Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

ultima 6 speed gear swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:31 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

probably not the best idea for company management to get caught up in pissing matches on a forum. That said, nothing wrong with setting the record straight about false or misleading information. I have a Baker 6 speed with a Jim's 120 in my '03 Ultra (because I can) and couldn't be happier.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:38 PM
r136dg
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For what it's worth

My experience with Ultimas gear set; For the price, I had to do it in the name of science (lol). I didn't use their main seal & I believe the fifth gear seal (looked more like an o-ring. Had to do a wee bit of grinding in the case also, I believe around the lever assembly/shifter pawl area. PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL ON THE INSTALLATION!
At first I thought the setup sucked but after some break in the noise subdued a bit (little in 4rth, lot in 6th). Changed oil at 100, 500 & 1,000 miles & the 1st couple of changes were nasty. After a couple thousand miles I was ok with it. Needed a speedo calibration & I don't mind the 4rth gear light. 6th still makes a lot of noise but it shifts as good as any 5 speed I've had. I do sense a bit more drag than a 5, could be my imagination or maybe another set of gears in the oil actually causes that to a small extent.
In all honesty, I wouldn't do it again. Bikes geared low, 95" with ported heads, high lift cams, ect. & I ride with a a windshield. At 70+ mph in 6th she's got less power available compared to being in fifth at the same speeds & throwing out a couple hundred more rpm's in 5th doesn't bother me (or the bike). When I have time, the 5 may very likely go back in.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts
Default Actually ,

I have an ultima 6 in my 98 and I have no problems with it at all, I have a 1000 miles on it and it handles 97/97 hp/tq. cant complain yet and hopefully won't for a long time. They are a little noisy but I believe thats because of the straight cut gear but they are also supposed to be stronger. I just hope the dogs on the sides of the gears are stronger too cause my on original 5 speed they got worn off from power shifting. so far these are holding up.I'm satisfied..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 03-04-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:15 PM
james77075
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will one day buy a Baker....
You know....everyone screams buy American made...until they have to pay for it. You have to pay for quality materials... Quality experience... Quality workmanship... But no one wants to pay for that price.... they bictch...and then buy the cheap stuff. Right now I'm sitting at McDonalds with a broke down bike with the Ultima transmission the probably doesn't have 1000 miles on it. Came to the forum to see what I could do looking into rebuilding mine can see everybody trying to trash Baker just like everything else you want quality you have to pay for quality and that's workmanship materials and price

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Ok... my comments were not directed at any of my potential customer's if you don't have the money, you don't have the money. If I sounded upset or arrogant or whatever it is for this reason. Before my boss Bert Baker designed the 6 speed there was no 6 speed for american V-twins. No drawings, no patents, no ideas. Bert rolled the dice cashed in everything(including his kids college funds) and went into business for himself. He designed, tested, promoted and gave everything he had to get this product up and running. Guess what he did it. Then the the thief's came, and stole his design using **** steel they stood on his shoulders and said look what we have and we will sell it to you dirt cheap because we don't care about quality or our employees or anything but our pocket books. So to say we were a little pissed is an understatement. Forward to today, are we a little cocky? Yes, we survived their unslaught of garbage and undercutting, we survived this recession and now we are stronger than ever and making better products than ever. If I offended anyone in any way I'm sorry. I hope you folks never have to put everything you have in to something just to watch some cowards steal it. I am actually the crazy one around here. Everyone I work with are amazing people. Bert and Lisa Baker are some of the most kind and generous people I have ever met. So when people start throwing bulls*&t statements that could possibly hurt their reputation I will be there to deflect the bulls%#T. The one thing you don't see in our overhead is people like me on this forum here to help you in anyway I can with your technical issues, or my friends that work along side of me when you call us for help. I don't know of too many companies who can compare with us on that level.

Thanks

Mark Pavlica

Old 12-11-2015, 04:38 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

You buy quality ONCE. Crap has to be paid for over and over. Usually, even when it "works" there's still some regret.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:44 PM
hog9777
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultima junk

Originally Posted by Mark P
Mark from Baker here. Just to clear the air our gears are made by Insco a manufacturing company in Groton, MA. Are all of our components made in the U.S.A? 99% of them are, there are certain bearings that we need that are not manufactured anywhere in this country. We invite anyone who was ever thinking about opening there own business to start a bearing manufacturing company. Straight cut gears are noisier than helical but they are also stronger. 07 and up transmissions are cruise drive six speeds and our DD6 and OD6 are not compatible with these. Our DD7 is the direct replacement for the cruise drive. We invite you to please try the Ultima first so you have a comparison basis, and when your ready for the best we will be here waiting.

P.S. you called Ultima and someone answered the phone?
I agree with you, I made the mistake of buying one of their 127 **** pile El Bruto Motors thank God I bought your Baker six speed it gave me a quality part to bolt my S&S 124 to lol