Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

INFO Needed on Blue Ridge Mountain Weather

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 AM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All I can say is prepare for rain. Three friends and I bought new bikes in "06" went down there and it rained on and off for the week we were down there.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 AM
hardluk1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to check weather forecast ??? It may darn well rain more in virginia but we have been in a rain shortage for years in the higher elevations. Still any dummy ride'n with out rain gear gets what they should get WET. HEHE

Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Jager
Cruiser

Yes, mid-May is way too early for a comfortable short-sleeves ride on the BRP. As already mentioned, temps up there will be 10-15 degrees than the ambient tempertures below. You'd likely freeze your *** off.

Either plan your trip in July/August or be prepared to wear a jacket and layers most of the time.

And, yes, whenever you come, bring your rain gear.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 PM
07fxdb
Tourer
Default Brp weather

Picked up this old thread to restart.

I am sick of Canadian winter and am heading down this weekend. I rode the BRP and Skyline dr. last April 2008, through fog thicker than I have seen in 20 years on East Coast, and just plain had a hoot.
Could hardly wait to do it again, so returned in September and it was a lot sunnier, and warmer. The most fun a person can have with clothes on.
Did Deals Gap and Tail o the Dragon a couple of weeks ago, and am wondering where to now?

Any suggestions from my friends on the HD Forums is much appreciated.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:08 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

We did the Skyline and the Cerohala Skyway last Sept. Had great weather most of the time, but did run into incredible fog on the Skyway, then a tremdous thunderstorm, you know thunder, lightening the works. Acutally turned around and went back to town.
Just be prepared for at least some rain. I don't believe I have been on a road trip yet that it didn't rain sometime during the week.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:50 AM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We rode last year up around Blue Ridge, Ga and Dahlonega, Ga. Highway 60 is fun as well as US 76 and 64. Heck, any twisty mountain road in North Georgia is fun.

Originally Posted by 07fxdb
Picked up this old thread to restart.

I am sick of Canadian winter and am heading down this weekend. I rode the BRP and Skyline dr. last April 2008, through fog thicker than I have seen in 20 years on East Coast, and just plain had a hoot.
Could hardly wait to do it again, so returned in September and it was a lot sunnier, and warmer. The most fun a person can have with clothes on.
Did Deals Gap and Tail o the Dragon a couple of weeks ago, and am wondering where to now?

Any suggestions from my friends on the HD Forums is much appreciated.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain
Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

If you have been here before and still ask'n where else ,buy a NC atlas and Gazette and just plan side roads with no other purpose in mind except to ride. Too darm many good roads and nice places to stop and take in . Also do contact the stae and ask for a tourist info or even from the counties you are planeing to ride thru. Lots of gem areas where you can find real and worthy gems ,places to pan for gold. Mountain parks to go see that are off the standard ride roads all seem to travel and other roads that will rival the dragon and others the bikers seem to be drawn too. Also visit ( carolinamcevents ) site and see what else you can get into . Many good links there along with everthing mc related. Anytime you come to ride the BR do bring cool weather gear., even in july and august. I live there and it could be in the 80's to day in asheville and 40 at my.mitchell only 1 1/2 hrs away. Ain't know warm weather in parts here. Had the hotest weather in a decade this last summer and did reach almost 90 in some area's around me but still sweatshirt weather in the early am.

Last edited by hardluk1; 03-27-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Me and my wife rode the BRP last June. You will see some pretty cool temps in the mountains of western NC for sure. We had full leather on until we came down below 4,000 feet. Down in the valleys it was in the high 80's!
Most of Virginia was a bit warmer due to the lower elevations, but still not too hot for leather.
We rode the interstates down to Tennessee, rode through on the Dragon to Robbinsville NC where we stayed for a couple days, then took the BRP on the way back home.