Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Should I get another Pan America?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 07:27 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Default Should I get another Pan America?

So, my story is that I have a model year '21 Pan right now. It was one of the first ones shipped to the UK. I have put 21K miles on it and I love the bike. But I normally only keep bikes for about 3 years anyway, so I am kind of hankering to get a new one. I was hoping HD would release a 1300 or 1350 version this year, but they haven't so I might not hold my breath for that any longer.

I have had a few issues with the bike, the worst being that it needed a replacement stator as it wasn't charging properly. That got fixed and I replaced the OEM battery with an AntiGravity lithium battery and the bike has been absolutely rock solid since then. Starter clutch and all other hardware/software items were done by the dealership. Everything on this list was done under warranty and the dealership has been great.

Now, they have a couple of MY22 bikes sitting on the floor that they will do an excellent deal on, and their group also has some MY23 bikes that they will deal on. The other option is to order an MY24.

There are no huge changes in any of these bikes. The only biggish thing is that the MY24 bikes have a better charging system and bigger battery. But I solved the battery issue with the lithium battery anyway.

I don't think I want an MY22 bike. It's just too close to the MY21 that I already have. But I could see trading in my MY21 for an MY23 though. I already have all the accessories, luggage, Denali lighting etc, which I would swap from old to new bike, so I am really only looking at purchasing the base bike itself. ARH is essential for me as I am short, but wire wheels are not essential as I mainly ride on the road and actually hate cleaning the spoked wheels. They do look good though.

So what would you do? MY23 bike at a good discount, or pay full price for a new MY24? Apparently, the Alpine Green paint on the MY24 looks amazing, but I haven't seen one in the flesh yet. I do have the option of either black, grey or the yellow on MY23 bikes and I rather like the yellow in the flesh.

Oh....one other thing....any recommendations for soft bags? I have the HD aluminium side cases already, and while they have been great, they do stick out wide. Ideally I think I would like some soft bags that fit closer to the bike to try an minimus the width of the back end while still keeping the same carrying capacity.

All thoughts gratefully received!

Old 02-26-2024, 10:51 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 337 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
So, my story is that I have a model year '21 Pan right now. It was one of the first ones shipped to the UK. I have put 21K miles on it and I love the bike. But I normally only keep bikes for about 3 years anyway, so I am kind of hankering to get a new one. I was hoping HD would release a 1300 or 1350 version this year, but they haven't so I might not hold my breath for that any longer.

I have had a few issues with the bike, the worst being that it needed a replacement stator as it wasn't charging properly. That got fixed and I replaced the OEM battery with an AntiGravity lithium battery and the bike has been absolutely rock solid since then. Starter clutch and all other hardware/software items were done by the dealership. Everything on this list was done under warranty and the dealership has been great.

Now, they have a couple of MY22 bikes sitting on the floor that they will do an excellent deal on, and their group also has some MY23 bikes that they will deal on. The other option is to order an MY24.

There are no huge changes in any of these bikes. The only biggish thing is that the MY24 bikes have a better charging system and bigger battery. But I solved the battery issue with the lithium battery anyway.

I don't think I want an MY22 bike. It's just too close to the MY21 that I already have. But I could see trading in my MY21 for an MY23 though. I already have all the accessories, luggage, Denali lighting etc, which I would swap from old to new bike, so I am really only looking at purchasing the base bike itself. ARH is essential for me as I am short, but wire wheels are not essential as I mainly ride on the road and actually hate cleaning the spoked wheels. They do look good though.

So what would you do? MY23 bike at a good discount, or pay full price for a new MY24? Apparently, the Alpine Green paint on the MY24 looks amazing, but I haven't seen one in the flesh yet. I do have the option of either black, grey or the yellow on MY23 bikes and I rather like the yellow in the flesh.

Oh....one other thing....any recommendations for soft bags? I have the HD aluminium side cases already, and while they have been great, they do stick out wide. Ideally I think I would like some soft bags that fit closer to the bike to try an minimus the width of the back end while still keeping the same carrying capacity.
R
All thoughts gratefully received!
That's kind of where I am, My '21 Pan America Special has been great. I flip a lot of bikes, 3-4 per year on average and keep 4-5 or so in rotation most are vintage BMWs, Triumphs, Ducatis. But I always have at least one Harley. I do not have a cruiser right now. But I'm debating picking up another Road Glide or Indian Challenger after I sell off a couple of project bikes that should fully fund a nice 2020ish Road Glide. If I do, I'll probably flip the Pan America for a BMW 1250/1300GS or Ducati MSV4 as I've never owned a GS (but at least 7 other BMWs).

