Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road Trip Planning

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:33 PM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Road Trip Planning

wanting to do a nice road trip next summer and head from Missouri to the Smokie Mtns. we were there a few years ago and was a really nice place but we didn't get a lot of time there then.
so we are thinking about taking the bike for a nice long road trip.
when you all plan your road trips do you just ride till your done or follow a planned route.
do you stay off the interstates as much as possible and take more backroad two lanes to the peace and quiet.
this will be the first time I have tried a long trip like this so just looking for some ideas.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:12 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

When I do road trips I stay off interstates as much as I can. I'll stop and go as I feel, about two hours before I am ready to stop for the day I will find some place for the night where I want to stay.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

A lot depends on your schedule, if you don't have one then check the maps and see whats between you and your destination and what you might want to stop and see, make time to wander off and check out backroads that might be interesting or that locals might turn you onto. Make sure you know what events are nearby that both you might want to stop in to, or that might be a problem getting a hotel room because of. Put a good radar trap app on your phone before you go that also has speed cameras on it! Check the tow mileage limit on your insurance and extend it if needed for the trip, call your bank and let them know you will be out of state if you use your atm at all before you go, although I would suggest leaving it at home. If your credit card gets hacked you are covered, no so with most atms.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:16 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

How much time I have is what determines time and route. From St Louis it is two easy days and I never push more the 600 miles in a day unless the next day is a short day one or two hundred miles
if you are doing the smokies look at going north of them doing the snake and jumping on the lower half of the parkway.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Don't know how you plan on coming out of Missouri but if you'll look at a map and you're crossing the river on hwy 412/ I-55, pick up hwy 70 near Huntington Tn and take it all the way to the Smokies. Nice ride that takes a little longer but much much better than taking 1-40. You will have to go though Nashville on 40 for a short distance. 70 on the otherside of Nashville (east) is a fantastic ride unless things have changed in the past 10 years since I did it last.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:09 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Interstates are great for getting from A to B quickly and I'll use them for that but that's all. Having said that there are a few that have some great scenery. For me secondary roads are where it's at.
I have a checklist for stuff I'll want to take. It keeps me from forgetting stuff. One thing I highly recommend is a satellite messaging tool like my SPOT device. If you need help and are out of cell range these can be your best friend.
The advice about limiting your mileage is good advice. I like about 3 - 400 miles per day. This gives me time to stop and take a few pics or visit some interesting stops. Fatigue, dehydration and heat exhaustion can set in on long days and impair your judgement so be careful. Don't ask me how I know this. Remember it ain't a race.
There are several good books out. I've got "The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Travel" by Dale Coyner. I found it very helpful and highly recommend checking out the various books available. Great winter time reading.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:39 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by champ198
wanting to do a nice road trip next summer and head from Missouri to the Smokie Mtns. we were there a few years ago and was a really nice place but we didn't get a lot of time there then.
so we are thinking about taking the bike for a nice long road trip.
when you all plan your road trips do you just ride till your done or follow a planned route.
do you stay off the interstates as much as possible and take more backroad two lanes to the peace and quiet.
this will be the first time I have tried a long trip like this so just looking for some ideas.
It all depends on my schedule and how much time I have as well as what is between myself and my destination. For example when we go to the Smokies I usually blast down the interstate to Cleveland TN for the night and then head into the Smokies on Hwy 64 the next day through NC. My reasons are that between my home in MS and Cleveland TN there is not a lot that I have not seen and if I get that 430 or so miles out of the way on day one then with in a few miles on day two I am in beautiful riding areas. We usually rent a cabin somewhere in the Smokies as our base so that 2nd day can be an all day ride of less than 200 miles just exploring back roads with no real set schedule. Doing this allows us to maximize the amount of time we spend in the Smokies which is the goal riding area of the trip. There has been trips we have made to Sturgis, etc... where there was no real limit on time and we planned on 5 days to make the usual 3 day trip this allowed us to take full advantage of back roads and side trips on the way.

To me it really does not make any difference if I blast down the interstate which allows me to maximize my time at my destination or if I take my time on side roads and maximize the ride to get there, both are enjoyable it just all depends on your time schedule. If I had all the time I wanted on each trip I would likely always take back roads but due to work thats not always the case

Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I've done 2 trips from STL to the Smokies in the last 4 years or so. I used the interstates so get there quickly so I could maximize my time there. The first trip was on my Wide Glide, and I went from STL down to Cape Girardeau and crossed the river there before riding through Cairo and Paducah, I had been through those towns many times as a kid leaving from South East MO on our way to see family in Greenville, TN and VA, so I kind of wanted to go that way. I did this ride in one day as it was about 500ish miles, which is what I typically shoot for (give or take) on my way to a place to ride.

I went back last year on my Street Glide but this time I went west out I64 from STL. I think this was just on a long four day weekend so I left after work on a Friday, missed my turn in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, so just kept going to Indiana and turned south there and stopped in Nashville for the night.

Typically when I'm on a long trip and staying in hotels, I like to put in around 500 mile days. When I'm about an hour or so from feeling I'm done for the day, I'll use the Expedia app on my phone to find a hotel about an hour away book it. That way I'm not on a strictly point A to point B route where I have to plan everything far in advance. If I'm camping, then I typically use a website, (freecampsites.net) and try to have several campsites I may use, mapped out in advance.

Good luck. I had ridden for years before I really started doing long trips. Now long trips are my favorite part of riding.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:33 AM
jrrarr
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a planner. The route is laid out on a Garmin 665, I may deviate from the route but not by much. Usually use the "motorcycle roads" website to find recommended routes in areas where I'm not familiar. Most of my routes are just recommendations from the website strung together to get from point A to B. Always have a hotel room booked in advance, especially if you ride in high tourist areas like the Smokies during peak season. Try to get a nicer B&B wherever possible for the bride. Especially like to stay in National Parks and you normally have to have reservations months in advance. Rarely if ever ride interstates, I live in WI and like to ride in the Smokies, Rockies......you get the picture. I haul to get there (or rent), easier to put in long days in a truck and can share the driving with my spouse. I also have access to a 15 passenger van and the RK fits in the back.

This has worked pretty well where the motorcycle and the road are the vacation. Newish bride is starting to get wise to the game and is inquiring about a little more sightseeing (off the saddle). I'm not opposed to her idea, but it will be part of the plan.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:56 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

All of the above. It depends on what the purpose of the trip is. Sometimes it's nice to hop on an interstate and cover lots of ground quickly especially if I've seen that area in the past or want to spend more time somewhere else.

I usually have a defined route when I leave, however I have been known to turn left instead of right and go off on another direction and re-plan my trip that evening. Especially if I see lots of rain in the forecast for where I am going.

For booking hotels, I tend to book them that day when I know where I plan to stop unless I know I am in an area where rooms will be in short supply or need to be at a specific place. I usually have an idea where I want to stop by lunch time but have waited as long as an hour or so before I plan on stopping. But it's not unheard of for me to decide "I am stopping right here". I'll use a site such as Travelocity to find out availability in an area, what brands are there, and cost, and then book the room directly using that chain's app. I've booked when sitting in the parking lot and then walked in and said I have a reservation and showed them the confirm number. But I don't recommend that for small mom and pop hotels as they may be in bed sleeping

Last edited by cacomly; 11-28-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Trip Planning