Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast Hwy 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:14 PM
riden2low
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default West Coast Hwy 1

If you want to test your riding skills, this is the road to do it on. Took off from Portland OR on a bike I have owned for a few years, 93 fatboy and headed for the Coast. What a beautiful road to travel. You're sort of in and out of the Coast line but very comfortable riding. Lots of other bikers traveling the same Coast line. My trip would end in Fresno CA.where the temp were hanging at 100 or above so the Coast line was the best ideal riding weather. Made it the first leg to Brookings OR. Very laid back town if I should say so. Had breakfast at a small pancake place on the Coast and you talk about a breakfast. For the amount you paid you got twice the amount of food. People wanting to know where you were heading and so forth. Just a real friendly place. Crossed the CA. boarder early that morning and the big Red Woods appeared. Fog coming in off of the Coast and the Sun rays shinning thru the trees. Just like a post card picture. Just unreal. Made our way down to the Land of the Giant Redwoods and did a tour thru the area. Just the biggest trees that you can imagine. Stopped and gave one a big hug. But just a beautiful place to ride thru. Came upon the drive thru tree and yes had to get some pic's of me riding thru the tree. Came to another road stop that had a tree that was estimated to be at least 5000 years old. So our trip thru the land of the Giants ended and got to a small place on Hwy 101 that had a sign saying Hwy 1. Now mind ya it was getting hot already and this detour back to the Coast sounded great. I have been down Hwy 1 years ago in a car and I didn't ever remember this road being this twisted but sure got a rude awaking quick. Now with my girl friend being on her first road trip on the back of my softail and a 100 foot drop to the ocean on one side, meeting other cars coming from the other way, I was having my riding skills tested to the limit. You can see groves in the payment where big motor homes have scrapped just to get around some of these curves. The curves in most cases,you had to down shift to first gear to get around them. Along ride thru that Hwy 1. There would be times the road cut back inland to where you could make up some time but then it went right back to the cliffs along the ocean. Going down one side and you can see the traffic going up the other side. Went thru open range which means there is cattle you had to watch for which a few times had to stop and let a few across. It was getting late and needed to find our next place to stay and the Coastal area was booked. So we left Hwy 1 and headed in land which was a relief as the air got warmer. As we had been riding in 60 degree temps for hours and the cooler air was taking it's toll on us so the warmer air was a blessing. We headed toward San Fransisco. Well, you have to know, coming from Portland OR. we up here ride from 55 to 65 miles per hour, Hwy cruse at 70 but mostly 65. Well, I tell you what, 70 miles an hour is the slow lane in CA. The people down there drive like they are on a mission. WOW Oh yes, coming into Frisco looking for lodging we had to hit it at rush hour so that made it 10 times worst oh plus the girl friend freaking out at the same time, yep had my hands full for sure. Now we don't have toll bridges up here in the Portland area and we found that going into Oakland CA. you had to pay 4.00 dollars to get off of the darn bridge. Yep, getting thru that during rush hour, trying to find you money while on a moving bike, girl friend freaking out, yep, a hand full. Got into our lodging finally and got up early while the next morning while it was still cool and hit the road. Made it into Fresno at 11:00am and it was 90 degrees already. I was born and raised in this place and I remember why I left. THE HEAT!!! My sister has a swimming pool and thats where we lived for a week. Had a great time, good company, food drink, got see all of my relatives but it was time to head home. Wasn't going to go up the Valley, too hot, so it was back to the Coast. Headed for Monterey CA and Carmel by the Sea. As we got closer to the Coast it was time to put on our leathers as what we were hoping for was the cooler weather. We made our way back up the Coast line except this time we were staying off of Hwy 1. Stopped here and there and got back into OR. and yes stayed in Brookings again and had breakfast at the same pancake house. Now looking back, would I do it again ? Sure no problem. Lived my dream of going down Hwy 1, glad I got that out of my system. Would I do trip on a softail, sure but the big bikes are starting to look good tho. It was a great trip and had one great time. I had figured that we must of put 2100 miles on the bike. Cost for fuel? About 180 bucks. If I had driven my truck straight down and back, about 500.00. I think now is why you are starting to see so many bikes on the road now, cheaper to run and you see more of the scenery. But I do know one thing, getting back to Portland OR. the traffic was like it was moving in slow motion and the weather is a nice 80 degrees. My girl friend? well she is a vet now and ready to hit the road again. Hwy 1, don't think so LOL.