I usually trade off for a new "main" bike every 3-4 years and and am seriously thinking about making a move this year or next But, I ride the PA and I'm damn this is a killer bike and I've never had trouble with it.

Last edited by 3dognate; 02-26-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:58 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,709 Likes on 5,219 Posts

2024 CVO is going cheap here and plenty of 2023's still on the floor .

Old 02-26-2024, 12:03 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 337 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
2024 CVO is going cheap here and plenty of 2023's still on the floor .
Where is "here"?

Old 02-26-2024, 12:07 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,709 Likes on 5,219 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dognate
Where is "here"?
America OP was from UK.
Some dealers even have 2022 left over.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:09 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 3dognate
That's kind of where I am, My '21 Pan America Special has been great. I flip a lot of bikes, 3-4 per year on average and keep 4-5 or so in rotation most are vintage BMWs, Triumphs, Ducatis. But I always have at least one Harley. I do not have a cruiser right now. But I'm debating picking up another Road Glide or Indian Challenger after I sell off a couple of project bikes that should fully fund a nice 2020ish Road Glide. If I do, I'll probably flip the Pan America for a BMW 1250/1300GS or Ducati MSV4 as I've never owned a GS (but at least 7 other BMWs).

I usually trade off for a new "main" bike every 3-4 years and and am seriously thinking about making a move this year or next But, I ride the PA and I'm damn this is a killer bike and I've never had trouble with it.
Well, I have had a BMW1200GS in the past. It was a nice bike, but the Pan is much better - in fairness, a lot newer too. I also currently have a Low rider ST. I don't really want to move out of the HD lineup because I am the Assistant Director and a Road Captain for our extremely active HOG chapter. I am leading several European trips this year with the chapter, including the Austrian Alps and the Black Forest, and while a new BMW 1300GS would be an excellent bike for these, the Pan is just as much fun.

So it's a new Pan for me....I am leaning heavily towards cutting a deal on a left over 2023...

The following users liked this post:
3dognate (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 12:11 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
America OP was from UK.
Some dealers even have 2022 left over.
Yep, I am from the UK.

I don't want a CVO as I already have the luggage and most of the accessories and will just swap them over. If I didn't, then a CVO would actually be a pretty good deal. And although I could get a really, really good deal on a left over 2022 bike, I am leaning towards a left over 2023.

jprovida (03-16-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 03:12 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,518 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Why take a bike you fixed all the deficiencies on, and trade it in on an unknown bike?

Old 02-26-2024, 03:14 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,257 Likes on 1,284 Posts

So, you have a fully working, battle tested, 1st-class working bike, and you want to get rid of it and trade it in why? Because the model year is 2 years newer? I mean, isn't this a way to just spend a lot of money and end up with functionally the same bike?

I mean, if the upgrade was, like, $1,000 out the door after trade-in, then yeah, I get it, especially with starting the warranty all over. But otherwise, why?

So you asked what we would do. If I could get the army green 2022 special paint at a cheap upgrade price, I'd be highly tempted to do that, and make some 50-cal ammo can "saddlebags" for it.

That thing looks way better in person than I ever expected it to. But, you're still going to have to fix/update the charging system/battery on it. Put some olive drab .50-cal ammo cans on as saddlebags and you're set; they'll also be a lot slimmer than the normal Harley aluminum luggage.

If I found one of those in stock at a giveaway price, I'd be sorely tempted...

BUT -- if facing the paint/color choices that they offer for the other 23's and 24's, I just don't see the point in spending a lot to sidegrade. Figure out what it would cost you to sidegrade to the '23, and see if you couldn't do something a lot more fun with that money. If the difference is five grand, that five grand would buy a nice Ninja 400 or something like that...

Last edited by FatBob2018; 02-26-2024 at 03:26 PM.
silverbulletking (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 03:14 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Why take a bike you fixed all the deficiencies on, and trade it in on an unknown bike?
My thoughts as well. The question asks what I would do, and the answer is that I'd be attached to the bike I'd ridden 21k miles on and I'd continue to ride it until either I couldn't anymore or it wouldn't go.

I can't imagine taking the depreciation hit every 3 years on a new motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Should I get another Pan America?