Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

tequila sunrise paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default tequila sunrise paint

ok im just letting everyone know what I have found after more research by my wife then you could believe. first this code of 929999 and 929999/2 that is going around for the 2012 tequila sunrise paint code IS WRONG.. this code will not get you the correct color. reason being that the base is a DuPont color and the pearl is a ppg color. so going with a ppg code is not fully going to work. due to the fact that Harley has 2 different tequila sunrise codes. the base coat is basically the same base used on the 2010 screaming eagle streetglide in tequila sunrise.

But that is where the connection stops. the pearl on the 2012 is ppg 930847. and you must make it know to the mixer its for a 2012. also the epoxy primer you must use is the Omni 172 and its 175 activator. as I said the base coat formula will not crossover. these are the numbers a paint place may know what they mean because I don't know, this is for a pint reduced 1:1
dmd 1608 430.00
dmd 1684 34.9
dmd 1677 14.0
dmd 666 9.3
grams.

I got a guy up Harleys backside right now to see if I can get the exact numbers since they don't sell anything for streetglides anymore. but as of right now that's the only real info on the paint and the pearl we could find thus far. apparently the pearl is a water coat that stays fluid and for Harley to paint it as a production color it was to hard. only other thing we found is there is a guy named "gunz" who paints all of the screaming eagle bikes and this person would be the best option to get a 2012 tequila sunrise painted correctly. but there again I have yet to track this info down as of yet.

So if anyone has any info on how to get the color exactly right or anything to help out with this moco screw up pvt me or leave a post please. I want to get new lids and stretched bags and don't want them to be off like the ones I seen with this bad code running around

Old 12-13-2016, 07:08 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Bringing this one back to life to see if you ever got anywhere. Would also love stretched bags but up to this point it hasn't been an option. I was told by my dealer that harley does not even have replacement tins in this color.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:23 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotaluck
Bringing this one back to life to see if you ever got anywhere. Would also love stretched bags but up to this point it hasn't been an option. I was told by my dealer that harley does not even have replacement tins in this color.
the paint codes I gave are correct. I shot them myself and it's was an exact match. the paint code from Harley isn't even close. as far as you wanting stretched bags good luck on that. I bought probably the last set in existence off ebay last year. if I was you I would just buy a set use the paint codes I posted and find a painter who knows how to do aqua colors.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer

Great to know, thank you. Any picks of your new bags?

Old 12-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer

Originally Posted by mainboom150
the paint codes I gave are correct. I shot them myself and it's was an exact match. the paint code from Harley isn't even close. as far as you wanting stretched bags good luck on that. I bought probably the last set in existence off ebay last year. if I was you I would just buy a set use the paint codes I posted and find a painter who knows how to do aqua colors.
Sorry to bother again but the above is the code for the orange with the pearl correct? How about the solid orange on our bike, do you know what color that is called?

Old 07-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Fchilson
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint disaster

Long story short, had a bunch of new pieces painted by my local painter who is very good, hoping to get completed by Sturgis week. The paint doesn't match 2012 Tequila Sunrise. The paint came from PPG. So...I was hoping mainboom150 would be willing to list the exact components for the correct color. I realize the information is posted for the mix but if I could get the brand and numbers for each stage, I can bring it to my guy on Monday. This paint stuff is way over my pay grade so the simpler the better. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 PM
Fchilson
Stage III
Default Any leftover Tequila Sunrise 930847 Clear/Pearl Metallic

So, it turns out HD and PPG changed the Tequila Sunrise (2012) paint mix of #930847. They are unable to get the clear/pearl additive VM4102 Emberglo. The "New" approved (same number as before) color does not match (the face matches, but the metallic is no where close).

Now, my new stretch bags, chin spoiler and lids do not match. Wondering if any members have advice on locating some un-used clear/pearl 930847 or someone/shop who has the Emberglo metallic additive to mix. The clear additives are CX995 Matt Base, VM4102 Emberglo, and DBC500 Blender.
Thanks!

Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Aviator5456
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fchilson
Long story short, had a bunch of new pieces painted by my local painter who is very good, hoping to get completed by Sturgis week. The paint doesn't match 2012 Tequila Sunrise. The paint came from PPG. So...I was hoping mainboom150 would be willing to list the exact components for the correct color. I realize the information is posted for the mix but if I could get the brand and numbers for each stage, I can bring it to my guy on Monday. This paint stuff is way over my pay grade so the simpler the better. Thanks!
I realize this is a bit off subject but I had my bike repainted recently and even though my painter did a great job, after I installed the newly painted fairing, the paint under the windshield screws oozed out. The paint was about a week old and I didn't tighten the screws down but a bit over finger tight. He told me it was because it's a 3 part paint and because the color coat floats on top the base coat, it was still wet. I don't want to have it repainted, yet, so I'll just install an Arlen Ness Deep Cut windshield trim.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Tootsie Top Shot
1st Gear
Default Tequila sunrise tins

I had my front fender tin replaced in 2018. Exact match 2012 Tequila Sunrise. My paint guy was unable to get the color code from Harley, but fortunately I was able to order the tin.

Originally Posted by Lotaluck

Old 07-30-2019, 11:05 PM
Redwood2112
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Replaced tin?

Tootsie,
You were able to order a new fender exact match 2012 tequila sunrise?.
I hope so. Please let me know.

Quick Reply: tequila sunrise paint