Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

Panhead Oil everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Thelma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Panhead Oil everywhere

Probably a simple explanation. Got the 53 together and filled with 60 wt oil. Started and idled fine. as it warmed up realized oil was not flowing to engine, but was building pressure in the tank and leaking from the filler cap and being forced out of the oil pump vent to the primary in copious amounts. How do I know if this is an oil pump issue or too heavy wt oil ? Just cleaned the tank and feed/return lines so I don't think its an inline blockage. No problems last month before I started my cyclic maintenance, but have never run 60 wt before. Thanks, Spud

Old 06-10-2017, 11:47 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

How about a pic of the line routing please? Are you sure you have the lines connected properly?

When you pulled the filler cap off can you see oil returning to the tank?

Why did you pull the oil tank and clean it?

Are you sure when you reinstalled the oil lines so that you did not crimp any of the lines where they are tightened?

Has nothing to do with 60 wt oil. I use 60 wt in my 49 and 65 unless it is the dead of a Kali winter when the temps get down below 30 (then I use 50 wt).

What do you mean when you state "no problems last month..."? You stated you "got the 53 together..."? Was it apart before that? Was the oil pump off the bike?

How do you know that oil was not flowing to the engine? Did you loosen the feed line where it connects to the pump? If you have oil feeding from the tank to your pump you will see it because the system is gravity fed. Granted there is also the possibility that a key on the oil pump shaft has sheared off but I would look at that as a "down the road" thing to check because that involves disassembly of the oil pump.

Is it a stock panhead oil pump?

Is you tappet screen clean?

Is you check valve ball seated properly?

That said...inspect oil lines to make sure they are properly connected, inspect oil line to ensure thay are not crimped, inspect clamps to make sure they are not pinching the lines, inspect tappet screen, inspect check ball

And...since you had the lines off as well as the tank I would start with the possibility that you created a sealed vacuum when you reconnected the lines so oil is not pumping to your motor and is sucking/sumping oil that rests in the bottom of your cases. I would loosen the feed line where it goes into the pump just enough so that you can see oil coming out of the line. Next let it run and ensure yourself that you can see oil from the return line into your tank.

Last edited by panz4ever; 06-11-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Thelma
5th Gear

How about a pic of the line routing please? Are you sure you have the lines connected properly?
Yes, hopefully photos attached

When you pulled the filler cap off can you see oil returning to the tank?
Can see movement on surface of oil, but can't quite see inlet

What do you mean when you state "no problems last month..."? You stated you "got the 53 together..."? Was it apart before that? Was the oil pump off the bike?
Been riding it but replaced rubber, brakes, rear axle, star hub, cleaned up underside of fender, etc and while I had easy access figured it was high time to flush the oil tank properly to get into that back left corner of the horseshoe.

Is it a stock panhead oil pump?
Yes

Is you tappet screen clean?
Is you check valve ball seated properly?
Just looked and to my surprise no screen or check ball,
just the screen housing, never looked before

And...since you had the lines off as well as the tank I would start with the possibility that you created a sealed vacuum when you reconnected the lines so oil is not pumping to your motor and is sucking/sumping oil that rests in the bottom of your cases. I would loosen the feed line where it goes into the pump just enough so that you can see oil coming out of the line. Next let it run and ensure yourself that you can see oil from the return line into your tank.
Did all the above, need to figure an easy way to see if oil is returning,maybe dental mirror. How much flow should there be ? I also pulled the primary inspection cover and see that the vent is not pumping oil in excess but still more than a mist. May have been partial result of sealed vacuum, hmmm

Attached Thumbnails Panhead Oil everywhere-img_1955.jpg   Panhead Oil everywhere-img_1954.jpg  
Old 06-13-2017, 11:59 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Thelma, if oil is returning to the tank, you will notice something like air bubbles (for lack of a better word) but there will definitely be movement near the surface.

The oil being diverted to your primary chain is controlled by a set screw and thin washers. The set screw is on the bottom outside portion of your pump. I can see it in your first pic and clearly in your second. The amount of oil needed seems about right as you describe. When you turn off the motor the oil dripping to the ground should be about the size of a 50-cent piece since there is no return off the primary (and hence the term that harleys always mark their spot).

The tappet screen is just that a screen under that big hexagonal nut on the top of your case next to your rear trappet block.

There should be a check ball (#8866) and spring (#26363-36) under the hexagonal cap on your pump though.

Steel lines will only go on one way since they are pre-shaped, so your lines are fine. To access the feed line nut you will need to loosen or move the brakes switch so that you can get a wrench on the nut.

And since you have been riding it, and it was operating fine then I would think it is a vacuum that was created when your reassembled the lines. I would loosen the nut on the feed line to ensure you have oil coming from the tank and then loosen the nut on the check valve. Kick it through a couple of times,. Once it starts you will get oil coming out of both areas, tighten the check ball nut and then the feed line. I believe that will solve the problem.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Thelma
5th Gear

Thanks, problem resolved. I believe you were right about the air lock. Oil is returning to tank. Disassembled, cleaned and and reinstalled primary oiler assembly. Working fine. I'll get a tappet screen, spring and check ball to install. Still wondering why it was missing. Great help !