Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

EVO Primary on TC88

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM
T4Turtle
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Primary on TC88

New to the forum and did a few searches on this. I own a 2002 FXST and purchased a chrome primary on Ebay past year and it is for an Evo. I clearanced some of the ribbing where it is close to the clutch for extra clearance, and it bolted on no problem.

The only issue is where the inspection cover is on the TC88 has two long bolts at the 12 and3 o'clock position that go into the "inner" primary cover. On the EVO cover they are just there to bolt the inspection cover on. The holes are blind, or do not go through, so I do not see this being a big issue not sure why they decided to have the extra clamping force here on the TC88 motor, maybe just to sell a "new" part number.

Also drilling through the primary cover at these positions and running the longer boltwill not work as it is a little off of the inner primary bolt holes.

My friend has a TC88 motor with an aftermarket primary with the 3 bolt EVO derby which was innstalled by a shop, I thought they maybe put a EVO cover on, but his has these longer bolts in these positions.

Another question is when did they change the starter bushing? And can a late bushing be installed in an early cover (same OD)? This is a 3 hole derby cover so I am assuming it is early cover.

Maybe it's not worth the effort, and I should just re-sell it, It's a really nice cover and I only paid $35, but it may cost me time.

Anybody done this before?

Thanks,
Terry

Old 05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
T4Turtle
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EVO Primary on TC88

Here is what I have found out so far.

The starter shaft bushing on a pre 94 Evo is .888 ID, and the post 94 EVO and TC88 is .668. Everyhting else bolts right on, except the two bolts mentioned above at 12 and 3 o'clock positions, which I see no big issues with, they do not use them on the newer TC motors and did not use them in the Evo.

So if you remove the Evo bushing and install one with a .668 ID it should work, or if you can press a new bushing in the original bushing (might be easier) with the end result of .668 ID it still should work. The OD of the Evo cover is 1.05 and the TC cover is .780. You could find a bushing close and modify as well. Have not researched this yet, also have not confirmed that the holes match up center to center. But with some clay and a fixture to transfer the C/L over this can be done.

I will post more information as I get more. I actually purchased a TC88 chrome cover but am still curious about this working. You can get a Evo chrome cover cheaper on Ebay so this may be of interest to somebody. If anyone is a machinist please let me know what a good pressed fit would be (I'm thinking .004) and if pressing one bushing into another is an issue.

Note: I did measure this with a Craftsmen dial caliper, the dimensions should be close.