I am wanting to add an oil cooler with fansfor parade use and an oil temp gauge.
Think I have decided to do the oil pan sensor install.
Thanks
RC

Old 02-26-2008, 09:45 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Yes, the conventional installation uses the slot that the, mostly useless, air temperature gauge occupies. One advantage here is you can use the same power supply, grounds etc WITHOUT having to rewire to the fuse panel or battery box. You can just splice into existing wires with the sending units supply and use the existing wires for the gauge itself.

EZ

Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 AM
RoadRunner1
Cruiser

Check Summit Racing for after market guages. The have any guage you could possible want.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:53 PM
jeff194
Cruiser

I am using the Wally World gauge, who I think is still made by Roger Mcewan (?) It came with the bushing to adapt the sender to the pan, as well as the adapter to use the existing harness from the air temp guage. I like it.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:28 PM
kg4epz
Advanced

Where can I get one of the Wally's oil temp gauges?
Thanks