They are officially rolling off the line

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 09:37 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 1,633 Posts
Default They are officially rolling off the line

The following 4 users liked this post by VAFish:
Highwaymans (03-29-2021), Jed Clampett (03-24-2021), SWFLGuy (03-24-2021), wide glider (03-25-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 02:31 PM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes they are however very slowly due to problematic assembly procedures. Apparently this bike is very difficult to build which is understandable for any new product until they work out the kinks. The goal is to finish one every 6 minutes but current times are double that and a lot of them need reworked once finished. It’s not quality problems but rather methods of assembly. Interestingly, there is no frame on this bike and assembly starts with the engine then things bolt on from there. The bad side to that is if there’s ever an engine failure the whole bike needs disassembled to replace it. Lots of excitement about this bike though and apparently a ton of torque that easily lifts the front end.

The following 5 users liked this post by shrydog:
'05Train (03-26-2021), 2002Springer (03-29-2021), dceggert (03-26-2021), Jed Clampett (03-26-2021), smitty901 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 06:27 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by shrydog
Yes they are however very slowly due to problematic assembly procedures. Apparently this bike is very difficult to build which is understandable for any new product until they work out the kinks. The goal is to finish one every 6 minutes but current times are double that and a lot of them need reworked once finished. It’s not quality problems but rather methods of assembly. Interestingly, there is no frame on this bike and assembly starts with the engine then things bolt on from there. The bad side to that is if there’s ever an engine failure the whole bike needs disassembled to replace it. Lots of excitement about this bike though and apparently a ton of torque that easily lifts the front end.
Knowing a thing or two about manufacturing as I do, I would expect any engine failures to be detected and fixed prior to the rest of the bike being bolted onto it. If I was building computers, I'd make damn sure the processors, memory and hard drives were all properly tested before they got fed to the line. But there are always issues.... As far as I know, the engines come from Milwaukee to York for assembly, so you would hope they are well tested before shipment.

But yeah - Takt time (cycle time) on a new production line is always slower until things get sorted out and optimised. That's probably why HD limited initial orders so that they had a known production lot size and could balance the line as much as possible.

But you live in York, PA.....so anything you hear is really interesting. Keep it coming!

The following users liked this post:
ajtwin (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 10:43 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I'd much rather have them built slowly and correctly than sending out a bunch of crap. Harley needs to get this one right. (of course they also need to be able to make a profit on them and if they have to take too much time that cuts into the profit.)

The following 4 users liked this post by VAFish:
'05Train (03-28-2021), dceggert (03-28-2021), Jed Clampett (03-28-2021), rauchman (04-22-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 05:35 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,837 Likes on 5,289 Posts

Kind of funny older BMW's and pretty much most HD were darn easy to work on. HD engine you could rebuild it in frame. It also did not require a high tech operating type room to work on it. That was an attraction for many to these bikes. I hope HD got it right and the new engine is not a maintenance nightmare. I am hoping to see the engine in a new sporty or softail.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:51 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 497 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Kind of funny older BMW's and pretty much most HD were darn easy to work on. HD engine you could rebuild it in frame. It also did not require a high tech operating type room to work on it. That was an attraction for many to these bikes. I hope HD got it right and the new engine is not a maintenance nightmare. I am hoping to see the engine in a new sporty or softail.
I am hearing that the OBD connector has changed on all 2021 HD's to a new Delphi connector. I use that port to hook to my computer to cycle the ABS Module during brake fluid flush. It is supposed to be the same connector that is used on the Livewire. I hope the info is published with the pin out so I can either buy a jumper or make one. The CAN protocol is supposed to be the same so a new Digital Technician is not needed.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:56 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dceggert
I am hearing that the OBD connector has changed on all 2021 HD's to a new Delphi connector. I use that port to hook to my computer to cycle the ABS Module during brake fluid flush. It is supposed to be the same connector that is used on the Livewire. I hope the info is published with the pin out so I can either buy a jumper or make one. The CAN protocol is supposed to be the same so a new Digital Technician is not needed.
I heard the same thing from my dealer - different connector, so currently no tuners can even interface. But with 150HP I don't think I'll need one...

I also hear there are now three O2 sensors on the bike as well - I guess two pre-cat and one post-cat. I think this is to meet Euro5 regulations.

The following 3 users liked this post by adm:
'05Train (03-29-2021), 2002Springer (03-29-2021), dceggert (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:55 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 332 Posts

I really dig the PA as its evolved.... May consider moving current bikes around for one.... Would love a black on black. BUT this scenario worries me to some extent.... I think most of us can consider HD techs not at the fore-front of dealing with "metric like" building of bikes. Im sure theyre will be alot of grumbling at the HD dealer when these do need work and the usual HD put-off handling of bikes not usual HD simplicity to tear down and wrench..... Similiar to Buell days, good bikes, but the way HARLEY handled them and customers were a big part of their demise.

Hope Im wrong, for alot of people (myself too) the PA is the only new HD that holds interest.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:22 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
I really dig the PA as its evolved.... May consider moving current bikes around for one.... Would love a black on black. BUT this scenario worries me to some extent.... I think most of us can consider HD techs not at the fore-front of dealing with "metric like" building of bikes. Im sure theyre will be alot of grumbling at the HD dealer when these do need work and the usual HD put-off handling of bikes not usual HD simplicity to tear down and wrench..... Similiar to Buell days, good bikes, but the way HARLEY handled them and customers were a big part of their demise.

Hope Im wrong, for alot of people (myself too) the PA is the only new HD that holds interest.
I don't think this will be an issue. It's a different time. The techs I have talked to (younger guys), are pumped to get a totally new bike on their watch,

Old 03-29-2021, 03:24 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Highwaymans

All I can say to this is that my local dealer is spending a lot of time on (mainly online right now) training for the sales and tech staff on the PA and they are pretty stoked about it. But then, I am in Euro land anyway and most of the sales and tech staff already have experience with "metric like" bikes. So there's that.

I'm actually very excited that this bike might actually have 100% metric fasteners on it as opposed to the mix of metric and AF fasteners that my last few have had. I also think that if it is successful at launch, then a lot of the existing ADV bike aftermarket folks will quickly have cool parts for it as well. I want lockable tool boxes that fit inside the pannier frames, a "camel toe" and bash guards for the brake cylinders. Oh - and maybe some "winglets".

Quick Reply: They are officially rolling off the line