Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:14 AM
DandSPro
Club Member
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Contact “Big Island Harley Davidson Kailua - Kona Hi.

The following users liked this post:
endscuoio (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:46 AM
atl fahrer
Cruiser

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Tiki
I have rented on all the 4 major islands. These are my thoughts rated 1 to 4.

#1 - Maui
I don't understand the draw of it, talk to anyone and the odds are they go to Maui... over and over again and never visit the other islands. This was my favorite place to rent a bike though. Do the Road to Hana, but prepared to do it twice... once on the bike and another in the car where you can stop and jump into the water.

#2 - Big Island
Granted I am a little biased on this one. I am drawn to Kona and could live there in an instant. I also have a friend or two there so I when I rented, I got to ride with friends and stay at their house once the ride was over, grilled some steaks and listened to those DAMN COQUI FROGS ALL NIGHT. Beautiful island though, lots of places to stop and enjoy and a wide range of climates. Last time I rented there, the person that rented before me, left their camera in the saddlebag, so we max'd out their memory card with our trip pictures before sending it back to them. I hope they were amused as we were.

#3 - O'ahu
I liked it. Traffic doesn't bother me too much and traffic really doesn't bother me when visiting Hawai'i. Tantalus Drive is must ride. You get to get go from Seal Level to 2,000 feet and back down again. Someone mentioned going to the North Shore counter clock wise... screw that! go counter clockwise so you got a better view of the ocean and stop at the Shrimp Trucks and Shave Ice shacks.

#4 - Kauai
The Garden Island... the most beautiful in the chain. Truly a Honeymooner destination.... just don't rent a bike there. There is one main road... and its top speed is 50mph. It WILL take an entire day to go from one end to the other and back to where you started. When I rented I asked the guy what's the record mileage on a 24hr rental and he mentioned 200 miles. I told him, "I got this" and left. It was a challenge to break that 200 miles.

General thoughts on any island:
  • If you know you are going into a twisty section of road and you like a "brisk pace". Slow down or pull over and wait for a local to pass and try to follow them. Don't worry, you will know it's a local when they go by.
  • Never use your horn. It's just rude and uncalled for.
  • You may think you are the fastest person on the Road to Hana... until a local passes you on a quad like you are standing still. (personal experience)
  • You will get rained on.
  • Slow down and just enjoy the moment and where you are at.
  • Did you know that there are no interstate highways on the islands of Hawai'i? True fact.
really appreciated the write-up, but, I think you’re a little off with your “true fact”...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_H-1

Old 02-11-2019, 12:38 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by atl fahrer

really appreciated the write-up, but, I think you’re a little off with your “true fact”...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_H-1
Its a "gray" area.... built to Interstate Standards but not truly an Interstate.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 AM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Like others I rented a Road King on the Big Island for 6 days and used it for all transportation, wife and I really enjoyed it, did get rained on quite a bit, we were there in January. Rented it from the Harley Dealer, they were nice folks, heck I dont remember what we paid for it, it was 2004, I remember lots of the riding, no idea on pricing.