Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

curious about clutch hub wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts
Question curious about clutch hub wobble

I had a problem with a warped clutch hub on my bike (2006 fatboy) last year. I replaced it last spring when I measured .025 TIR on the ring gear. Now, my bike has a vibe again, and I'm trying to track it down. I've measured .01 TIR on the ring gear now (with all clutches installed). Is that enough to cause a significant vibe? Is there a spec for this measurement? At the time it didn't seem like too much to me, but now I'm starting to wonder. I wish I had checked the shaft without the hub also, but I did not. I checked the clutch hub bearing, and it seemed fine.

What could cause this? With the first one, I assumed it had something to do with the way I loosened the comp nut when I replaced a rotor and stator just before. This time, I don't know what caused it. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you have a service manual? Not sure if it gives a spec for min/max runout but it should. If you shaft has a bend or even a high/low side on it that will add to TIR. No way to know without measuring it because you can't see it. It is possible that the bad clutch hub damaged the shaft if you ran it for a long time.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:01 AM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

My clutch assembly has a wobble to it too. I noticed it a few weeks ago when I took the primary assembly apart to find out why my bike didn't move when I let the clutch out. It turns out that the transmission sprocket (pulley) that drives the belt (rear wheel) was wasted. The splines; which mate with the transmission main shaft splines had worn down to plateaus and was spnning on the transmission main shaft. This was the stock transmission sprocket that I put on my SE 6 speed, four years ago.

Now I have another problem; the new transmission sprocket that I put on the main shaft last night is a loose wobbly fit. The main shaft splines look intact but may not be.

I have to call the MOCO today.