Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Chrome Inner Primary Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Chrome Inner Primary Swap

Guys, I know this has to have been discussed in here somewhere but can't seem to find it... I'm looking for friendly advice from someone who has done this themselves with success. Success meaning no after problems, leaks, etc.

2009 Ultra...
I'm looking at swapping my inner primary for the chrome HD model. I've got the manual, some mechanical aptitude, plenty of tools, etc. I did (last year) install my own cams, adjustable pushrods, and with the help of Mr Wizard, a full tune with TTS Mastertune...

Are there any caveats to doing this myself that I should be on the lookout for? I know about the drive lock tool (or some modification of it)..

I just don't want to get involved with this and find out I need some special tool after I've got it apart in the garage that I don't have and be stuck waiting on a tool or part.

While I'm doing this, is there anything else suggested that I should change while I'm in there?

Thanks Ultra

Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Forgot to mention the bike has 20k miles on it also.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 1,725 Posts

I would change the comp to the SE comp whilst in there.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

dawg, there was some talk mid last year about a newer model of the SE comp that didn't have the oil groove issues.. do you know anything about that? I read a post in another forum but the damn thing has my head spinning. do you happen to know what part number that newer SE comp is, or did they ever release it to the public?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:21 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Be careful installing the inner primary; very easy to knick the seal on the trans mainshaft. You will know it if you do, it wlll leak. Replace the rubber sealed bolts, don't re-use the old ones. Assume you will install new inner primary bearing and seal in the new primary??

There is an updated PN for the SE comp; I think the PN is the same as the original but with an A suffix; not sure. A photo of the old/new is atached; the A part is on the left. It appears that there were two reasons for the change; ease of manufaturing and ease of assembly. I understand there were more than a few issues with the fiber washer slipping out of place during the assembly processs (both at the factory and at dealerships), as the washer only rides on a very small lip in the old version on the right. It rides on a full long shouldered diameter in the new "A" version on the left. I'm not seeing a functional improvement - only a manufacturing and assembly improvement. These changes have nothing to do with the oil groove issues.

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Inner Primary Swap-se-compensator_upgrade.jpg