Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis to West Glacier

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Sturgis to West Glacier

Plan to head to Glacier again this year following Sturgis. Last time, I overnighted in Billings after visiting Little Big Horn, and then on to Great Falls, the Lewis and Clark Museum, and then on to East Glacier for the night. Any route recommendations to get to WG and where to overnight on the way? Anything to see or do on the way? I will be headed back south after my visit through Missoula.

Any recommendations would be appreciated?

Old 11-25-2017, 10:42 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

If you’re going to Billings again and haven’t been north on 3 to 12 West to Sulfur Hot Springs then north up 89, I would try that. If you stay in Great Falls try staying at the O’harie motor lodge, the place is a trip, in a good way!

Old 11-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I'd avoid staying on the Rez.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 11-25-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:24 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Plan to head to Glacier again this year following Sturgis. Last time, I overnighted in Billings after visiting Little Big Horn, and then on to Great Falls, the Lewis and Clark Museum, and then on to East Glacier for the night. Any route recommendations to get to WG and where to overnight on the way? Anything to see or do on the way? I will be headed back south after my visit through Missoula.
Any recommendations would be appreciated?
Consider going past East Glacier and Babb up to Waterton Lakes National Park for an overnight, then come back south to ride the Sun Road to West Glacier. That historic Prince of Wales hotel is expensive and may be already booked but several nice smaller places are there in the town of Waterton, AB. Nice little village in the middle of a stunning setting. Or, if going to Canada is an issue the Many Glacier Hotel on Swiftcurrent Lake is another cool, historic hotel.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:16 AM
Grandslam
Road Master

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Consider going past East Glacier and Babb up to Waterton Lakes National Park for an overnight, then come back south to ride the Sun Road to West Glacier. That historic Prince of Wales hotel is expensive and may be already booked but several nice smaller places are there in the town of Waterton, AB. Nice little village in the middle of a stunning setting. Or, if going to Canada is an issue the Many Glacier Hotel on Swiftcurrent Lake is another cool, historic hotel.
Thanks Griz, I have been to both. Only a day trip to Waterton.

I think to get to West Glacier I am going to head west on I90, then 287 to Helena, then 12 to 141 at Avon, then 83 up through Swan Lake.

That route look OK?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:25 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

83 is a nice ride headed towards Seely Lake, loaded a lot of lumber out of there!

Old 11-27-2017, 08:14 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,217 Likes on 8,965 Posts

Get to Sheridan .... then .... Alternate Route 14 to Cody, Chief Joseph & The Beartooth, Red Lodge, over the Little Belt mts through Neihart, 89 From Great Falls to St Mary’s.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:04 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Thanks Griz, I have been to both. Only a day trip to Waterton.

I think to get to West Glacier I am going to head west on I90, then 287 to Helena, then 12 to 141 at Avon, then 83 up through Swan Lake.

That route look OK?
Yes, would be a nice ride. Seems like that state route 141 had a bunch of work done a couple years ago and should be good. If you’re feeling parched or hungry while on the way to the 200/83 junction, Trixi's Antler Saloon near Ovando is a fine stop.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:48 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Get to Sheridan .... then .... Alternate Route 14 to Cody, Chief Joseph & The Beartooth, Red Lodge, over the Little Belt mts through Neihart, 89 From Great Falls to St Mary’s.
What he wrote.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Grandslam
Road Master

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2

I did Cody, Chief Joseph and Beartooth last year for the second time. I am thinking I might come back through Yellowstone for a couple of days. Maybe do them again.

Quick Reply: Sturgis to West Glacier