Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Prepping Mirrors for Powder

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 07:21 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Prepping Mirrors for Powder

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone had some good tricks to remove the mirror glass from a mirror assembly prior to sending it for powder coat? I hear that a heat gun applied to the back of the mirror, but I wanted to know if anyone had first hand experience. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:29 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

rolled edge rim, you will have to break it
glued in, heat or solvent but that can have unwanted side effects.
worst to worst, bring it to a auto glass shop. you might have to break it and replace it, done that on my tow truck to get rid of the parabolic view mirrors.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

If you're gonna coat them black....Just go buy a set of factory black mirrors, a lot less hassle.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Well I guess I will see what im working with once the mirrors come in the mail. The cost difference between the ebay specials that I found and the blacked out new in box harley part is like 170 bucks. I'm holding out that there will be an option outside of shattering the glass.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by MNtadpole
Well I guess I will see what im working with once the mirrors come in the mail. The cost difference between the ebay specials that I found and the blacked out new in box harley part is like 170 bucks. I'm holding out that there will be an option outside of shattering the glass.
What's the cost of the ones you're getting with the powder coat cost added? If it's within $30 or $40......It's not worth the trouble to go through all of the taking them apart and putting them back together nonsense.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:33 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Here's an update. I got the mirrors in the mail and they are in great shape, better than I had expected for a used pair of mirrors. I got the mirros for $26 + shipping. Not too bad if I can say so myself. Here is the like of a comparable black version: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-style-mirrors Those darn things are $199.

Here's a picture of my purchase:

I will be rolling the dice here shortly, with a heat-gun, to remove the glass so it can go to powdercoat.

Last edited by MNtadpole; 02-22-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:45 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
What's the cost of the ones you're getting with the powder coat cost added? If it's within $30 or $40......It's not worth the trouble to go through all of the taking them apart and putting them back together nonsense.
I totally understand what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure I would stay under the cost of buying the comparable part for $199 brand new. So far I have only spent $26 + shipping. Lets just round to 36. That would leave me with about $164 to lose in the powdercoat, if I was trying to break even. I can't imagine the mirrors costing more than $30 each to coat. The place that I will be bring my whole powdercoating project quoted about $20 for a single rockerbox cover, just to give a cost estimate. Personally, my whole powdercoating project is a fun journey for myself. I will be considering my time spent as part of the experience, not part of the cost.

Here are all the parts that will be heading to powdercoating next week:

I'm excited!

Old 03-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure about those mirrors, but I did us a heat gun and was able to carefully remove the glass on my stock mirrors. Putting them back in I used RTV silicone.
FYI, on any engine parts, make sure you clean them before re-installing on your bike. There may be some fine residue from the powdercoater prepping the part, you don't want that in your engine. I also had to clean up some of the edges so it would seat correctly. Take your time.
I did have a few "pucker" moments but over all it was a good learning experience.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:47 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

I've powder coated a lot of mirrors. Ask your powder coater to hang them so the mirrors are either screwed into a 90 degree brace holding them face up or handing in such a way as to minimize the chance they will fall out when heated. When the glue cools all is well. Never had a problem.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:33 PM
actfitwil
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelwanderer
I've powder coated a lot of mirrors. Ask your powder coater to hang them so the mirrors are either screwed into a 90 degree brace holding them face up or handing in such a way as to minimize the chance they will fall out when heated. When the glue cools all is well. Never had a problem.
I know this post is old but did you remove the glass on the mirror before powder coating?

Quick Reply: Prepping Mirrors for Powder