Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Moving to CA; Need to Know if My Bike Will Pass Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:31 PM
MA-FXDBI-DB
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moving to CA; Need to Know if My Bike Will Pass Inspection

The old lady and I will likely be relocating to California soon so I'm trying to find how many of the mods on my bike are going to give me an issue. I already know the head pipes won't work but I'm mainly worried about the Fuel Moto stuff. If I have to change anything other than the pipes I'll just sell it and buy a new one once I get out there. All mods are in my sig. Thanks in advance

Old 04-18-2018, 08:49 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

How many miles on it? I believe 7,500 miles is the minimum to register it there.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

If you are moving to California, with an out of state motorcycle. The only thing they will do is a Vin & motor serial number match. They do not Inspect it, and they do not smog it. Also, the 7,500 mile thing does not apply if you are moving into the state. I moved here 5 years ago, with my 1 year old TriGlide that has full V&H exhaust, no cat, was tuned with a non EPA tuner, and only had 2,000 miles on it. No problem!

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
How many miles on it? I believe 7,500 miles is the minimum to register it there.
Wrong...if you are moving into the state, it does not apply!

Last edited by TriGeezer; 04-18-2018 at 09:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hellbilly562 (08-07-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:56 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

As stated above since you're moving to California all you need is the Motorcycle's title and have the frame and engine serial numbers match what the title states. You have to bring all your vehicles to the DMV for visual inspection. Your car will need a smog check if it was made after 1974. Diesels have different rules by the year. If you modified your car that will get flagged at smog check.

Depending on where you are going to live the DMV can be very busy. Go online and make an appointment. There is a designated area to park for vehicle inspections. Also, you will most likely have to take the written test for both car and motorcycle. The DMV has pdf's and sample tests online. You will be just in time to get the new federal compliant licenses.

More info:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv

The following users liked this post:
MA-FXDBI-DB (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 07:11 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
So this is if you already live there and buy an out of state bike?

Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 AM
MA-FXDBI-DB
Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys! My only other question would be about resale. If my 107" kit doesn't meet Cali emissions does that mean I'm **** out of luck when I go to sell it or does the next person also get grandfathered in?

Old 04-19-2018, 08:06 AM
MA-FXDBI-DB
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mmesa005
As stated above since you're moving to California all you need is the Motorcycle's title and have the frame and engine serial numbers match what the title states. You have to bring all your vehicles to the DMV for visual inspection. Your car will need a smog check if it was made after 1974. Diesels have different rules by the year. If you modified your car that will get flagged at smog check.

Depending on where you are going to live the DMV can be very busy. Go online and make an appointment. There is a designated area to park for vehicle inspections. Also, you will most likely have to take the written test for both car and motorcycle. The DMV has pdf's and sample tests online. You will be just in time to get the new federal compliant licenses.

More info:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv
Thank you for going above and beyond in your post with the DMV info!

Old 04-19-2018, 12:15 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

If you want to purchase an out of state bike it has to have over 7500 miles on it. Exceptions are if you were traveling and your bike was irreprably dammaged. You follow the process on the DMV web site and have the appropriate documentation for the DMV to register a newer out of state bike/car.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:17 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

There are no emissions requirements for motorcycles. Yes, there are rules about modfiying bikes, cars, etc., however, you do not get a smog check for motorcycles. The DMV will only check your title and engine/chassis serial numbers.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:26 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Ca dmv

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
If you are moving to California, with an out of state motorcycle. The only thing they will do is a Vin & motor serial number match. They do not Inspect it, and they do not smog it. Also, the 7,500 mile thing does not apply if you are moving into the state. I moved here 5 years ago, with my 1 year old TriGlide that has full V&H exhaust, no cat, was tuned with a non EPA tuner, and only had 2,000 miles on it. No problem!

Wrong...if you are moving into the state, it does not apply!
CA only gives you 20 days to get it done otherwise penalties apply.

Quick Reply: Moving to CA; Need to Know if My Bike Will Pass Inspection