Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary Bearing 06 Dyna and newer models

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Pixs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Bearing 06 Dyna and newer models

Howdy Folks,

Now for the bad news! The 06 Dyna (and probably all other later models) is a completely different beastie than the rest. Primary bearing is required to be replaced every 15K miles. At the time I bought mine (build date 03/08/06 and #160 built that Wed.), I was told the problem with the primary bearing had been resolved. Right, they just made changing the bearing part of the 15K mile service.

The noise sounds like a throw out bearing is going bad in a car. That would be in neutral and will go away when you pull the clutch lever in when it first shows up and will progressively get louder.

Well boys and girls, it ain’t going to make it that fare. Symptoms will begin to show up around 7K miles that the bearing is history and if you let it go (like I did) hoping to make it to the 15K change point, you will also need to change the clutch hub bearing. I needed this done at 12,200 miles. My dealer did warranty it and two months ago, I was told that I wouldn't have any more problems with it. I just put on an additional 7K miles and the bearing is self destructing again. I'm going to have a chat with the service manager yet again. I need to check out a different fix for this "little" problem. I'm not sure of the international number of the primary bearing but I will write it down this time, It is a roller bearing and I do believe it is shielded. My guess is that the shielding is keeping an adequate supply of oil from reaching the rollers. I need to check this out at a good bearing shop but my guess is that it should be replaced with a double row sealed ball bearing (if it will fit) with the inner seal removed. That is a task to be done after the warranty is up. Baker sells a bearing that is a heavy duty number for earlier engines but I'm not sure that it will fit in the newer design engine (internal oil lines). Stay tuned, I will apprise you of what I find out.

Anyone else been down this road with an 06 Dyna or 07 and up all big twins? Please speak up and let us know how you faired. BTW keep in mind that the design of the 06 Dyna is so different from other 06 models and earlier bikes that it should not be compared to them;

Old 10-08-2007, 04:16 PM
JakeSabre
Cruiser
Default RE: Primary Bearing 06 Dyna and newer models

What exactly is so different on the 06 Dyna from other HDs?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 PM
JakeSabre
Cruiser

NOTICE OF AMENDMENT TO OWNER’S MANUAL
2006 MODEL DYNATM MOTORCYCLES
Dear Customer:
In order to monitor the quality of our products, it has become customary in recent years for
Harley-Davidson to implement an Initial Care Program on any significant new product changes.
These programs are generally managed through the Company’s authorized dealers during the
motorcycle’s introduction period.
In keeping with this practice, Harley-Davidson implemented an Initial Care Program for the all new
2006 model year Dyna motorcycles at the time of introduction. This program allows Harley-
Davidson to better monitor initial repair trends on this new motorcycle family and provide rapid
resolution to customer concerns. The Initial Care Program for the 2006 Dyna motorcycles differs
from the service interval information published in your owner’s manual:
♦ A lubricant change for the primary chain and transmission is now specified at
1,000 miles, and at every 5,000 miles thereafter, and
♦ An inner primary bearing replacement is required at 15,000-mile intervals.
Harley-Davidson has preliminarily determined the inner primary bearing on your 2006 Dyna
motorcycle will require replacement at 15,000 mile intervals. The bearing will be replaced by
your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer at 15,000 miles and at subsequent 15,000-mile intervals,
at no cost to you. This service requirement may change over time as we make improvements and
monitor repair trends on 2006 Dyna motorcycles. Your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer will
be your best source of any updates to this requirement.
Please acknowledge that you have read and understood these provisions regarding your new
Dyna motorcycle by signing below. We request that you keep your copy of this notification with
your Owner’s Manual so that you have it for future reference.
Steve Phillips
Vice President – Quality and Customer Service

Old 10-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine went at 5,600 miles and was replaced free (still under warranty.)

Someone posted that the Customer Care letter was replaced with another one that recinded the replace-for-free every 15,000 miles.

I never got either one.

Curious to hear what happened to anyone that had a bearing go bad after the bike is out of the warranty period.

Sammi

Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Have they made any changes, or are they still replacing it with the same bearing?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:52 PM
marcss
Road Captain

My '06 wideglide the inner primary bearing went out at about 8k. I'm at 15k now and waiting. Havn't heard the "noises" yet, keeping my fingers crossed. Was having a stuttering missing problem and someone said that a poor ground could cause that as wheel as the bearing problem. Will see what happens. My missing problem went away after the 10k service but now it's back.... uh oh!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vicsponjr

Have they made any changes, or are they still replacing it with the same bearing?
I read somewhere that one of the changes for 08 models was the gearbox output shaft and inner primary bearing.

Can anyone confirm this?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:51 PM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

My inner primary went out at 6991 mi i have 14000 mi now still quiet been running AmsOil 75/90 severe duty i have ben waiting an aquantance had second go at 16000 mi have not scene him since to find out what happened

Old 10-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Pixs
Tourer

I haven't been back to the dealer yet. Jake, I see that you found the letter that the MOCO sent out, that indicates that it is different but does not say what is different.

Sammi: I never got either notice. Bike has almost 20K miles on it.

Vicsponjr: The replacement bearing had the same international number on it. Yes it was identical to the origional.

Marcss: Looks like it is working for you. The dealer had a suply of the origional bearing, maybe his inventory up date has not cought up to a newer design where I go for help.

Oilslick: That's what I want to know.

Jandlcars: I use Mobile-1 75W - 90 Synthetic or Castrol 75W - 90 Synthetic.

Still looking for answers.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:53 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Finally got my bike over to the dealer. Mechanic called me and said he had bad news, which scared me. When I ask what the bad news was he said "your bikes down". Well no ****! That's why I took it to you! What's wrong with it???? When will I have it back???? I was so eager to know when I'd have it back that I can't make sense of his answer. I asked him if it was the primary bearing, but he said it was a bearing and a race. Is it possible that neither one of us was listening to each other? I'll have to call him back tomorrow and get the scoop.

Quick Reply: Primary Bearing 06 Dyna and newer models