Pan America Pan America Forum Only

The Pan America Owner's thread...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 09:18 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Default The Pan America Owner's thread...

Hey All,

I just wanted to start an owner's thread to get opinions, information, tips, tricks and basically anything else you might care to vent or discuss!

To start, I am a future owner at this point. My bike is scheduled to be built today, May 27th 2021. It's a Pan America Special in Gauntlett Grey, with spoke wheels and adaptive ride height. Accessories ordered are aluminium side bags, SE exhaust & air filter, tank pads, short smoked windscreen, radiator guard and a few other bits and pieces. Sadly, it's going to take another month at least to get here (UK). So while I wait for it, I want to live vicariously through your experiences!

So post 'em up - what bike did you get, or are getting? What options? And what do you think of the bike now you've put some miles on it? What do you like, and what sucks?

The following users liked this post:
Piratepete (08-06-2021)

Top Answer

07-27-2021, 12:49 PM
TN-Squirrel
Tourer
Received 247 Likes on 127 Posts
Default New Onwner

Hello all. So this past Saturday told my dealer I was ready to place an order for a PA. Since I have done so much business with them over the last 9 years, he was like done. Two hours later as I am about to get into the Smokies I get a call that a bike they had sold fell through and did I want want it? Seriously! Hell yes. So as of yesterday I am now the proud owner a PA. Of course I can't get any of the accessories, but I am riding!!!

That's me on the left with the big *** smile

Old 05-27-2021, 01:31 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 900 Posts

Mine is in the shop for 1k service, picking it back up this afternoon. Have the black aluminum panniers on it. With the bags on it, it is very wide when it comes to mounting and dismounting. I get on and off like I would a horse to keep from kicking them. The good part of that is, they will hold a ton. So far my only complaint is some of the info "font" is too small on the screen. I didn't get the ARH on purpose. Suspension is more than adequate for what I want to do. Slow speed maneuvering is excellent and high speed stability very good. I'm really enjoying it.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jed Clampett:
paul463 (07-10-2021), pikaia (11-26-2022), Piratepete (08-06-2021), Stamin Aman (07-04-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 03:31 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Excellent to hear! By mounting it like a horse, I presume you mean standing on the footpeg and swinging your leg over? That's how I always got on my BMW GS.

If you get a chance, could you run a tape measure across the bars at the front and the bags at the back? I'd like to know if the aluminium panniers are wider than the bars or not....

Old 05-27-2021, 04:02 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member

That's how I get on and off. The handlebars are 34"ish. The bags 43". So they are wider than the bars.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:06 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jed Clampett
That's how I get on and off. The handlebars are 34"ish. The bags 43". So they are wider than the bars.
Thanks a lot! I had the Vario bags on my GS and they fit directly to the bike without the need for the extra frames. They were a little bit narrower than the handlebars, so I guess I will need to be careful filtering on this bike when I get it. It'll no longer be "cat's whiskers" anymore - i.e. if my bars fit through, the rest of the bike will.

Maybe I will pick up some of the plastic sport cases for urban use. They look to be similar to the BMW Vario cases and mount directly to the bike without the frames. Much less carrying capacity though.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:12 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
Thanks a lot! I had the Vario bags on my GS and they fit directly to the bike without the need for the extra frames. They were a little bit narrower than the handlebars, so I guess I will need to be careful filtering on this bike when I get it. It'll no longer be "cat's whiskers" anymore - i.e. if my bars fit through, the rest of the bike will.

Maybe I will pick up some of the plastic sport cases for urban use. They look to be similar to the BMW Vario cases and mount directly to the bike without the frames. Much less carrying capacity though.
I think the sport set up looks amazing. Those were my original intent.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:12 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member

Delete redundant post

Old 05-27-2021, 04:44 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jed Clampett
I think the sport set up looks amazing. Those were my original intent.
Personally, I just don't like the look of them.....but that's just me. I am sure they are very practical. I still might get some though. The only problem is, to fit them you need to remove the aluminium case support frames, so it's not a 5 minute job to to go from big cases to narrow cases.

Jed Clampett (05-27-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 09:10 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

It's crazy how things change...

3/3/21 place $100 hold
4/16 have ride scheduled in Dallas - Canceled due to rain
5/15 ride a demo bike in Houston, they offer to sell it but no dice due to add on fees
5/18 order through my local dealer
5/29 pick up the bike I rode 2 weeks prior at less than my original offer

200 and some change miles (100+ highway) quick notes:
Dealer installed 11" windshield will probably be replaced with 18" - it's hard to explain, head is in the wind but its not buffeting, it is louder than I prefer though
Dealer installed 80 grit pegs, I was worried about vibration at highway speeds. I get more vibration from the bars than pegs.
I may do risers but I don't like the HD ones, local dealer has demo with them and it blocks the screen.
Text on some of the widgets is WAY to small, ok when stopped but really hared to see at speed
Bike is hot on the left side, NOT the exhaust side. Might have been due to crosswinds, more testing needed.
5K rpm is 85mph and it was just fine. little vibration felt in bars but definitely acceptable.
Bike is super fun, I love it so far

Oh, Pan America Special in Vivid Black, Laced Wheels, NO ARH but EVERYTHING else lol was setup as the dealer demo bike, even has the Tank Bag.

The following 12 users liked this post by Bunker:
2002Springer (07-11-2021), benjamin lorenzo (11-09-2021), BigIck (05-30-2021), dceggert (05-30-2021), hdxbones (05-30-2021), Hungry J0e (05-30-2021), Jed Clampett (05-30-2021), Piratepete (08-06-2021), Prykey (06-04-2021), rauchman (06-04-2021), Vec (06-24-2021), Xbt2 (09-05-2023) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-29-2021, 09:20 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bunker
It's crazy how things change...

3/3/21 place $100 hold
4/16 have ride scheduled in Dallas - Canceled due to rain
5/15 ride a demo bike in Houston, they offer to sell it but no dice due to add on fees
5/18 order through my local dealer
5/29 pick up the bike I rode 2 weeks prior at less than my original offer

200 and some change miles (100+ highway) quick notes:
Dealer installed 11" windshield will probably be replaced with 18" - it's hard to explain, head is in the wind but its not buffeting, it is louder than I prefer though
Dealer installed 80 grit pegs, I was worried about vibration at highway speeds. I get more vibration from the bars than pegs.
I may do risers but I don't like the HD ones, local dealer has demo with them and it blocks the screen.
Text on some of the widgets is WAY to small, ok when stopped but really hared to see at speed
Bike is hot on the left side, NOT the exhaust side. Might have been due to crosswinds, more testing needed.
5K rpm is 85mph and it was just fine. little vibration felt in bars but definitely acceptable.
Bike is super fun, I love it so far

Oh, Pan America Special in Vivid Black, Laced Wheels, NO ARH but EVERYTHING else lol was setup as the dealer demo bike, even has the Tank Bag.
Nice! Same one I've got without ARH. i haven't noticed any left side heat with 1400 miles on mine.I'm going try some Rox risers

mrkihn1960 (11-04-2021)

Quick Reply: The Pan America Owner's thread...