Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Want one, not yet, but eventually

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 11:23 AM
DwayneH
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Want one, not yet, but eventually

This will be my next bike, just need to wait three years. I just bought a bike, and when the warranty runs out, in 3 years, I shall seriously consider the Pan America. Not that it matters this far out, but at 172cm (5'7" ish), and 70cm (28") inseam, I wonder if I would even be able to balance the bike with two feet. I have not seen any specs on the Pan America yet, as again...three years before I am shopping. I like the range, and if I'm being honest; a lot of my riding is around town, though I do like to do long weekend runs that are about double the range of the PA or LW. That is something I will have to plan for. I did read that the level 1 ?, is a 60 minute charge to full? I assume that would be at a commercial charging station to get that kind of amps and fast charging technology. Is this true, or doable? What is the fastest someone has been able to charge there bike from less then 5% to full charge at a commercial charging station that has the highest level that the LW or PA can except?

Old 01-04-2021, 12:06 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,310 Posts

I am assuming you're talking about a LiveWire, and not a Pan America?

I have a 30" inseam, and while I couldn't fully flat-foot the LiveWire, it was close. So you should easily be able to get your toes down, I would think, on both sides.

Level 3 charging gives 80% in 40 minutes, and supposedly 100% in an hour.

Asking questions about something 3 years away, especially something electric, is kind of pointless; 3 years from now the LiveWire might have double the range it has today. Or it might be discontinued. Or it might be replaced with something entirely different, like the middleweight electric they've shown concept photos of.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:17 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

You don't flat foot an adv bike unless you are over 7 feet tall. Tip it to one side and use one leg to hold it up at a stop like you are supposed to

Old 01-04-2021, 12:18 PM
DwayneH
Advanced

You did read the part where I hinted that it was nearly pointless to ask, however, the rider position dimensions of the bikes will unlikely change in three years. I was asking the question just out of curiosity.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:23 PM
DwayneH
Advanced

Originally Posted by rhino1250
You don't flat foot an adv bike unless you are over 7 feet tall. Tip it to one side and use one leg to hold it up at a stop like you are supposed to
thanks, I have owned adventure bikes. I really don’t care with the convention says, I’d like to flat foot my bike. I usually make changes to the seat and suspension so I get to where I am comfortable. Now, if I could extend my legs... that would be the better option. Lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by DwayneH:
cacomly (01-04-2021), rhino1250 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 03:41 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 497 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
*Snip

Asking questions about something 3 years away, especially something electric, is kind of pointless... *Snip
That is about how long ago the Pan America was first discussed by Harley wasn't it? It does almost feel pointless.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:19 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by DwayneH
This will be my next bike, just need to wait three years. I just bought a bike, and when the warranty runs out, in 3 years, I shall seriously consider the Pan America. Not that it matters this far out, but at 172cm (5'7" ish), and 70cm (28") inseam, I wonder if I would even be able to balance the bike with two feet. I have not seen any specs on the Pan America yet, as again...three years before I am shopping. I like the range, and if I'm being honest; a lot of my riding is around town, though I do like to do long weekend runs that are about double the range of the PA or LW. That is something I will have to plan for. I did read that the level 1 ?, is a 60 minute charge to full? I assume that would be at a commercial charging station to get that kind of amps and fast charging technology. Is this true, or doable? What is the fastest someone has been able to charge there bike from less then 5% to full charge at a commercial charging station that has the highest level that the LW or PA can except?

I'm really confused.

The Pan America is not an electric bike, it has a 1250cc 60 degree v-twin motor, so why are we talking about charging times?

The Livewire can get to a full charge in under an hour. I think 80% is 30-40 minutes. That is on a Level III Fast DC charger. On a typical 120V outlet at home it is 10 hrs to charge.

As for flat footing the Pan America, untill they are actually out in the wild and we get the spec on it, who knows how high the seat is or what adjustments can be made. For the Livewire, I test rode one about a year and a half ago. I'm 5'8" tall with a 30" inseam, I could easly flat foot it. My youngest daughter is 5'1" tall, don't know here inseam but she could barely tippy toe it and didn't feel comfortable riding it.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:36 PM
DwayneH
Advanced

Whoa! Backup. My wires got crossed. I thought the Pan-America was going to be the Adventure tour version of the Livewire. Oops.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:49 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

Whoa! Backup. My wires got crossed. I thought the Pan-America was going to be the Adventure tour version of the Livewire. Oops.
nope it's a gas motor around 147hp

Old 01-05-2021, 06:55 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Ok, Now I'm not confused.

There were only 2 adventure tour conversions of Livewires done for the Long Way Up video series.

The only dual sport, and adventure electric bikes I know of are made by Zero. Look at the Zero DSR Black Forrest.

Quick Reply: Want one, not yet, but eventually