Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

S&S gear driven cams for TC's

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 11:20 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default S&S gear driven cams for TC's

Hi,

I picked my bike up yesterday from the delaership, where I had the mechanic install the S&S gear drive cam conversion kit and a set of S&S cams. I went with the "510G" cam grind, which is the largest bolt-in cam you can put in the motor, without having to relieve some material inside the case, as well as upgrade your valvesprings, etc.

The gears are straight cut, which means there is a whine. you can hear it at idle and when your downshifting coming up to a stop, but is not really loud, just enough to sound good......

This is insurance against the dreaded cam follower failure, and as a bonus, you gain more accurate timing, and an increase in power due to the aftermarket grinds that are available are all stronger than the stock cams.[&:]

at 65 MHP, I can roll on the throttle, count to 3 and I'm at 80 mph! These cams come on strong at 3,000rpm, which might be too high for some, but since I have the gear down kit, and my bike is a lightened up Superglide, they work perfect for me!!! Feels like I downshifted when I just roll on the throttle!![8D]

Good way to go!!!!!! Also a good time to throw in the HB 125 Automatic primary chain adjuster. easy install and never have to adjust primary chain tension again!!!

joe

Old 11-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Hugo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: S&S gear driven cams for TC's

Joe..What is the cost for the auto chain adjuster? Thanks

Old 11-21-2005, 01:27 AM
Hog_fever
Road Captain

Sounds like a great set-up! I would like to know what the gear driven cams cost, (parts and labor) if you don't mind me asking. Thanks...

Old 11-21-2005, 01:34 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,772 Likes on 779 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hog_fever

Sounds like a great set-up! I would like to know what the gear driven cams cost, (parts and labor) if you don't mind me asking. Thanks...
I just priced this exact setup at my local dealer, and the price came in at around $1500.00 Canadian, taxes in, installed and tuned (including a set of adjustable pushrods). I decided to wait until next year as there are other mods I had planned for the winter and that just exceeds my budget.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-21-2005, 09:06 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

Auto chain adjuster, HB125 through www.hoghollow.com, $96.00 delivered to the door.

S&S cams and gear drive conversion kit $705.00

Labor to install both the cams and chain adjuster $450.00

joe

Old 11-22-2005, 01:18 AM
Hog_fever
Road Captain

Thanks Traveler and Clammy,
I figured it was going to be pricey, but hey, isn't everything. Definetly a wise investment though.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:04 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

I forgot to mention that your bike will need to be tuned......if you have EFI, this is expensive!!!! You have to have a tuner, and if you want, dyno time to get her "right on". I have my Power Commander, and right now it's good enough for awhile, as the shop is going to get one of their guys school trained, then I'll need it fine tuned some more to get her perfect!! She sure runs strong now.....and the more I think about it, the more I can't see ever going bigger than a 95, and keep my "510G" cams. I'm willing to trade a little power for reliability. Big, overcammed motors tend to overheat, are very tempermental, and are hard to ride in traffic, etc. as they always want to go "full bore" everywhere you ride. In the future I might have my heads worked on a little and maybe put in some domed pistons. The most I might do ( if I want to spend ALOT of $$$$) would be to keep my cams of course, and go with some Screamin' Eagle HTCC 95" pistons and cylinders, and the Screamin' Eagle HTCC C-N-C ported heads, with a 50mm throttle body and a real good dyno tune.

Let's Ride!!!

joe

Old 12-09-2005, 05:44 PM
harley#2
2nd Gear

I have my 06 electraglide in the shop right now. I'm having the s&s 95in kit put in and the s&s 510g cams.it will ready for pick up on the 16 cant wait.....

Old 12-10-2005, 08:55 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

gear down kit and pressure plate................

joe
[&:]