Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

NO where to go!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 10:28 AM
David Balconi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO where to go!!

My kids went to their mothers for theweekend it was the first time in several months. I made them go. It was thesummer of 2010, in the middle of a divorce that took five years, lots of tears,broken hearts, an uncertain future for all of us, some time in jail and ultimatelya new life. While trying to figure out how to deal with two teenage daughtersand what tomorrow would bring I found my way to Bald Eagle Harley, inMarquette, MI. I wandered in for no reason, just to see what was in the store,as I had driven by hundreds of times. I had nothing to do and nowhere to go.
Nothing in here but bikes and bikers I thought! A tall guycame over and asked what I was looking for and I wanted to say my life back,but I said I’m not sure. He said take a look around and if you need anythinglet me know. I didn’t know a Sporty from an Ultra Classic but found myselflooking at a black Road King with leather bags. It was huge compared to myYamaha TW200 that I would ride with my daughter on occasion. I left the store quietlyand escaped back to an empty house that once was filled with kids, friends andlaughter. Funny how people evaporate from your life in an instant and you findyourself alone. Little did I know the black Road King would fill countlesshours of idle time and be a part of my life with new great friends.
The next morning I woke and thought what am I going to dotoday!!!!!I Soon I recalled the mystery and presence the black Road King had onme when I sat on it. I called my buddy Tom and asked him how to buy a Harley. “Justpay what they want and get on and ride” Tom said. Tom and Jere had bikes and had ridden them toour house a few times and had taken the kids on rides around the block. Theytold us of places they had been, biker friends, freedom of riding, and of theHarley family that you meet on the road. It sounded fun and had my interest butuntil you ride there is no way to actually describe the FREEDOM of riding.
The Harley dealership was buzzing by time I gotthere and the tall guy came over when I walked in and said “Your back”, I said “I’lltake the Road King.”

Old 09-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by David Balconi
My kids went to their mothers for theweekend it was the first time in several months. I made them go. It was thesummer of 2010, in the middle of a divorce that took five years, lots of tears,broken hearts, an uncertain future for all of us, some time in jail and ultimatelya new life. While trying to figure out how to deal with two teenage daughtersand what tomorrow would bring I found my way to Bald Eagle Harley, inMarquette, MI. I wandered in for no reason, just to see what was in the store,as I had driven by hundreds of times. I had nothing to do and nowhere to go.
Nothing in here but bikes and bikers I thought! A tall guycame over and asked what I was looking for and I wanted to say my life back,but I said I’m not sure. He said take a look around and if you need anythinglet me know. I didn’t know a Sporty from an Ultra Classic but found myselflooking at a black Road King with leather bags. It was huge compared to myYamaha TW200 that I would ride with my daughter on occasion. I left the store quietlyand escaped back to an empty house that once was filled with kids, friends andlaughter. Funny how people evaporate from your life in an instant and you findyourself alone. Little did I know the black Road King would fill countlesshours of idle time and be a part of my life with new great friends.
The next morning I woke and thought what am I going to dotoday!!!!!I Soon I recalled the mystery and presence the black Road King had onme when I sat on it. I called my buddy Tom and asked him how to buy a Harley. “Justpay what they want and get on and ride” Tom said. Tom and Jere had bikes and had ridden them toour house a few times and had taken the kids on rides around the block. Theytold us of places they had been, biker friends, freedom of riding, and of theHarley family that you meet on the road. It sounded fun and had my interest butuntil you ride there is no way to actually describe the FREEDOM of riding.
The Harley dealership was buzzing by time I gotthere and the tall guy came over when I walked in and said “Your back”, I said “I’lltake the Road King.”
Great story. I understand the feeling in some ways. Enjoy the ride...and enjoy the journey...
and whatever you do....enjoy what God has created....it is amazing

Old 09-29-2015, 12:31 PM
David Balconi
1st Gear
Default Thanks for reading

Thanks for the phrase can I use it!!! That says it all and in just a few words.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Since I've got back on a bike I've thought many times of how different mine and my kids lives would have been if I'd have traded that truck for the Heritage back when they were little.
I'm glad I didn't back then but I'm sure glad I got back on when they were grown up.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:52 PM
David Balconi
1st Gear
Default Kids

Your right your life would have been different. No place for the kids to ride. LOL When my youngest graduated from high school four years later I bought her a 1200 Sporty kidded with Willi G. She needed to ride for a since of self and time to figure out who she was and where she wanted to go. She called my Saturday night after she jointed the MSU wakeboard team on Tuesday and told me she took third place...Hmmm maybe building a self esteem with a Harley isn't such a bad thing. RIDE ON

Old 09-29-2015, 02:55 PM
David Balconi
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Roadblock_MN
Great story. I understand the feeling in some ways. Enjoy the ride...and enjoy the journey...
and whatever you do....enjoy what God has created....it is amazing