Last edited by riden2low; 07-26-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 AM
CSA
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Highway 1 is a twisty bastard but very pretty if you have the time to do it. I have driven the redwood highway many times in a Commercial Truck (semi). It truly is one of the prettiest routes to take in all of North America.

I am headed for LA tomorrow but due to time I will only be able to run 101. Oh well it beats the hell out of I-5!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
riden2low
Tourer

ride safe CSA. The valley is running around 104 degree. The 101 is a little less heat. Yep, will going back down and go into San Fransisco here soon. I have a buddy who I was in VietNam with that lives there. Haven't seen him for a couple of years. Then I want to hit the Hwy 1 again at Frisco down to Hearst Castle. Go thru Big Sur. Just got back from Seaside from their big Bike show there. It is getting bigger now. They closed the main street down for the first time like Strugis. It work out good and it may keep getting bigger.

Last edited by riden2low; 07-27-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:11 PM
BigTM
Cruiser

Sounds like a great ride, It was over 100 degrees here today. The beach is the place to be.T

Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I live just east of SF by abut 80 miles as the crow flies.... I have done the coast now a few times... Above SF is MUCH better thans Below SF and yes SF is bad on traffic... I post here a lot telling people to be aware - not sure if they listen or not - but they will find out... you think bay bridge is exp - Golden gate is $6 but like the Bay bridge - only charge is in the direction of the city - free to get out, lol

Think of the good news.. you could have been headed to Bakersfield - Now thats HOT.... no offense to those who live there, just the facts...

weather here today (Big city of Turlock - ??) has cooled a bunch... planning a ride over to Monterey on Monday...

Last edited by harley0711; 07-29-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 PM
djwhaley
Road Captain

If you were crossing bridges during rush hour you should not have had to pay bridge toll on a motorcycle you would have been commuters, car pool is free.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:45 PM
riden2low
Tourer

[QUOTE=djwhaley;5347246]If you were crossing bridges during rush hour you should not have had to pay bridge toll on a motorcycle you would have been commuters, car pool is free.

I will remember that for sure. Been a long time since I have been thru there. Hey, with a woman pissed and traffic going 80 miles an hour and me trying to grab money, I was glad to pay the man and get out of there LOL LOL

Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Carpool Policy for the Golden Gate Bridge
Vehicles eligible for free toll passage between the hours of 5 am to 9 am and 4 pm to 6 pm, weekdays, except on these observed holidays: New Year's Day; Presidents' Day (third Monday in February); Memorial Day (last Monday in May); Independence Day (July 4); and Labor, Thanksgiving, and Christmas days include:

Vehicles with three or more persons
Motorcycles, as defined and designated by the CA DMV, which includes three-wheeled motorcycles
Buses

Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

CARPOOL

Antioch, Benicia-Martinez, Carquinez and San Francisco-Oakland Bay bridges

Any 2-axle vehicle, without trailer(s), carrying three or more persons, may cross toll-free in designated lane(s)
Monday through Friday between 5 a.m.-10 a.m. and 3 p.m.-7 p.m.
Richmond-San Rafael Bridge

Any 2-axle vehicle, without trailer(s), carrying three or more persons, may cross toll-free in designated lane(s)
Monday through Friday between 5 a.m.-10 a.m. and 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
Dumbarton and San Mateo-Hayward Bridges

Any 2-axle vehicle, without trailer(s), carrying two or more persons, may cross toll-free in designated lane(s)
Monday through Friday between 5 a.m.-10 a.m. and 3 p.m.-6 p.m.

Any motorcycle, bus, or 2-axle vehicle, without trailer(s), designed by the manufacturer to be occupied by no more than two persons, carrying two persons, may also cross toll-free in designated lane(s) consistent with the above referenced hours of operation. Inherently-low-emission vehicles (ILEV) with DMV-issued decals, such as electric cars, may also cross toll-free in designated lane(s) consistent with the above referenced hours of operation. Note: This does not apply to qualified single-occupancy hybrid vehicles permitted to use dedicated High-Occupancy Vehicle (HOV)/carpool lanes in the Bay Area with the passage of Assembly Bill 2628 (AB 2628) on August 10, 2005.