Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Post Primary Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Whiskersvtwin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post Primary Fluid

Good day everyone,

Quick question - and it was late last night so go easy.

I installed the new starter clutch yesterday and and changed the primary fluid and installing a new inner primary gasket. I took it for a test right this morning and with the clutch engaged, while not moving, I went from 1st to 2nd and it was if the clutch was not even engaged - no clutch engaged noise. Tried again and it went ok. Went a block and it felt as if I was fighting against something - grabbing. Came back took some fluid out, overfilled a bit, started up - same thing.

Now here's what I didn't do last night - I didn't adjust the clutch after refilling with new primary, which I'm going to do today. Question - could new fluid cause this when the clutch is not readjusted.

2nd Question - I followed the step by step when I installed the new starter clutch - if I did something incorrectly, what could it have been that would cause this?

3rd Question - When I took the inner primary off, could I have somehow altered the clutch cable?

It's always the simplest task with the most issues.

Thanks all,
Whiskers

Old 06-06-2016, 05:22 PM
6530mask
Elite HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskersvtwin
Good day everyone,

Quick question - and it was late last night so go easy.

I installed the new starter clutch yesterday and and changed the primary fluid and installing a new inner primary gasket. I took it for a test right this morning and with the clutch engaged, while not moving, I went from 1st to 2nd and it was if the clutch was not even engaged - no clutch engaged noise. Tried again and it went ok. Went a block and it felt as if I was fighting against something - grabbing. Came back took some fluid out, overfilled a bit, started up - same thing.

Now here's what I didn't do last night - I didn't adjust the clutch after refilling with new primary, which I'm going to do today. Question - could new fluid cause this when the clutch is not readjusted.

2nd Question - I followed the step by step when I installed the new starter clutch - if I did something incorrectly, what could it have been that would cause this?

3rd Question - When I took the inner primary off, could I have somehow altered the clutch cable?

It's always the simplest task with the most issues.

Thanks all,
Whiskers

Replacing the starter clutch has nothing to do with the clutch problems you're experiencing.

I'd begin by readjusting the clutch - but it is hard to believe that your clutch is so far out of adjustment that the clutch is permanently disengaged. With the derby cover removed, work the clutch and check to see what visible movement occurs. If you've described your problem accurately the clutch spring is not releasing. The work you did should not have involved the clutch cable at all.

I wouldn't ride it until I've determined the problem and rectified it.

The following users liked this post:
Whiskersvtwin (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:15 AM
Whiskersvtwin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I adjusted the clutch and no issues there. However, my mechanic muscled the lock nut on there. I bout an pass through ratchet since the wrench was slipping on the bolt - need to order a new bolt.

When I pick up the parts for my repair I also picked up some new plugs. The parts guy said to check the gap, have had some complaints of bad plugs. I remembered this last night and this morning put the old plugs back in and no issues - starts great and runs great.

Now I need to replace the brake fluid. The rear brake is not smooth and the pads look good - and it's been a few years since the fluid was changed.

Thanks for you input - really appreciate it.

Whiskers

Last edited by Whiskersvtwin; 06-07-2016 at 10:18 AM.