Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road Trip Planning

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 12:39 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by cacomly
For booking hotels, I tend to book them that day when I know where I plan to stop unless I know I am in an area where rooms will be in short supply or need to be at a specific place. I usually have an idea where I want to stop by lunch time but have waited as long as an hour or so before I plan on stopping. But it's not unheard of for me to decide "I am stopping right here". I'll use a site such as Travelocity to find out availability in an area, what brands are there, and cost, and then book the room directly using that chain's app. I've booked when sitting in the parking lot and then walked in and said I have a reservation and showed them the confirm number. But I don't recommend that for small mom and pop hotels as they may be in bed sleeping
I got burned in Jackson Hole, trying to find a hotel after riding up from Estes Park, CO. There was some kind of event going on that weekend and I was tired and just wanted a place to stay but all the budget stuff was full. Ended up getting a room for around $250 at the 49'er Inn and booked it a block or so away in the parking lot of a McDonalds. Got to the hotel before the booking had went all the way through their system and coincidentally, a tour bus full of European tourists had just arrived and were getting rooms. They actually gave out the room I had booked so I got an upgraded room but didn't have to pay anymore. The room and hotel were nice but I still was upset I spent that much money for to stay about 10/11 hours. My usual hotel bookings will fall in the range between $60 and $150.

Last edited by Dan28; 11-29-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:36 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

So, I've pretty much gotten this down to a science over the last few years. I have a destination and a general idea of the route, but like to find different ways to get there. If it's a trip where I'm just enjoying the ride, stopping into dealerships, and taking in the views, then I average 50 miles traveled per hour. If I'm just trying to get there, then it's around 60 miles traveled per hour. This is not my actual speed, just the amount of time it takes me to travel those miles, including stops for fuel and food. I average around 10 MPH over the limit when I'm on the road. A lot of people don't like riding the super slab, but it doesn't bother me. If I have time I'll take the scenic back roads, but if the destination is more important, the interstate gets me there faster and I can spend more time exploring my destination. Depending on how I feel, I do around 500-600 miles per day. The most I've done in a day is 869 miles. That was an anomaly though. The weather was perfect, the bike was running great, traffic was light, views were new & beautiful, and the Eagles playlist was set on a loop. Road trips, for me, cost around $250-$300 per day. That's including fuel 3x, food 3x, and hotel for the night. I stay in Hilton branded hotels, with Hampton Inn being my favorite when I'm on trips. They're always clean, include breakfast & laundry facilities, and the staff is very nice. If I wasn't a Hilton Honors member I would also stay in Holiday Inn Expresses.

With all that said, just get on your bike and enjoy the ride. The only way to know how you travel best is to do it often.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:09 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan28
I got burned in Jackson Hole, trying to find a hotel after riding up from Estes Park, CO. There was some kind of event going on that weekend and I was tired and just wanted a place to stay but all the budget stuff was full. Ended up getting a room for around $250 at the 49'er Inn and booked it a block or so away in the parking lot of a McDonalds. Got to the hotel before the booking had went all the way through their system and coincidentally, a tour bus full of European tourists had just arrived and were getting rooms. They actually gave out the room I had booked so I got an upgraded room but didn't have to pay anymore. The room and hotel were nice but I still was upset I spent that much money for to stay about 10/11 hours. My usual hotel bookings will fall in the range between $60 and $150.
Ouch! Those are the areas that I tend to book in advance as there aren't too many options. I have gotten burned when I went in to get my room and was given a smoking room but I had booked a non-smoking room.

As for the time, don't feel bad. While competing in rallies I often only get rooms for 3-4 hours. But my tired body needs a comfy bed to rejuvenate for the next day so I am not paying $60 for a room ...

Old 07-10-2022, 05:41 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done numerous trips over the last 15 years I go with my good friend and nephew. We have done mostly roads. Old rt 66. Great river road. Blue ridge parkway. Dalton hwy. hwy 50. Hwy 30. Amazing my others. When I am certain of the route I will make reservations for every third nite. I figure 300+ per day and then find a town or place around every 900 miles. This alllows me flexibility but also some security. We also camp a lot so camp reservations can be tricky. If we don’t know the route for sure we just go and around 3-4 o’clock start looking for place around 2 hrs out and work backwards from there. I will post later about a really awesome weird story about finding a place to stay.

the lamb chops are ready and gotta eat.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:04 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

I map out a route and overnight stops before the trip but it's subject to change at any time. I avoid interstates when possible. I don't like going more than about 300 miles/day so I find places to stay in that range from day to day. For me, it's about the journey not the destinations. I stop about every hour for butt breaks or more often if there are Kodak moments. I've done 500-600/day a few times and it's not much fun especially when it's hot. My typical cruising speed is 60-65 on open roads. I stopped getting up at the crack of dawn unless it's hot. If I get on the road by 9am and get to the next stop before dark, I'm good.

I seldom book anything in advance except maybe a day before. That creates a schedule and I don't like schedules. I sometimes check ahead to avoid events, rallies, etc., but I've only run into that twice over 14 yrs of riding. I've never had a problem finding a hotel or camping although there were a few times I would call luck.

Since '08 when I bought the Springer, I've been to all of the lower 48 plus BC,AB,ON in Canada and have ridden 122K miles. It's been a heck of a journey! Not much riding the past 2.5 yrs because of the global medical adventure but Epic Journey 2022 will happen in Sept to NM,CO,WY, and MT!

Whatever route you take, enjoy the trip! Cheers!

Old 07-21-2022, 09:00 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,183 Likes on 8,954 Posts

Having an idea where you wanna go is a good idea… But without a doubt the most enjoyable rides I’ve ever had… I just follow my nose and ask myself the question… “I wonder where that road goes?”

Old 07-21-2022, 09:33 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,183 Likes on 8,954 Posts

The question made me ponder one of my better adventures… Vernal mentioned a road I had not been on… So I got on the bike and I went to look for it… It was in Montana south east of Missoula… I found it… Beautiful road… Then I headed towards The Yellowstone… I camped there for a couple of nights… And then headed towards the east side of the park… I got to Highway 191 & 20 and had to make a choice… North towards Cody or the Beartooth… Or south into Wyoming and towards Colorado… I flipped a coin and headed south…

… and ended up on some of the most beautiful roads I’ve ever seen… The funny part of the story is that I always thought the million dollar Highway was below Durango… So I actually went up and over it without even knowing I was on it… After that I just kept on heading south east into New Mexico and ended up on The Plains of San Augustine … That’s where the Very Large Array is… I always wanted to see that… And now I was right in the middle of it… That’s as far away from home as I got on that trip.. and then started heading back towards home in British Columbia… And again just followed my nose all the way home finding different roads.

I have been touring now for over 40 years… And I guess all I can say is don’t overthink it, and always give yourself enough time to stop and smell the roses.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:50 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

take breaks....
I do about every hour. Get off stretch, walk. Maybe only a minute or two. Next hour, gas up. Helps me from getting stiff and uncomfortable

good info here. Have to find what works for you. Maybe a 2 or 3 day shakedown cruise before you do the big one? Help figure out your 'style.'

The following users liked this post:
BigDogIdaho (07-31-2022)