Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Looking for suggestions on our trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Rodzilla71
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions on our trip

Weather already sucks here in Alberta, and the fires in BC would keep me from going there if it was better. So the wife and I are doing a road trip south. We are trailering the bike to a friends north of Denver. Plan to ride a bit west in to the rockies (weather dependant), maybe zig zag our way over to the million dollar highway, then head south east into New Mexico and over to southern OK and into the Ozarks and back around to Denver. We have about 9-10 days of riding time. If weather is too cool in the rockies to camp then we will likely go further south and east.

Any suggestions of must ride roads in those areas, and also any sights we shouldn't miss. Thanks

Old 09-04-2018, 07:37 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,021 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Utah, go to Utah.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:15 AM
Rodzilla71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Architect
Utah, go to Utah.
I'm a Jeeper as well, spent tons and tons of time in Moab and other areas. Not that I wouldn't enjoy riding there as well, we are just looking for something new. I know the weather there would be right up our alley.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:40 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

I rode Wyoming HW 287 from Rawlins to HW 26 through Dubois and to Moran (wide spot in the road.) Took HW 89 south through Jackson WY. Great roads and some wide open spaces with good scenery. Eventually I ended up south of Salt Lake City near Spanish Fork and rode HW 6 to HW 191 down to I-70 and Green River UT. Those are roads I'd suggest you try if you are in that particular area.

HW 128, which is south of Moab and goes northeast from the southern part of the Arches park, is a good ride. Plenty of scenery and decent roads.

Link to the UT roads noted above.

Link to the WY roads noted above.

Link to HW 128 south of Moab

Last edited by Frank the Real Biker; 09-04-2018 at 10:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rodzilla71 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 01:01 PM
eglide_vt
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Lots of great riding in southern CO and northern NM. Have fun and if camping watch out for them there rattlers. Pretty docile but will scare the crap out of you.

Rodzilla71 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 530 Likes on 291 Posts

You'll probably be disappointed by going East. Ozarks are great riding, but there is a lot of nothing to get there from the West. I agree with previous responses, Utah and Wyoming both offer better riding than eastern N.M. and western OK. The Black Hills are always a nice ride and not too far North of Denver.

Rodzilla71 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 06:06 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Mount Evans, Independence Pass to name a few. I'm heading to Yellowstone then on to the Back Hills Saturday.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:48 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah... crossing the plains can be _______ and after the rockies not sure how exciting Ozarks will be, but, If you do.... Talimena byway. Starts around Talihina, OK area. Nice ridge top drive in very east OK crossing into Mena Ar. East of there, Hot Springs is worth a visit if you like the history, The real gems here are north of that area and north of arkansas river. Several roads up through Clarksville, Ozark, Pig trail is famous but other roads to me are as good. 7 up through Russellville is good, maybe up 7 then turn back west? 215, 103, 16, 123, 23, Eureka Springs I like, old town again with history and ghost stories, neat shopping area. Boxley or other Buffalo River areas are good.

https://www.arkansas.com/directory?f...6#grid-results

Lot of wide open spaces. Watch your tank. 91 octane can be rare in a few areas.
There is a thread on here, 'Arkansas bucket list' covers all kinds of info

Last edited by road king Q; 09-04-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Rodzilla71 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Rodzilla71
Cruiser

I'm very on the fence about heading east from CO, that flat open area isn't appealing, its just going to be weather that might drive us there. If rockies are to chilly to tent camp at night we may need lower elevations. We will see what kind of pace we feel like keeping. Maybe we will end up in Utah and Southern Wyoming yet. I already rode YellowStone and Beartooth pass a couple months ago, was a great ride, minus the Yellowstone traffic.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:01 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodzilla71
I'm very on the fence about heading east from CO, that flat open area isn't appealing, its just going to be weather that might drive us there. If rockies are to chilly to tent camp at night we may need lower elevations. We will see what kind of pace we feel like keeping. Maybe we will end up in Utah and Southern Wyoming yet. I already rode YellowStone and Beartooth pass a couple months ago, was a great ride, minus the Yellowstone traffic.
Don't be afraid to ride into KS or NE as long as you stay off the interstate. I live in KS and have ridden most of the highways at one time or another. The Flint Hills are beautiful if ya ask me! Lots of small towns along the highways, plenty of gas stations, friendly people. No, it's not as majestic as the Grand Canyon or the Rocky Mountains, but it has it's own intrinsic beauty. Pick any of the state highways and you'll find very well maintained roads that are a pleasure to ride. Of course, some are flat and straight...but you can really "haul the mail" on 'em.

Rodzilla71 (09-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestions on our trip