Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

HD Leather Jackets: Worth the Bucks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RK El Guapo
The thing is that nearly everything that Harley sells is severely overpriced. I once laughed about how HD stands for "Hundred Dollar", instead of Harley Davidson. Why are they so overpriced? Because their new customer base is primarily comprised of very upper-middle class professionals with lots of disposable income.

What is the down to earth HD fan's saving grace? Military vets with deployment money, ready to spend. There are no shoppers like a lower enlisted service member fresh home from a year-plus long deployment. They have loads of cash to spend, and they're looking for a break from all the crap the military gives them day in and day out.

They will buy bikes and spend lots to customize the bikes, but the rest of the dough will go to good, cheap gear, beer, booze, and gas.

So, to wrap it up? Lots of riders split HD owners up into categories. Those who play biker on weekends (buy tons of branded gear), those who want to be bikers(buy toughguy outfits and hang out in the biker bars, hoping to be noticed), those who are bikers(who have their own brand to wear), and those who just ride for the love of it(who buy what they like, regardless of brand).
That is an interesting point of view but that doesn't answer my question really :-)

What I was referring to is this "Oh God you are wearing an HD jacket, what's up with that dude?"

Well I guess the answer is in part in your last paragraph. For some peole who buy HD motor clothes its maybe just practical to buy your jacket right on the spot where you bought your bike...

Old 06-04-2010, 06:40 AM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voony
That is an interesting point of view but that doesn't answer my question really :-)

What I was referring to is this "Oh God you are wearing an HD jacket, what's up with that dude?"

Well I guess the answer is in part in your last paragraph. For some peole who buy HD motor clothes its maybe just practical to buy your jacket right on the spot where you bought your bike...
Sorry, I got a lil verbose on ya there. The reason so many people have that reaction is due to the overpriced nature of HD's motorclothes. Some equate wearing HD branded leathers to a lack of individual thought. (another topic related to this issue is the "Poser" topic. For good laughs, read it!)

It is far easier to simply load up your basket while you're at the MOCO, but you end up spending 2 - 3 times the amount you would shopping nearly anywhere else for the same quality gear. On top of this, very little of HD's motorclothes are made in the USA. It's tough to find, but there are leathers still made here at home.

I couldn't care less what people think. I buy what fits, works well, and what I like. If they fall into the "cool" category, great. If not, I couldn't give a shined turd less.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

I gotcha your point. Hey as long as we all are happy with what we ride and wear :-)

Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The other point of view is, why is there always someone that is constantly criticizing what others are doing? If there is something wrong with buying H-D leather products because they are not American made, then we shouldn't be buy H-D accessories for our scoots for the same reason.

I buy HD apparel because I believe in supporting the product. When I no longer like H-D products, I will no longer be riding a Harley. I will do everything I can to keep from buying after market junk. The only accessories on my Ultra Classic that's not H-D brand are the air horns. That's because the H-D air horn I had were garbage.

If we are making comparison between HD leather products and other brands based on value for the purchase price, that's another issue all together.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikes
The other point of view is, why is there always someone that is constantly criticizing what others are doing? If there is something wrong with buying H-D leather products because they are not American made, then we shouldn't be buy H-D accessories for our scoots for the same reason.

I buy HD apparel because I believe in supporting the product. When I no longer like H-D products, I will no longer be riding a Harley. I will do everything I can to keep from buying after market junk. The only accessories on my Ultra Classic that's not H-D brand are the air horns. That's because the H-D air horn I had were garbage.

If we are making comparison between HD leather products and other brands based on value for the purchase price, that's another issue all together.
I am a proud HD rider, and I happily support the company in any way I can, except when purchasing products from the company that I feel are overpriced for the value received. One thing that is becoming a growing concern to me personally was born from a rumor that I have read repeatedly across numerous forums. This is that while HD's are ASSEMBLED in our great nation, a large percentage of the actual parts used in construction originate outside of the USA. I have read of percentages as high as 70%. Now, I do not have any proof to cite on this, and I would love to get to the bottom of this. I do my best to only buy American-made products when possible. I even tried arguing supporting Ford, until I found that a new Pontiac Vibe/Toyota matrix is manufactured at home, whereas the majority of Ford products are built OCONUS. Not very long ago, Ford shut down their F-series plant here in Hampton Roads, and shipped the whole bloody thing to Mexico. This killed a huge part of the local economy. So to that, I say screw 'em.

I support HD because of more than the image. It has to do with the culture of defending your own. Your Home. Your family. I fought to defend my family, the Red, White, and Blue one. Voting with the wallet is difficult, especially in crappy economic periods. My main way of making sure I do this is supporting my local independent garages, and true American manufacturers. When I purchase raw leather, I go to a leather shop in Tennessee that works with locally-grown livestock. The leather is then cut, worked, and tooled by local leathersmiths, and then sold to me, a local buyer. The money stays in America, as even they fight to support American-made products.

We can't compete in electronics, and quickly we are becoming unable to compete in vehicles and even clothing. However, specialty goods can still be had from American manufacturers and vendors. Just like your local farm market, get to know your artisan. You'll be amazed at the quality you get when you make that relationship with your source.

Again, to properly temper this argument, I do own and use many foreign-made products, including my FXRG jacket. I don't say to not buy non-American, but rather to do so knowingly, and ask to attempt to purchase True American when possible.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wear a Hein Gericke and the jacket is awesome. My problem with HD jackets is they think they need to have big *** embroidered crap all over them.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Pager3
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did love the Harley jacket I purchased in January 2010 for $350 but the zipper broke on a ride last weekend and I was literally stuck in the jacket until I found a hardware store. The zipper has a locking mechanism to keep it from inadvertently unzipping. The dealers solution was the $3.99 HD zipper pull they sold me.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
RevMatt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Great thread and...

Originally Posted by Voony

I support H-D!! If buying H-D gear helps them stay in business, I am for it! I would willingly pay another 20% if the gear were made in the USA! I am a bit unnerved buying H-D stuff that is made in commy and terrorist countries! I use some H-D gear and, mostly, non-H-D gear.
GILLIGAF

Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior

Well.........in a word - NO. Lots of other companies that have better or at least equally good products. About 5 years ago I decided I would stop buying HD t-shirts as they were overpriced. The 2 shirts the dealer give me when I bought my new bike were so cheaply made I told the salesman not to insult me with such a gesture.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:21 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

The HD jackets I've seen seem to be biased toward style and are a little short on functionality (venting and protection). For the money you can do better elsewhere. Personally I like perforated leather for more comfort in hotter weather. IMHO armor in shoulders, back and elbows is definitely worth it if you crash and you don't feel it or see it in the jacket

Check out
FirstGear - only make one model of cruiser jacket
Scorpion - cheap and decent cruiser and sport bike jackets
Rev'It - great price and quality, highly recommend checking out - make cruiser and sport bike jackets
Teiz - cheap price, mid level quality
AlpineStars - mid price, decent quality
RS Taichi - great price and quality although only make 1 model for cruisers, mostly sport bike jackets
Shift - cruiser and sport bike jackets

Also consider higher end textile jackets ($300-$500) as they will have similar levels of protection (due to better materials like Cordura instead of nylon on polyester) to leather but be more versatile and comfortable (Olympia, Rev'It)

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-22-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: HD Leather Jackets: Worth the Bucks?