Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Matching black denim paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Sfcg77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching black denim paint

I was wondering if anyone out there knew a good spray paint I could use to match my denim black FatBoy Lo. Most of the bike is blacked out and I need to paint a few small things to match. Any suggestions would be great.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, can't tell you what does match from a rattle-can, but I can tell you what doesn't. At least partially.

I installed an OEM black denim fuel tank on my FXDP this winter, and decided to paint the other tins myself using ColorRite 6035 Black Denim urethane in a rattle-can. Almost $40/can! Instructions say, no clear is needed to match HD factory black denim. Sorry, wrong!

I painted the tins, 3 coats, and in comparing to the OEM tank, it was clearly different hue. I knew the tank had been cleared as are all OEM tanks, so I cleared it with ColorRite eggshell clear. That definately got it closer, but it's still clearly not a match. It's close, but no cigar. I went ahead & mounted the tins with the OEM tank. The only thing that saves me is they are not right next to each other.

For small parts, particularly those that are not adjacent to OEM paint, it would be fine. For small parts myself, I use Rustoleum Bed Liner Paint. Tough as nails; cheap as dirt; looks great; but not a Black Denim match.

I've read that John Deere Blitz Black is a very close match. And 1/3rd the price. I may try that on the tins next year.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Sfcg77
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Powder coat there's a few that match pretty qell spot on

Old 02-12-2013, 08:56 PM
deadrider
Road Captain

Napa can make u any paint u want they even have paint codes there

Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Sfcg77
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deadrider
Napa can make u any paint u want they even have paint codes there
Napa can match paint?? That's awesome. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Choctaw
Intermediate

I read a while back about a guy who had put a lot of effort trying out different kinds of spray paint trying to match the factory denim. He was not only trying to match the paint but also trying to find the most durable paint that would last on chrome. He tried several different paints and decided on one. He said that the John Deere Blitz Black matched perfectly but best of all, he said it was nearly as durable as powder coat. He said you had to use a screw driver and press hard to even scratch it. I have not tried it yet but I just ordered several cans and plan to tackle various parts soon.

http://www.shopgreendealer.com/John-...2-TY25669.html

Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Sfcg77
Intermediate

Thanks , I just ordered a can of the John Deere paint. I'll let you know how it works out. Going to paint the linkage and shift levers. I'll post some pics

Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Choctaw
Intermediate

Sounds good. I can't wait to see the pics. I have several cans in the other oom just waiting to be used. I will be blacking out lots of things including my primary cover, partial engine, and wheels....

Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Sfcg77
Intermediate

I was going to paint my primary cover and cam cover. I ended up finding all the wrinkle black parts factory hd parts on craigslist for a pretty good deal. You should search eBay and craigslist for wrinkle black harley parts if you don't feel like trying to match the paint exactly.

Quick Reply: Matching black denim paint