Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Ultima primary drive starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 11:11 PM
Jason Sawyer
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultima primary drive starting problem

Recently installed an Ultima open primary on my 02 fxst 88/5spd. Starter will only grind. Installed the new and improved fix for the starter gear. No improvement. It only grinds. Will not start. Am open to suggestions. Need this to work.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:58 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,283 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Did you check the distance between the pinion gear and the ring gear?

Old 05-26-2020, 05:49 PM
Jason Sawyer
Stage IV
Default Yes.

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Did you check the distance between the pinion gear and the ring gear?
Have shimmed to about 1/8". Have tried a larger gap. Still just grinds. Thinking start gear diameter is the problem. Too large to engage clutch ring gear. Only thing I can see.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:06 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Well you might want a smaller gap. Can you pull the pinion gear out and watch it engage the ring gear? Are there marks from not engaging? I assume the pinion gear and ring gear came in the primary kit. Could the stater clutch be bad? Which kit are you using?

Old 05-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Jason Sawyer
Stage IV
Default Checked gap

Well you might want a smaller gap. Can you pull the pinion gear out and watch it engage the ring gear? Are there marks from not engaging? I assume the pinion gear and ring gear came in the primary kit. Could the stater clutch be bad? Which kit are you using?
Used pinion gear with kit. Then tried the new improved pinion gear that's supposed to be the fix. No difference. The teeth appear to be hitting the ring gear too deep and not engaging into ring gear. Just a really **** poor design. Going to a machine shop tomorrow to see if I can get about .030 milled off of the pinion gear. Just spit balling at this point. If this doesn't work going back with factory chain drive.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jason Sawyer
Used pinion gear with kit. Then tried the new improved pinion gear that's supposed to be the fix. No difference. The teeth appear to be hitting the ring gear too deep and not engaging into ring gear. Just a really **** poor design. Going to a machine shop tomorrow to see if I can get about .030 milled off of the pinion gear. Just spit balling at this point. If this doesn't work going back with factory chain drive.
You mean that the pinion to ring gear spacing is off enough that the teeth cannot mesh? If that is the case, is the outside bearing support pinned to the back plate?

Old 05-26-2020, 09:46 PM
Jason Sawyer
Stage IV

You mean that the pinion to ring gear spacing is off enough that the teeth cannot mesh? If that is the case, is the outside bearing support pinned to the back plate?
​​​​​​There is not an outside bearing support. I purchased the Ultima street kit. I know, cheap. Got what I paid for I guess. Still have $1000 in it at this time and bike only grinds when trying to start. Have rechecked install three times. It is lined up and correct. Starter pinion is only variable I can come up with. Drilling out holes on pinion support cap has been suggested. A lot. Leads me to believe that the problem is in that area.