Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

..one more post on OIL

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Primary and Trans

Use Formula + in the primary...I just don't want my clutch to be too slippery. Use gear oil in the trans...If you have been using the same oil in all 3 holes, you will notice how much quieter it shifts with a heavy gear oil (75W140).

Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
HD formula plus in primary and 75w140 gear oil in tranny... will probably switch to 75w90 for the winter.
The 75w90 or 140 will go 15-20,000 miles in your trans. Both are unaffected by cold weather as both are 75w when cold and one is 90w when hot while the other is 140w when hot.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i use amsoil synth atf in the primary..70/140 in the trans..been doin this for a few years now..works great for me...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,505 Likes on 3,334 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
The 75w90 or 140 will go 15-20,000 miles in your trans. Both are unaffected by cold weather as both are 75w when cold and one is 90w when hot while the other is 140w when hot.
I usually leave it in that long....it will be a while before i change it...Just had the Primary and tranny opened up for the Inner bearing...I still might go to 90 next time or Redline...Not sure yet..

Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 AM
goblin127
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The indie that just did my cams swears by redline in the motor and lubrication engineers in the primary. I've been using mobil v 20w50 in primary and motor. Think I'm going to stick with non synthetic in primary. 75w140 mobil in tranny.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only changed my oil only two times. Once very sucessfully about 5,000 miles ago and (*&%#$*&) today. I had just got back from a 70 mile ride before I started and let it set for about 20 minutes to cool down a little, but it was still warm. Then then drained the oil.

I have a 2007 softail and use Mobil 1 synthetic. So I drained the oil with the filler plug out and I replaced the oil filter just like before. Last time I put in 3 quarts and it was a tiny bit on the full side. Today I put in 1 quart and started to put in the second quart and it has full up into the filler neck. Hmmm?

So I took a nice slow ride around the block and checked the oil level again....Way, way full and I can see the oil just below the filler neck. So I rode it to the gas station just a mile away and back and the oil level is the same... Way full after adding only one and a half quarts or less.

It would seem that all the oil didn't drain out? When I pulled the drain plug I let the pan drain for ay least 10 minutes intil it stopped draining and some of the time I was on it to hold the bike vertical some more might drain out. I pulled the filter like last time with the bike on the kick stand so it would also drain out. Not as much came out of the filter hole as I remembered last time, but I did let it drain over 10 minutes.

So do I just ride it and frequently check the oil level? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:57 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you I'd check your tranny level... If your engine oil is almost a guart over full, after only adding a guart,,, well you do the math..
Either way --DO NOT-- drive with that much overfull, drain some out. Your oil pump, seals, and your air filter will thank you for it.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 PM
porschetech1111
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go to your local high volume parts store and ask for Mobile1 20/50 V-Twin oil in australia.......Easy to get around the world....

Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny D
...So I drained the oil with the filler plug out and I replaced the oil filter just like before. Last time I put in 3 quarts and it was a tiny bit on the full side. Today I put in 1 quart and started to put in the second quart and it has full up into the filler neck...

So I took a nice slow ride around the block and checked the oil level again....Way, way full and I can see the oil just below the filler neck. So I rode it to the gas station just a mile away and back and the oil level is the same... Way full after adding only one and a half quarts or less.

It would seem that all the oil didn't drain out? When I pulled the drain plug I let the pan drain for ay least 10 minutes intil it stopped draining and some of the time I was on it to hold the bike vertical some more might drain out. I pulled the filter like last time with the bike on the kick stand so it would also drain out. Not as much came out of the filter hole as I remembered last time, but I did let it drain over 10 minutes...

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sounds like you didn't bother to read your owners manual (it shows you where the engine oil drain plug is located), but instead drained something other than the engine oil...the trans perhaps. DON'T ride the bike till you figure this out!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ring
I've been reading alot of posts on here about engine oil so I don't want to beat a dead horse but just would like everyones opinion before I make my final decision on what oil to use.

I am thinking I am going to go with Redline syn 20w-50. It seems from everything I have read on here and other websites it is the best. I talked to the service manager at the local HD dealer and he said don't waist the money on syn unless you live in Death Valley. My opinion is that it would be a worthy investment to go with a good syn oil like Redline.

What do you guys think?
In my case, my local indy shop stock Syn3 and amsoil, I chose the amsoil. ifyou want to use redline and it is readily available go for it, if it is going to be a problem finding it, you might want to consider another brand. In other words use what you can get constantly.

Quick Reply: ..one more post on OIL