Pan America Pan America Forum Only

PAS Reach seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 04:15 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
Default PAS Reach seat

Greetings. This has been a wonderful and expensive journey over the years!! I have been on and bought several metric bikes over the years but got on the Harley only bus about 7 years ago - Slim, Heritage, Road Glide, back on a Heritage, and now on a 2022 Street Glide. BUT, I am seriously considering a Pan America Special. I am getting up in my years (somewhere around 67) and the Street Glide may have been a mistake. At 830 pounds, plus my stuff I ride with (solo), it is comfortable but just too heavy. I usually put well over 15,000 miles a year on my rides. The 2022 S.G. has just over 12,000 on it since new in April, 2022. Along with the years creeping up on me, I am 5' 5" and 148 pounds, 30 inch inseam on a good day. I have sat on a PAS a couple of times and man does it feel tall. Nowhere near the "other" stuff but still tall. Still not ridden one. It's all about the slow stuff and maneuvering that 830 pounds in gravel

Watching several Youtube videos on "short riders" etc. and it just seems like a style of riding to get used to. I had a 1981 Kawasaki 650 when I was much younger and that seat was around 32" tall so I used to ride a taller bike - surely I still can. Brings me to the Reach Seat. If I am getting the right numbers, with Adaptive Ride Height active and a Reach seat at lowest position, I should be sitting between 30 - 31 inch seat height. Lowest I can find for a decent ADV style bike. I think I can handle a bike that is almost 260 pounds lighter than the Street Glide and not be perfectly flat footed. For an 830 pound bike, yeah, flat footed is more important.

I got long winded but looking for advice from you guys. I have been with the forum for a few years, just not in the PAS section. Hopefully, I will remain here. BTW - I really want to stick with HDMC. But don't want to be sorry if I pull the trigger. So - can I hear from some shorter riders and anyone that has bought the Reachseat for the PAS?

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2023, 09:06 PM
jprovida
Stage IV
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased the HD reach seat (low) for my 2022 PAS and it definitely lowers me by a good inch. I’m 5’7” with 29” inseam and i can just flat foot with the ARH. The seat is not as padded as the original seat but it’s not bad - I’ve ridden the bike for a few hundred miles and can say I’m not sore. I am looking at other options: Saddleman, Corbin, Sargent, and the Wunderlich seats as they maybe more suitable, but i have not decided yet.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Wunderlich America (02-08-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 09:57 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Originally Posted by jprovida
I purchased the HD reach seat (low) for my 2022 PAS and it definitely lowers me by a good inch. I’m 5’7” with 29” inseam and i can just flat foot with the ARH. The seat is not as padded as the original seat but it’s not bad - I’ve ridden the bike for a few hundred miles and can say I’m not sore. I am looking at other options: Saddleman, Corbin, Sargent, and the Wunderlich seats as they maybe more suitable, but i have not decided yet.

Jim
Thanks for the response. I spoke with Corbin but was told their seat was not lower than the OEM. Sargent looked okay but reviews did not put it much lower eithe - 3/4 inch? I have not researched Wunderlich but will do.
Please keep me in mind if you try another seat. If you can just flat foot with the reach seat, 29 inch inseam, I might just be in line for it. The A1 riser along with the Reach Seat sounds essential.
Stay safe!

Old 01-23-2023, 05:27 AM
TN-Squirrel
Tourer
Received 247 Likes on 127 Posts

I am 5’4” with a 29” inseam. I have averaged 30K miles per year over the last 10 but am starting to slow down at 61. With 18K on my PAS I can honestly say it fits me well. The ARH allows me to comfortable hold the bike up when stopped. I am not flat foot but easily solid on the ***** of my feet. I have never been flat footed on my HD’s except for my 883 iron which I started on 10 years ago. All my baggers had me on the ***** of my feet. I DO NOT ride with the reach seat. I am currently on the Sundowner but am now thinking of the Sargent for even more comfort.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:21 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Originally Posted by TN-Squirrel
I am 5’4” with a 29” inseam. I have averaged 30K miles per year over the last 10 but am starting to slow down at 61. With 18K on my PAS I can honestly say it fits me well. The ARH allows me to comfortable hold the bike up when stopped. I am not flat foot but easily solid on the ***** of my feet. I have never been flat footed on my HD’s except for my 883 iron which I started on 10 years ago. All my baggers had me on the ***** of my feet. I DO NOT ride with the reach seat. I am currently on the Sundowner but am now thinking of the Sargent for even more comfort.
Thanks for the response. Good to hear and I am guessing I just have a mental block agains a "tall" bike. Do you use both feet at a stop or slide off to the side and lean? I really enjoy the Street Glide but just getting tired of the weight. My first two bikes (1974 and '76) were enduro and am hearing the call to at least feel comfortable if a road I explore turns rough. Turning the Street Glide around on gravel or small dirt roads has gotten old. I know - I hear the comments about why go down that road in the first place but they don't always start out bad.

