Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch drag

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 03:46 PM
GlennJ
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clutch drag

Hoping the experts can clue me in here. 2012 FLHTK Twin Cam, mechanical-cable actuated wet clutch. Barnett carbon fiber plates and Dexron VI fluid (recommended by Barnett). It's wearing out apparently, and I have a complete new set of steel and carbon fiber plates (Barnett) ready to go, but I would like to understand what is happening and why. I've worn out a few dirt bike clutches and they always start to slip, not drag, when they are ready for replacement. In this case, with the Harley, it's set up properly according to the service manual with actuator rod clearance and lever free play. When new the service manual setup procedure always has worked but with miles and time, when set up properly according to the manual the clutch still has very significant drag (way too much) until it gets hot, then it's better but still not right... still drags. No slippage.

I am wondering if the entire pack is worn to under limits, too thin, if this would cause drag? Just shooting from the hip I would have thought the opposite, that a too thin pack would tend to slip. I have a complete new set of plates, fiber and steel, and do have the ability to measure the thickness, but just would like to know what's going on for my own knowledge bank.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-06-2018, 05:06 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Worn plates are going to cause a slipping issue not a dragging issue. Couple things to check, if you have a dial indicator put it on the clutch release plate, pull the lever in and see how much the indicator moves. This will tell you how much release you are getting. You want at least .070" plate separation. If you are not getting that much release you may have a bad or sticky cable or possibly a grooved clutch basket that is not allowing the plates to separate.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:26 PM
GlennJ
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Worn plates are going to cause a slipping issue not a dragging issue. Couple things to check, if you have a dial indicator put it on the clutch release plate, pull the lever in and see how much the indicator moves. This will tell you how much release you are getting. You want at least .070" plate separation. If you are not getting that much release you may have a bad or sticky cable or possibly a grooved clutch basket that is not allowing the plates to separate.
Thanks Mark, I appreciate your feedback. That makes sense to me. I know the basket is grooved a bit, was thinking that the grooves were from the plate tabs sliding WHILE they separated, so drew the conclusion that it should not be an issue. I will do some measuring. You are appreciated.