Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Leak proof primary ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 02:30 PM
themechanic1776
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Leak proof primary ???

So I read an article on Bagger awhile back about counter boring the blind holes for fasteners to accept O-rings for the inner primary to essentially stop/prevent leaks . They say to have a shop perform the work due to skill and equipment needed . So I would really like to upgrade my primary setup On my 2003 98In road king I’ve researched going to belt Driven primary and that looks to be full of potential headaches but it goT me thinking does anyone manufacture an already altered inner primary to accept O-rings ? I’m looking to knock down some noise smooth out vibrations and would love the idea of a leak proof setup ! I’m currently running the baker 25T comp sprocket and their fine tooth adjuster with a BDL extra plate clutch 30% stiffer spring and all ***** Upgraded performance Inner primary bearing . What can I do to smooth it out quiet it down and aside from having to perform the counter boring myself does anyone know of an already modified inner primary case ? I do plan to log some long rides , this bike will be seeing long stretches of highway so reliability is crucial !
All 1st hand experience and input is greatly appreciated! I’ve ran the search feature and finding direct clear to the point info has been hit or miss .

Old 06-29-2020, 08:18 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,283 Likes on 3,643 Posts

I don't think that counter boring the bolt holes is going to quiet down your primary.

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:01 PM
themechanic1776
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I don't think that counter boring the bolt holes is going to quiet down your primary.
I didn’t claim it would quiet anything . I was listing some of the things I’d like to accomplish not claiming installing O-rings to aid in sealing primary would do anything to affect primary noise . If I miss worded something please point it out so I can fix it .

Old 06-29-2020, 11:37 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,283 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Originally Posted by themechanic1776
I didn’t claim it would quiet anything . I was listing some of the things I’d like to accomplish not claiming installing O-rings to aid in sealing primary would do anything to affect primary noise . If I miss worded something please point it out so I can fix it .
What can I do to smooth it out quiet it down and aside from having to perform the counter boring myself does anyone know of an already modified inner primary case ?
Well that sentence is confusing.

BTW with an 03, check the motor comp nut and make sure that it is not bottomed out on the crank and not clamping. Many simply grind 0.060" of the end. These primaries are typically pretty quiet. Check the splines inside the alternator rotor.