I rarely get on the Interstate and am frequently on the backroads of TN and NC. With 18K on your PAS - is your opinion all solid?

Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:15 AM
TN-Squirrel
Tourer

Both feet…I saw guys in Canada doing the off to one side on the taller bikes and was like “Nope not for me”. So I was thrilled when HD came out with the PAS.

The following 2 users liked this post by TN-Squirrel:
AFSOC_Commando (09-14-2023), aviscomi (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 11:41 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rusty Bucket
Thanks for the response. Good to hear and I am guessing I just have a mental block agains a "tall" bike. Do you use both feet at a stop or slide off to the side and lean? I really enjoy the Street Glide but just getting tired of the weight. My first two bikes (1974 and '76) were enduro and am hearing the call to at least feel comfortable if a road I explore turns rough. Turning the Street Glide around on gravel or small dirt roads has gotten old. I know - I hear the comments about why go down that road in the first place but they don't always start out bad.

I rarely get on the Interstate and am frequently on the backroads of TN and NC. With 18K on your PAS - is your opinion all solid?

Thanks again.
Hmmmmm. I am wondering if the PAS I first sat on was at the lowest position. The seat was, but I was on my tip toes and didn't ride it because I thought I was sure to drop it. This was in 2021 after the bike was released and a demo at the dealership. I also was very excited about the PAS release with the ARH and thought for sure I was a buyer. Until I got on and could not come near to flat footed or even on the ***** of my feet.The second time was not really fair as I didn't even try to get it off the jiffy stand. Just sat on it wishing myself taller!

With your comments and the Reach Seat now available, I am going to check it out again - thanks, guys.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:33 PM
CrewDawg_CO
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2021 Special with ARH. I am 5'6" with a 29 inch inseam. I am using a Corbin low seat in the low position. I also installed Mizu 40mm rear lowering links. I am flat footed at stops wearing boots. I haven't touched the front forks and haven't noticed any negative affects on handling/riding after the install of the rear lowering links.

Question: When you sat on the bike at the dealer, did you turn on the ignition and verify that the bike lowered? The suspension "pumps up" if multiple people were getting on and off the bike. Also if the ride mode was set for custom, then the ARH might have been set to a delay or even off.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:58 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Originally Posted by CrewDawg_CO
I have a 2021 Special with ARH. I am 5'6" with a 29 inch inseam. I am using a Corbin low seat in the low position. I also installed Mizu 40mm rear lowering links. I am flat footed at stops wearing boots. I haven't touched the front forks and haven't noticed any negative affects on handling/riding after the install of the rear lowering links.

Question: When you sat on the bike at the dealer, did you turn on the ignition and verify that the bike lowered? The suspension "pumps up" if multiple people were getting on and off the bike. Also if the ride mode was set for custom, then the ARH might have been set to a delay or even off.
Thanks and yes, it was started but I cannot say it lowered. I asked about it because I really was surprised at how high it was. The salesman said "yes", it was at the lowest position. I really think I need to try it again.The bike had just been released and my dealership was doing demo rides. I was really counting on that lowering technology. From your response, I think the salesman might not have had the knowledge. I know him and would be surprised he missed something but - it was all brand new at the time to everyone. And your point about multiple people being on the bike, I was at least the sixth or seventh rider that morning. As I stated earlier, I didn't even try to ride. I just didn't get a good feel being so far from having a stable stance.

BTW - I contacted Corbin and was told their low seat was not lower than the stock seat at it's lowest. Can you tell if it is lower?

I put a lowering kit on a Yamaha Stratoliner about 8 years ago and swore to never do it again. It had a negative effect on the handling and I traded it in for my first Harley.

I don't doubt you about your situation, I just didn't like messing with the engineering. But I will look into the Mizu links - thanks.

The following users liked this post:
bofh1599 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 07:51 PM
TN-Squirrel
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rusty Bucket
Thanks and yes, it was started but I cannot say it lowered. I asked about it because I really was surprised at how high it was. The salesman said "yes", it was at the lowest position. I really think I need to try it again.The bike had just been released and my dealership was doing demo rides. I was really counting on that lowering technology. From your response, I think the salesman might not have had the knowledge. I know him and would be surprised he missed something but - it was all brand new at the time to everyone. And your point about multiple people being on the bike, I was at least the sixth or seventh rider that morning. As I stated earlier, I didn't even try to ride. I just didn't get a good feel being so far from having a stable stance.

BTW - I contacted Corbin and was told their low seat was not lower than the stock seat at it's lowest. Can you tell if it is lower?

I put a lowering kit on a Yamaha Stratoliner about 8 years ago and swore to never do it again. It had a negative effect on the handling and I traded it in for my first Harley.

I don't doubt you about your situation, I just didn't like messing with the engineering. But I will look into the Mizu links - thanks.
Had the same first experience… Try again.

Quick Reply: PAS Reach seat