Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Zyklon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Cooler

As long as the ambient air temperature is lower than the temperature of the fluid being routed through a heat exchanger, (radiator) heat will be radiated in to the air. If this were not the case then buildings relying on steam heating, using the old cast iron radiators, would be like walk in freezers during the winter. Yes air flow through the heat exchanger will dramatically increase the efficiency. But to say that there is no cooling is incorrect. The ambient air temperature would have to be higher than, or the same as the oil temperature, (better than 200 degrees or more) to keep the oil from loosing stored heat energy. Even if the motorcycle is in stop and go traffic the radiator will lower the oil temprature at least some and lowering the oil temprature decreases stress on the engine.

Zyklon

Old 08-06-2006, 08:49 PM
500MAG
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: RockyRoad

Have rode many miles in Florida with the oil cooler. The real benefit comes from the added oil capacity of the lubrication system. Remember that oil cools, cleans, lubricates, seals, and protects. So simply the added volume is great for your engine. One caveat is to make sure the dealer uses constant torque hose clamps - not the simple worm screw type - or you'll be screwed with a leaking hose to fitting leak every 2,500 miles or so.
I agree with this statement also and am looking at some options.
Is this cooler adapter a good choice and is there anyone here using it, if so is it a good product?
Looks like a good set-up to me, has a thermostat built right in it.
Thanks.
oil cooler adapter

Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks similar to the newer HD unit and to the Jagg adapter (the jagg is alum color). The built in thermostat is a good thing. When i got my jagg unit a few years ago thermo adapters weren't available. In cooler weather I have to cover my cooler. An oil cooler is a good addition in warm areas for sure.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:43 PM
IRready
Road Master

ORIGINAL: One_Screamin_Eagle
I have never seen a 20 degree oil temp drop in a controlled and documented test due simply to synthetic oil.
I have never seen a actual documented case either, but I can say that on my last two bikes, after adding mobile 1 in my current bike and using Amsoil in my previous bike, I without doubt seen a decrease in temp. I had a temp stick in my crank case on my previous bike and now in my return tank, and both seen a 10-12 degree drop. I know it is not scientific, and I sure promote oil coolers, but I believe synthetic oils surely reduces the temp and also handles higher temps better then Dino oil. Just my .02

Old 08-07-2006, 01:38 PM
biker77
Novice

There is a thread somewhere in this forum where a guy used two small computer fans hooked up to his oil cooler. Looked like a great idea. Even in stop and go, or slow traffic, it would continually pull air across the cooler.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:50 PM
flstfjeff
Tourer

Have had the Premium Oil Cooler on my Fatboy since last oil change with Royal Purple 20/50.Here in Florida,running 70-80 mph.and air temp. of 100,I have never seen my oil temperture go above 220 degrees.I did notice after installing the oil filter,as you normally would,it leaked a very small amount.I had to over tighten the filter slightly to stop the small seepage.I have had no problem with any hoses or connections leaking since.Check out the price on Zanotti H.D.,you'll save at least 25%.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
notarheli
Cruiser

Actually, an oil cooler will still work when there is no air movement as it gives a larger area for heat to disipate and puts that area outside of the engine (where it would be cooler of course). But, as the area around the cooler heat soaks due to no movement, it will start to disipate heat slower and become less effective. (from a previous post)

This is just as Zyklon said. More surface area equals more area for heat dissipation. The larger volume of oil doesn't have any real effect except in the length of time it takes for the oil to change temperature.

IMO, fans on the oil cooler would indeed help while traveling at a slow speed. They could hinder at a higher speed if they cause the air to not freely flow through and exit the cooler. I think more important than fans on the cooler would be the fan for the cylinders. Once again, you would be cooling a larger surface area. One would believe that a cooler cylinder would also allow for cooler oil and yada yada yada.

Barry

Old 08-09-2006, 08:05 PM
500MAG
Cruiser

It appears HD did all they could to help cool the oil by incorporating the oil tank under the bike and putting 15 ribs across it to dissipate heat.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:11 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

BTW, I run the HD oil cooler that appeared initially on the 2003 CVO 103". Whatever oil cooler you run, make sure it is thermostatically controlled. I have seen in some of my engines about an 8 - 10 degree drop when switching to a good synthetic. However, this has not always been the case. Also, these were simply observations from making the same trip at the same time of day for years, not scientific at all.

I like synthetics because of their flow abilities in cold and their ability to resist hear and shearing. I have a turbo with over 225k on it which I attribute heavily to the synthetics I use.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Square Dude
Banned

Thank you 500MAG! They needed that!