Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Terrible Clutch Pull - Hydraulic actuation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Terrible Clutch Pull - Hydraulic actuation?

Well I'm hoping to lighten the cluch pull, and am curious how to swap over to hydraulic? is it possible?

The 120R required an upgraded clutch. I went Riveria Primo with Gold Springs. There isnt any clutch slippage, and I have 132 HP, 131 ft-lb. I did a motorcycle course this past weekend, and crikey my left hand [and forarm] hurt.

I appreciate any help.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 AM
oldwildwally
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW 132 HP ? ...Wait a minute ...is that Canadian HP ? like metric? LOL kidding ...
....Yes there are hyd clutch handles available There was one for sale down here on craigs list just recent .... I haven't installed one but the set up looked like a straight swap for the tranny cover ....
BUT ....I have installed a gear driven clutch lever that still uses old cable ..it looks like a standerd lever with a box the size of a small thin master cyl attached ..it works by gear reduction ...I installed it on a soft tail classic for a handicapped rider and it worked great for him ..he was able to pull in the clutch and hold it as long as needed ...
132HP ? I thought I was doing ok with 108 HP 113 T ....I have the se high performance clutch and even that gets tiring in traffic ...but improved greatly when I replaced the clutch cable ...
and you did a course with this beast ....better man than me !!!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

In my experience, the hydraulic clutch will help "a little", but nothing close to the percentages claimed and some of them will not lift a heavy clutch.

If you had a stock set-up, the AIM VPC would do the trick, but I do not know what they they can do with the aftermarket clutch you have. I would Google it up and see. Search "AIM VPC" and you should find the website. These people have developed soft-pull devices for the drag-world with humongous clutch pulls. Go there and see what you can find. The gear-driven devices I have tried have not worked that well, but I won't take issue with the success wildwally says he had above.

The AIM Variable Pressure Clutch device is in thousands of bikes all over the country. Try searching the site out and see what they have that could help you. If you go to a hydraulic clutch...DO NOT try the stick HD clutch. It is marginal at best and is not designed to lift heavy clutches. Other folks say they have used them with success, but I have never been able to get the HD hydraulic clutch to lift the SE race clutch enough to make it useable.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

subscribed

Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Aim Tamachi VPC

Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

+1 on the Aim VPC; their stage 2 unit would probably work for your application; if not, the stage 3. Run one on each of my bikes, neither has 132TQ but the stock clutch with the SE spring won't hold either of them. Nice reduction in lever pull; AIM claims 40% but that's stage 1; upper stages require progressively stronger springs but I would guess you would experience 25% reduction in lever pull.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I really envy your numbers! My bike has smaller numbers, but a beefed up clutch and I also have looked at ways of reducing effort at the lever. I used a Clutchlite device for a while, but on my Evo it stole too much clutch travel and was difficult to adjust to get rid of clutch drag. Your bike has a better clutch action than mine, so it might be worth trying one of them, they are not expensive.

The solution I recently fitted is a Diamondback cable, which has reduced friction and has improved things for me. We recently did a European tour of close to 3k miles with complete success! So I suggest that as a start point, followed by a Clutchlite.