On The Mend... Post your thoughts on loved ones who are "on the mend".

Hit head on by drunk driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hit head on by drunk driver

04/16/10 started out great. My wife and I took the train to downtown Chicago for lunch with friends. Rare sunny,warm day. We got off at our station and took a cab for our 5 min. ride back to our home. We made it to the corner of our street and waited in the left turn lane and a 2x repeat drunk driver hit us at an estimated 55mph "HEAD ON"! I was wearing my seat belt and my wife could not find hers (it was in the seat) and I was sitting behind the cab driver in a micro Scion cab. I have been in a few accidents like when I landed on the front tire of my dirt bike and flew thru the bars in slow motion. This was not slow motion, I heard my wife scream STOP!!!!!!!!!! I looked between the seat and said to myself "This is going to hurt"! It was lights out for me and I was taken to the nearest hospital and woke up in the ambulance in a neck brace and on a back board not knowing what or where my wife was! i am going to try to keep this short. The drunk was a local Acura dealer who had a liquid lunch at 2:30 in the afternoon in the biggest Acura SUV made. He got a little bump on his head,the cab driver had his legs and one rib broken, my wife had a tibular plateau rebuild and is still 3 weeks away from being able to be weight bearing. I had internal bleeding from my spleen,3 discs in my neck are herniated to the left and one center. I also have whats called a miniscal tear in my left leg! GOD willing we will all recover in time and I hope they put this A-Hole drunk away. I feel for his family but not for him. People, PLEASE be aware out there and take care. I guess my riding season is over for this year but at least we are alive......

Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Prayers out to you and your wife... speedy recovery!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Man thats tough, Im glad you lived through it, get well soon..they probably just give this scumbag a slap on the wrist...that seems to be the way we treat scumbags.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master

KR, Ty for the kind words and prayers...............

Old 05-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master

Jeff, I dont know what will happen except that a PI came to our home and took a recorded statement from the both of us at the request of the States Attny. Looking back on what happened I dont want this (Ill go with person) to ever drive again! He works for a big $ ,politicaly conected new Acura dealership so,who knows. We have nurses and P/T people here 5 days a week and everything is paid ASAP by the ins co. Ill keep you posted.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Default Update

Its almost July and I still cant ride! Now the miniscus operation on my left knee is being set up. I have 4 herniated discs in my neck ( 3 sideways and 1 center ) they want to cut and fix but NO WAY! I will not let them, My back is ok but hurts like hell...Wife is now able to start "weight bearing" and must learn how to walk again. F-ing A-hole that hit us is being sued along with the Dealer. At least we will get thru this...............

Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds like riding is least of your worries. Keep mending, 2011 are out soon!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Default Asm

you are correct. It is time to heal in the pool........... Next year WILL be a good one.......

Old 06-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Combat_Soldat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stupid cagers! well im glad yall survived! I hope he gets some jail time and has to fork over some $$$$ to yah. I almost wiped out this morning at 3am taking my wife to work in the hard rain, stupid MP was on my *** as soon as i got on base! kept speeding up on my *** end and almost ran into me at a red light i hit the brakes and got sideways and straightend her out and had to run the redlight to stay shiney side up, then the bastard kept drivin on like nothing happend! anywho, hope you get well enough to get back in the saddle soon! keep ridin'

Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Prodriverdon
Road Master

The $ will come but it is hard to watch the bride try to learn how to walk again. She was an avid 5+ mile speed walker prior to the wreck. I am glad you didnt go down. That MP was INSANE! He could have kept his distance or gone around.....................Stay safe and ty for the kind words....

Quick Reply: Hit head on by drunk driver