Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

05 heritage softail classic- compensator nut fixed but now runs like c**p

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:31 AM
Anoai808
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 heritage softail classic- compensator nut fixed but now runs like c**p

y 04:54 AM
A guys I’m looking for solution or just and answer really.
My bike had bin making and metal to metal vibration noise coming from the primary case.. so I checked it out and behold I could spin nut and compensator by hand... took it out cleaned treads. And re tourqe to 75ft/pounds with a 45 degree turn...... and red lock tight..... Now! I start the bike I have no bottom end even in nutral! Bike runs like it’s running on one cylinder or it’s like choked up and won’t have any throttle response . Bike would run perfect before I had tightened bolt. Could I have done something to the crank bearings? Or something... some one please help! Thanks a bunch. Also I could not find anything on forum that had the same problem so that’s why I’m asking for the help. Thanks guys

Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

I'd look the bike over for something simple. ..maybe a loose plug wire or maybe you hit the crank position sensor while removing or replacing the primary cover. Also you don't mention checking the free play in the chain. Good luck

Old 02-18-2019, 10:05 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Not sure what is causing the bike to run bad. Do you know which ECM you are using? Is it stock? Did you disconnect the battery during the work?

Also if you did not pull the clutch and comp off, you should go back in and look at the splines on the alternator rotor. They may be damaged.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Anoai808
2nd Gear
Default Thanks.

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I'd look the bike over for something simple. ..maybe a loose plug wire or maybe you hit the crank position sensor while removing or replacing the primary cover. Also you don't mention checking the free play in the chain. Good luck
chain is a little on the slack side not to crazy tho.... could that cause the bike to run that bad tho? And where is the cranks position sensor located?

Old 02-18-2019, 12:26 PM
Anoai808
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Not sure what is causing the bike to run bad. Do you know which ECM you are using? Is it stock? Did you disconnect the battery during the work?

Also if you did not pull the clutch and comp off, you should go back in and look at the splines on the alternator rotor. They may be damaged.
stock electric control mod and no I didn’t disconnect the batterie. My bad.
i check the splines and they look ok. For a bike with 9,000 miles it looked good actually. FYI 9,000 miles is a lot here in Hawaii haha!

Old 02-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

Crank position sensor is right by your oil filter above the primary cover

Old 02-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Anoai808
2nd Gear
Default .

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Crank position sensor is right by your oil filter above the primary cover
replaced and still runs bad.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Usually when compensator is loose on the older 10 spline cranks, the alternator rotor spline goes. It can actually get off center enough to drag magnets.

Also depending on how long it had been loose, the face wears (only thing driving it after spline goes is compensator spring and it still slips and spins)
That side wear lets sprocket move over and misaligns sprocket front to back.

Then it clicks at low full circle turn speed in a hard turn let's chain nip sprocket since most it can be off is 1/32".

Also, I have read how you torqued it. My experience is to use a torque wrench that is within torque spec. If you watch, 75 and then that 45 is mostly the compensator winding up. On your 05, I am not truely sure what you put on it. When I tried that, it was way low.

Also, need to make sure all that old loctite is out of that internal nut.

Just some thoughts. Your fix reminds me of my first one. What I am discribeing is my second fix to get it right.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-19-2019 at 12:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (02-19-2019)