Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Pinstripe paint removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Live2RideNJ83
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinstripe paint removal

I bough my bike with painted on flames and pinstripes which I think are cool as hell looking. But there were two sentimental phrases painted on both fenders by the previous owner, which I removed with Easy Off oven cleaner as suggested by many on these forums. The only thing is now I have two shadows where those phrases were and on the front fender you can still see the outline from some of the words. I do not own a buffer, is there a way I can buff these out by hand? What products and methods should I use? If I brought it to the dealer to buff, how much would they rape me for doing it?

Old 03-22-2014, 03:26 PM
TLONG
Advanced

I have the same thing going on as you. Hope someone chimes in.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,084 Likes on 18,674 Posts

First off, Welcome to the Forum. First I'd clean the area with a Clay Bar to be sure that there are no surface contaminants that would mar the finish. Then use Meguiars Swirl & Scratch Remover to clean up the area. You may find that this will do the trick. If it makes an improvement but you're still not satisfied try a quality Polish ( polishes are made for renewing the surface, not protecting it ). It that doesn't do the trick you might try riding a local body shop that does detailing also and ask for advice. Don't get hooked up with the local dealer on this task. Once you've achieved the desired look then apply a quality wax. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:54 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends whether the artwork was over or under the clear, sandwiched between clear coats or inter-coat clear, or over the base.

If you had to break through the clear to remove the artwork, no amount of polish will help you ( requiring clearing the complete fender ).

Most artwork is cleared over so you may have broken through the top coat of clear to remove the artwork, there may be more clear underneath however you will not be able to remove the 'ring' of clear around the artwork.

Do you have Macro pics?

Old 03-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Live2RideNJ83
Stage II

I was thinking about trying the clay bar approach, then polish, and wax. The work was done over the clear coat. I don't have pics at the moment, but if it would help someone to get a better idea of what I'm looking at, I could run to storage tomorrow and snap a few pics. Thanks for the input guys!

Old 03-23-2014, 01:33 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Live2RideNJ83
I was thinking about trying the clay bar approach, then polish, and wax. The work was done over the clear coat. I don't have pics at the moment, but if it would help someone to get a better idea of what I'm looking at, I could run to storage tomorrow and snap a few pics. Thanks for the input guys!
If you didn't break through the clear coat removing the art work, then it's just a matter of wet-sanding/polishing the clear. There are many techniques and products out there that will do the job, use your google machine to research.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 PM
TLONG
Advanced

On my situation, I have a white bike and it had a red stripe painted over the clear. The red came off fine on the metal (tank and fender).
The plastic side covers, saddlebags, and batwing is a different story. While the red stripe come off, it did leave a pink shadow and is killing me to get it removed. Will the clay bar help me? I have tried polish, compound, about everything I know......HELP PLEASE

Not trying to hi-jack your post bro.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

Sounds like you both have a similar problem. Find a inconspicuous spot and sand it with some 1500-2500 grit sandpaper. If it comes off with a few strokes you should have no problem getting it all off then buff and polish. I would recommend going by a autopaint supplier or bodyshop and get a sheet each of 1500, 2500, 3000 and 5000 grit paper. Sand with each grit a little at a time, bythe time you get done with the 5000 grit you will have some shine back and it will be very easy to buff by hand. Then polish and wax. If it doesn't come off with a few strokes of 1500 grit then it may have settled too deep to remove, but you would be surprised what you can get out of paint.