Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary Drain Plug??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 AM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It Beats me why they alway change the little things,
might be just to keep us on our toes.

Last edited by frogg; 12-30-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frogg
It Beats me why they alway change the little things,
might be just to keep us on our toes.
There's two types of plugs, depending on the years. The tapered pipe plugs that people use sealant or teflon tape to seal the threads with and the newer o ring style that needs no sealant since the o-ring does all the sealing.
Teflon tape is best saved for household plumbing tasks. a A sealant paste is a better solution for the tapered plug threads. Neither plug will cause problems if one understands how they work and avoid the upper end of the torque settings. Too tight in my view.
Ron

Old 12-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Kerrysback
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary oil change

Tech 23.

Recently purchased an 07 Superglide.. 6 speed. Can't get a service manual for one month!! If I remove the 5 torque screws{ step 5 } there is no way that a quart of oil will fit without major overflow. Question: About 3 inches behind the six speed cover and top of engine block is a 3/8 hex screw could this be the fill point for my primary? If not what is it?

Thanks
Kerry

Old 12-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kerrysback
Tech 23.

Recently purchased an 07 Superglide.. 6 speed. Can't get a service manual for one month!! If I remove the 5 torque screws{ step 5 } there is no way that a quart of oil will fit without major overflow. Question: About 3 inches behind the six speed cover and top of engine block is a 3/8 hex screw could this be the fill point for my primary? If not what is it?

Thanks
Kerry
Your point of fill IS at the cover where you remove the 5 T-27 screws....

And yes, once it is drained, you can get far more than a quart in there....

BTW, Welcome aboard...
Please refer to the DIY section for further assistance...

Old 12-31-2009, 09:32 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrysback
Tech 23.

Thanks
Kerry
Primary fluid is put in the opening of the derby cover and bike must be level or it will not take the full amount. The other plug at the top of trans on the 6 speed cover side is the trans fill that you mentioned.
Ron

Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Everyone of these drain holes mentioned in here are not under any serious fluid pressure, well....slight in some cases maybe, but the vent lines and systems take care of that. I must be one of the extremely lucky people out here, but I have never in over 25-years had to replace an o-ring on any oil or tranny drain plug. Had to get a guy an oversize drain plug once, but that was because he stripped the threads out of the oil pan. Same thing with the old-style primary drain plug. If a guy wants too....he can just keep on tightening that NPT plug right up in through the case, or apply some Teflon tape and stop it when it gets snug and well before he brakes his wrench. When you remove those plugs, clean the area around the drain-hole to remove any sand or debris and do the same to the drain plug and o-ring and you will likely never have a problem.

Harley would love to just keep on selling 0-rings at $1 a pop. They also love to sell you those little stepless ear-clamps for a buck-or-so each too, or you can go down to Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase a bag full of those same clamps in stainless steel for a couple of bucks.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
There's two types of plugs, depending on the years. The tapered pipe plugs that people use sealant or teflon tape to seal the threads with and the newer o ring style that needs no sealant since the o-ring does all the sealing.
Actually 3 types of plugs! The tapered one with no o-ring that ended I believe in 03, the 04-06 plug that takes the little brown o-ring and then the 07 and later that takes the 11105 o-ring.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:51 AM
WindJammer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a torque wrench.

As stated, make sure bike is level - it is impossible to overfill the primary through the clutch inspection cover.

An impact driver ($20) is extremely useful to remove the T27 Torx screws (get the proper tool/bit).

Old 01-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by WindJammer
Use a torque wrench.

As stated, make sure bike is level - it is impossible to overfill the primary through the clutch inspection cover.

An impact driver ($20) is extremely useful to remove the T27 Torx screws (get the proper tool/bit).
Yes, YOU CAN OVERFILL THE PRIMARY.... It can take about 2 quarts, if you are not careful...