Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pennsylvania to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbank
The Dalton Highway was more of an aggravation than anything else, I was ready to turn around at the Yukon river but my buddy convinced me to the Arctic Circle. ll.
Dumped it at the chopper pad just north of Yukon river, Screwing up gf ankle. Offered to take her back. But she said not f'ing up her foot and not going the last 50 miles.

Can't imagine going that far and thinking about stopping.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:45 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default 70 year old riders are the old 50 year old riders

On our way back we met some older guys (70s) on Harleys that were heading to the AC towing trailers, we told them it was not advisable with the trailers but they were convinced they were gonna do it. I just hope all went well.
Take it easy on us "older guys on Harleys". Glad you got there and back safely. Looking back on your trip, woulda/shoulda/coulda you done things slower, smelled the roses more, or was the trip about what you thought it should be. Do you have your route and over night stops. The stops keep me redoing my trip, hopefully in 2019. Don't want to wait until I am an Octogenarian and then having someone saying they saw some ancient decrepit rider on a Harley who appeared to be lost.

Congratulations on Alaska.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:06 AM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

We stopped for an oil change in Fairbanks after coming back down the Dalton. We met a man in his 80s who was riding a BMW R1200GSA. He lived in Los Angeles, had been riding throughout Alaska for a couple of weeks and was also getting an oil change.

From Alaska he was going to ride to Oshkosh, Wisconsin for the EAA air show, then to NYC to visit relatives before riding back home to LA for a few weeks of rest before starting a ride to Florida. He said that he told his adult children that if he dies on the road, they should know that he died happy.

I'm now 69, my wife is 70. We are shooting to be riding in our 80s, God willing.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:19 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

As to the comment about trailers, I don't think they are safe in general on a motorcycle. But guy who left the same time as me pulled one. Lived. Probably noticed it on the bumps.

Met a couple in their 70s. Going back again. Both had Goldwings with the training wheels, both pulling trailers.

Harley has bult a bike that is easier to work on than the other guys. But we still have left hand drive, and belts. Wouldn't be so bad i you could access the belt on the road, like a snowmobile. I believe Vics are easier to change.

They could have done it with the frame change in 09. Some baby boomers will probably tell you if you don't like spending hours changing a belt than Harleys are not for you.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 AM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Take it easy on us "older guys on Harleys". Glad you got there and back safely. Looking back on your trip, woulda/shoulda/coulda you done things slower, smelled the roses more, or was the trip about what you thought it should be. Do you have your route and over night stops. The stops keep me redoing my trip, hopefully in 2019. Don't want to wait until I am an Octogenarian and then having someone saying they saw some ancient decrepit rider on a Harley who appeared to be lost.

Congratulations on Alaska.
Thanks......

Would not have done anything different except make a choice to do another 150 miles late one evening to get to the junction of the Alcan and Cassiar Highway. We fueled up in Teslin and the weather was great and we were feeling good and said lets go, well about an hour into the ride it started to rain and didn't stop until about 2 in the morning. So we rode the rest of the miles in the rain and set up our tent in the rain. We could have had a nice meal, good weather and some frosty beverages if we would have stayed but hey if that is my biggest regret I will take it. The way we did our trip was there were not set destinations until that morning what we would like to accomplish, if the weather and road and nothing exciting to stay and check out we rode (averaged about 500 miles a day) but we were on the road between 6-7 am and took regular rests during the day but also rode to 6-7 in the evening. We are not much for staying in one place very long and doing the tourist trap tours, wildlife doesn't stay still long and views are taken in for a little but after seeing mountains for 10-15 days straight starts to become numb. We enjoyed riding and not having to stop at traffic lights and slower traffic......we just rode and enjoyed the wildlife and scenery. There are some great roads in Canada and Alaska which was the best part of the trip.

As for you "older guys" I didn't mean anything (my buddy is mid 60s) and warned them about how the bumps would toss their trailer around and we used the entire road at times to avoid the bad spots and you also have to pay attention to tractor trailers that were unloaded barreling behind you and passing you whenever they wanted. The service manager at the Harley dealer suggested we do not ride the road and he has never done it, all his riding is south of Fairbanks...why? because the roads are better. He didn't understand why so many people would want to ride that road and now I agree.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks......

Would not have done anything different except make a choice to do another 150 miles late one evening to get to the junction of the Alcan and Cassiar Highway. We fueled up in Teslin and the weather was great and we were feeling good and said lets go, well about an hour into the ride it started to rain and didn't stop until about 2 in the morning. So we rode the rest of the miles in the rain and set up our tent in the rain. We could have had a nice meal, good weather and some frosty beverages if we would have stayed but hey if that is my biggest regret I will take it. The way we did our trip was there were not set destinations until that morning what we would like to accomplish, if the weather and road and nothing exciting to stay and check out we rode (averaged about 500 miles a day) but we were on the road between 6-7 am and took regular rests during the day but also rode to 6-7 in the evening. We are not much for staying in one place very long and doing the tourist trap tours, wildlife doesn't stay still long and views are taken in for a little but after seeing mountains for 10-15 days straight starts to become numb. We enjoyed riding and not having to stop at traffic lights and slower traffic......we just rode and enjoyed the wildlife and scenery. There are some great roads in Canada and Alaska which was the best part of the trip.

As for you "older guys" I didn't mean anything (my buddy is mid 60s) and warned them about how the bumps would toss their trailer around and we used the entire road at times to avoid the bad spots and you also have to pay attention to tractor trailers that were unloaded barreling behind you and passing you whenever they wanted. The service manager at the Harley dealer suggested we do not ride the road and he has never done it, all his riding is south of Fairbanks...why? because the roads are better. He didn't understand why so many people would want to ride that road and now I agree.
My idea of a good night is the soft mattress of a Holiday Inn, a nice glass of wine at 6PM and an early start the next day.
Still working on 2019 for my trip.

Thanks for the updates.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:41 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
My idea of a good night is the soft mattress of a Holiday Inn, a nice glass of wine at 6PM and an early start the next day.
Still working on 2019 for my trip.

Thanks for the updates.
Maybe my next trip will include a soft mattress but the camping pad I had did an amazing job. One thing I would not get caught up in is I have to be at a location, to me this would put added pressure on my trip that would have me not enjoying the trip. It is like my rotopax I carried, I knew I probably did not need it but it sure was nice rolling up to a gas station and wondering is this the place that has water in their tanks? So we would roll on down the road to the next station and sometimes they were not close together.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:49 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

good stuff

Old 07-01-2018, 06:26 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Default Rotopax

Maybe my next trip will include a soft mattress but the camping pad I had did an amazing job. One thing I would not get caught up in is I have to be at a location, to me this would put added pressure on my trip that would have me not enjoying the trip. It is like my rotopax I carried, I knew I probably did not need it but it sure was nice rolling up to a gas station and wondering is this the place that has water in their tanks? So we would roll on down the road to the next station and sometimes they were not close together.
How did you carry the rotopax? How many gallons and if you have a picture of the mounting, would be nice to see. I announced, as you did, to my family that I am going next year, June 15 to ???. Now I just have to get my route figured out.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:13 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25-Gallon...item1c775af07d

If you have an ultra this maybe the one you want.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Gallon-Ro...item2f03aa5bfa

I bought one with an L-bracket and bolted it to my rear rack. I only bought the gallon container as I thought that is all I would have needed. It turns out I never needed it but what it did is allow me to push gas stops. My Harley gps would allow me to search how far the gas stations were, which was invaluable.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania to Alaska