I like the black out did something similar on the new street glide

Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master

Originally Posted by David Balconi
I like the black out did something similar on the new street glide
Thank you. I am not a fan of chrome...I left some just as an accent as chrome is supposed to be

Old 10-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Visago
Cruiser

Nice story and I can completely relate. Got a divorce about a year and a half ago and it was just like that. I retained the house and almost would have rather of let it go. You'd come home used to the hustle & bustle of family life and then all of a sudden you're all alone with just the fresh memories. Can be a maddening experience. I sold my bike when we first built our house just to keep our bills down. Always missed it. Then right after my divorce a co-worker bought a used Night Train. Went out to take a look at his and that was all it took lol. Found myself wandering around the dealerships again and next thing you know a Fatboy Lo ended up in my garage. Been the absolute best experience. Not to wear out the old saying but riding is therapy. And I've met new friends and have a girlfriend that loves to ride so everything has turned around. We have already had some memorable rides.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:08 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Yup, I could relate to your story. Been through a very bitter divorce which left me absolutely nothing. Been in Jail for 35 days (Attempted Murder and Arson). Probation for 5 years under Electronic Home Confinement.

Ex took it all. My dad's will, Our house, and moved our kids away to Florida from me. I hit rock bottom hard. Didn't work for 3 years due to Depression. Suicide always on my mind. Until....

Close friend of mine who happen to be very filthy rich, went through divorce himself a year later, jumped in and said, "Come on, Thorey !...Let's start rebuilding our lives." I didn't know where to begin.

He drove me over to several HD Dealerships on a Saturday and slowly introduced me to Harleys. He even took me to Daytona Bike Week to watch how others are enjoying their rides and partying times. I started to feel alive again after 3 years of living in shithole. He bought himself a Fat Boy and me a Sporty XL1200 Custom. We started riding every weekend together.

Since '02, I felt in love with riding my Harleys, worked my way up from Sporty to RKC to my current '09 Ultra. Created new circles of cool riding friends, been just about everywhere and enjoying Life today again. Am grateful today that I've turned my life around for the better.

Only sad part is that I haven't seen my kids in 6 years due to ex's Parental Alienation Syndrome. I've had enough of her non-sense and cut her abruptly out of my Life even I tried to rebuild our relationship exactly just for our kids to no avail. I just pray that my kids and I will reunite again, make amends together and move on forward someday.

Go on and enjoy your Road King. Things eventually will get better as days, months and years go by. Just smile and say, "I'm going to be OK."

Cheers,

Thorey

P.S. My friend doesn't ride anymore because he remarried and have a son which I happen to be his Godfather. We remain real good friends nowadays. I'm very thankful for this dear friend who helped me by turning my life around.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Yup, I could relate to your story. Been through a very bitter divorce which left me absolutely nothing. Been in Jail for 35 days (Attempted Murder and Arson). Probation for 5 years under Electronic Home Confinement.

Ex took it all. My dad's will, Our house, and moved our kids away to Florida from me. I hit rock bottom hard. Didn't work for 3 years due to Depression. Suicide always on my mind. Until....

Close friend of mine who happen to be very filthy rich, went through divorce himself a year later, jumped in and said, "Come on, Thorey !...Let's start rebuilding our lives." I didn't know where to begin.

He drove me over to several HD Dealerships on a Saturday and slowly introduced me to Harleys. He even took me to Daytona Bike Week to watch how others are enjoying their rides and partying times. I started to feel alive again after 3 years of living in shithole. He bought himself a Fat Boy and me a Sporty XL1200 Custom. We started riding every weekend together.

Since '02, I felt in love with riding my Harleys, worked my way up from Sporty to RKC to my current '09 Ultra. Created new circles of cool riding friends, been just about everywhere and enjoying Life today again. Am grateful today that I've turned my life around for the better.

Only sad part is that I haven't seen my kids in 6 years due to ex's Parental Alienation Syndrome. I've had enough of her non-sense and cut her abruptly out of my Life even I tried to rebuild our relationship exactly just for our kids to no avail. I just pray that my kids and I will reunite again, make amends together and move on forward someday.

Go on and enjoy your Road King. Things eventually will get better as days, months and years go by. Just smile and say, "I'm going to be OK."

Cheers,

Thorey

P.S. My friend doesn't ride anymore because he remarried and have a son which I happen to be his Godfather. We remain real good friends nowadays. I'm very thankful for this dear friend who helped me by turning my life around.
That is awesome Thorey! I am so glad you had someone that looked out for you. There was a time in my life I could have used a friend like that as well...Some of the stories people have...sure are pretty cool and love hearing about them...

Quick Reply: NO where to go!!