Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

I may have finally found my "squeaking" noise (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:12 PM
SummitRK
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I may have finally found my "squeaking" noise (hopefully)

I've had a "squeaking" going on for two riding seasons. I've had the primary opened up in the past, and found that the nut on the compensating sprocket was very loose (finger tight). I torqued it, and thought for sure it that would solve my squeaking problem. Nope! About a week ago I tried to adjust the primary chain, and put HD Primary fluid in. It made it louder! I was previously running Amsoil 20W50. So, with that said, i will be sticking with the Amsoil. Ok, so i took the entire primary cover off, and checking everything thoroughly i found that i was able to wiggle the clutch assembly back and forth just a hair. a very minute amount. However, when i was trying to wiggle it, it was enough to put slack in and out of the chain. Thankfully it's not the main bearing. It seems like it's the clutch hub bearing. Would this cause a squeaking noise? It was most heard when the engine was thoroughly warmed up, and i was somewhat lugging it (ie:40mph in 5th gear). It's all apart, so i guess it's going to get replaced, and hopefully it takes care of the squeaking that i have been trying to find for over a year! opinions? thanks!

Old 08-16-2016, 08:25 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Whenever I hear someone say "squeaking" I think belt, rubber. Bearings usually "whine" more then squeak.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:19 PM
SummitRK
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Whenever I hear someone say "squeaking" I think belt, rubber. Bearings usually "whine" more then squeak.
I will keep that in mind. I've thought about the drive belt. Thanks!