Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

HD Leather Jackets: Worth the Bucks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:28 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Personally I think textile gear is superior to leather - at least for touring and commuting use. Better quality Cordura, Kevlar & Polyidimyd gear has the abrasion resistance that cheaper nylon and polyester gear lacks. On the downside it'll cost the same or more as a decent quality leather jacket ($400+ range). 1000 denier Dupont Cordura has the same abrasion rating as the 1.3mm leather found in most leather jackets. The advantage of the better quality textile gear on the market is greater comfort range and versatility weather wise compared to leather.

My Olympia jacket is comfy from 90F (with vent panels open) to 30F (vents closed and included insulating liner installed and base fleece layer) although I think the camel back system is a bit of a gimmick and don't use it. It's also water proof. If I get chilled or too warm on a ride, I just pull over and adjust the vents. With the CE armor in the arms and back and 2000 denier Cordura on the strike points, I believe it will perform as well or better than most leather jackets in a crash. If you like the look of leather check out leather/textile combination jackets. Advrider.com has a lot of good gear reviews.
In terms of abrasion resistance, its close - but not QUITE as good as good leather. The biggest advantage is it breathes a hell of a lot better.

Considering the type of riding we do on an HD, either leather or textile is fine. You're not going to generate the speeds necessary to slide the distances you would have to slide to destroy leather or textile. Our biggest worry in an accident is impact damage.

Camelbacks are nice when you're on a distance ride in the middle of summer, but I've always seen them more as a good way to carry liquid when you're stuck in traffic - otherwise, just pull over and grab a bottle from the bags...

Old 04-27-2011, 08:10 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Well here is my opinion of the hd motorcycle jackets
In feb 2007 I bought a HD motorcycle jacket.
It is just like the jacket that John Travolta wore in
the movie Wild Hogs but i had my jacket first had I
seen the movie first I would have never bought the jacket.
It was made in Mexico, that part I liked. First one then the
other sleve cuff zipper went to hell, now the main zipper
is starting to go the same place as the other two zippers
went. Also the threads that holds the jacket together are
comming un sewn all within four years. My next jacket
damn well won't be a harley davidson jacket, you can bet
your last doller on that!!!!!

Last edited by 6 gun; 04-27-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought the OL and myself a FXRG jacket in 06, put lexol on it a couple time a year.
Have beeen in the rain with it many times.
Put Tri Flow spray on the zipper about 2 times a year.
If you look at the jacket rigft now, its in as good of shape as it was when I bought it.

A lot of the life in jackets is how well they are taken care of.
If you don't keep them clean, or put perserative on the jacket and lub a zipper every now and then it won't last as long.
My jacket before that I had for over 25 yrs. Put on weight and gave it to my son who still has it.

Got many friends with HD jackets that has very good luck too.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,656 Likes on 5,191 Posts

If you get them on a good sale maybe other wise no made in China.
http://www.foxcreekleather.com/
US made life time Guarantee and priced right hard to beat.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Huckster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had non- Harley jackets in the past only to sell them shortly after. They were stiff hard and heavy. I know the Harley jackets are expensive so I found a GREAT deal on EBay.
$400.00+ jacket for $150.00! Got to shop around. The HD jacket was very nice feeling, softer and just fit like a glove. Almost didn't want to take it off. And very cool looking too.
You get what you want to pay for....

Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM
rhythm1978
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I just received my Fox Creek jacket in the mail. I wore it all weekend. This thing is really comfortable and of extreme high quality. I have always bought cheap, no-name jackets made wherever.

I have only rode in it for the weekend, so I cannot give a review of how it will hold up. But this thing seems like it'll be around for a long time. And if not, it has a lifetime guarantee.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 642 Likes on 282 Posts

I ordered a Harley Detonator jacket from my dealer, and it came in today. I picked it up first thing, brought it home, and immediately went out for a ride in it.

Before I give a review, I want to say that I own a Schott 626. Before today, it was the one and only leather jacket I've ever owned. It's perfect in almost every way. The only issue with it? I can't actually ride in it. It is very form fitting, the sleeves ride up too much on my arms while gripping the bars (I ride a 48), and I get too hot wearing it on my bike, even in cold weather.

So, the Detonator... I hit a home run with this one. It's perfect. I'm 5' 7" / 145 lbs., and a Medium fit perfectly. It's distressed leather, so it already feels broken in. It looks fantastic: the surface dye they put on it does make it look old and the patches are awesome. If you didn't know any better, you'd swear they were hand stitched on there.

It's triple vented, and it totally did it's job today. It's about 50 out right now, kind of cloudy. After 10 minutes of riding, I opened up two of the vents on the front and it worked like a charm. It doesn't have a removable lining. It's all polyester inside, not fleece or anything. But if I were riding when it was really cold I feel pretty confident that a hoodie underneath it would be just fine.

Lots of pockets to hold stuff, and there are armor patches on the elbows. I just got it, so we'll have to see how it holds up. But I looked this thing over thoroughly, and it looks and feels like it is made very well.

All in all, a really fantastic jacket. My dealer carries a ton of different ones, and this is the only one I really liked. When you compare it to the cost of, say, a Schott 626, it was a total steal, IMO.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:30 PM
AGSURFR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Bought a used one from another user on here. Yes it is made in China. But I was pleasantly surprised on the weight of the leather. Used a good leather conditioner on it. Brought back the color to an even darker shade. It is now my favorite leather jacket.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

I may have answered this post but seems some folks are bent on made in the USA. So am I but you get what you get. I have three newer American cars with lots of foreign parts. Where are batteries and tire tubes and radiator hoses and springs on the trunk lid made? Obscure parts but never the less foreign made? You don't expect an American vehicle to be built with foreign parts at all but they are. Are you advertising for HD? Answer is yes. I think the smartest thing HD did for themselves is make us want to wear branded clothing. So yes, we are paying to advertise for HD. But it isn't the first lap around the track. It has been going on for a long time. How many Suzuki leathers do you see? I just bought a new HD leather with a made in China tag. Guess what, It's well made and designed and I have been riding in 35 degree weather wearing it and I am still happy.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:10 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Todays economy says we are a global trade.
The EPA and insurance companies has made a lot of companies leave the U.S.
And the Union labor. Something had to be done to compete in the U.S.
Everything is not made here anymore. Its hard to buy everything made here. And if you do, its gonna cost too much. Even your Harley is not all made in the U.S.
Get over it.
I have a FXRG jacket I bought for the OL and me years ago. It has zippers that lets air in. And it has a gortex liner that makes it water proof. And it has a liner in the jacket.
It is very comfortable to wear. Wind does not blow up the sleeves . I clean it with saddle soap once a year. and wipe it off real good and put Lexol paste on it, to preserve it.
It looks like brand new to this day. Same thing with the Vest I bought from HD years ago.
It was like 650 or 700 when I bought it. When I ride, it is worth every penny I paid for it.
I will not take it off and lay it down and not take my eyes off of it.
Because I know somebody will pick it up and try to walk off with it.

Congrats on your jacket. Enjoy it.

Quick Reply: HD Leather Jackets: Worth the Bucks?